Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HW40, Gamo compact, IZH46M or Rohm twinmaster Top?

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    errrmmm might be chucking a spanner in the works here...how about a good 2nd hand HW75?
    Good point, I think they seem to sit in the middle ground and get overlooked, Hw40 a good starter or something entry level like the IZZY is the norm, which is a shame because it's a great pistol.

Oh well there you go Lynne another one to think about, around £150 secondhand.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

My compact is great, as to cocking it, as its an ssp, the effort is not bad at all. Just rest the pistol on your lap, or a chair, and push down onto the top section, and it closes quite easily as you "lean" on it with your weight.

The PR45 isn't the same as it's not got an adjustable trigger, and it makes a lot of difference.

I've also done a trigger adjustment mod which works well, and being a "relatively" light pistol, the trigger pull doesn't interfere with the accuracy as much as before.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

HW40 or Compact or Izzy

When I said I was a 'wee girlie' it was humour, perhaps I should have said a 'mere girlie' . I'm very definately not wee! I just wasn't sure if this site was 100% males and whether you'd speak to a girlie. But obviously you are all a friendly bunch.

Thought I should confess to that, and then ask you very kind people, with Izzy experience, whether it is much heavier than yoru average match pistol. I've had a go on FWBs, and also Steyr LP2 (full version) with 4 weights on the muzzle, which was OK. Do you think the Izzy would work?

I spent the whole night with HW40s, Compact & Izzy's circulating in my brain - I feel like I'm going in circles. If only it was easier to try all three! I only know of a supplier of HW40s locally. I will try the club again this week and see if I can find any non-PCP users to chat to.

Thanks so much for all your ideas. Please keep them coming!

ps Izzy owners

Anyone within an hours drive of Ipswich that owns an Izzy I could come and hold, please.

Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post
    Anyone within an hours drive of Ipswich that owns an Izzy I could come and hold, please.

Just a thought!

Oooohhh Linnet,
    As your new and dont know the ways of the UBC yet, I wont start, but a post like that could really begin to lower the tone of the thread (especially when someone like me picks up on it)

Yeah were all friendly, well nutcases really if the truth be known, we have female members as well, and I' believe some members who want to be female, but their anatomy dictates otherwise (no names mentioned)

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Just a thought!
    Fighting the Urge, So many replies, don't scare off new member.

ok back to normal now, what ever that is.

But we still have Russ the Firestorm to go.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the

Can I put my oar in please?
    I own or have owned all the pistols mentioned except the Steyr (Which I have shot) DerekM is correct in his appraisal and I fully agree with him. I would go with with an Alpha Proj Co2 out of all of them if you don't count the Steyr, here's why.

1. Hw40. Excellent and accurate and the cheapest of the lot. It doesn't have target grips and apart from the rear sight, nothing much is adjustable and no, you can't really alter the Tru-glow sight. I still have my HW40 as it's my favourite plinker/paper puncher and, in my opinion, is a nicer gun than the....

2. Gamo Compact. I've owned 2 of them and they are cheaper built than the HW40, they are no more accurate but they do have wooden target grips. The trigger is not adjustable (Although Gamo says it is ) The cocking action is slightly heavier than the HW40 and they both will trap and pinch your skin if you aren't careful. My mate managed to pinch his nipple when cocking the Compact I have written a page on altering and improving the compact which you might want to read here...
    http://www.postcardfromspain.com/airgunclub.htm if I had to keep one of them, it would be the HW40....

3. HW75, a very nice and well built pistol, heavier and nicer looking than the first two BUT....it's ridiculously expensive compared to the first two and although the quality is there, it's no better accuracy wise, so no, I wouldn't buy another.

4. Baikal IZH46M. I have only recently sold mine and that was grudgingly because it was as accurate as an accurate thing on total accuracy day
    BUT....it was very agricultural, no finesse whatsoever, built more like a Massey Ferguson tractor than a target pistol and front heavy? Oh yes, you need a strong and steady hand to hold it on target plus, if you forget to click the pellet loader into place and fire, the 2 rubber seals blow out and vanish into the undergrowth..... I know all about that.....
    The grips are built for a 7' Russian with hands twice the size of mine, as others have done, I had to carve away and dremel them to half their original size. Accuracy wise, better than the first two but the weight and size put me off.

5. Alpha Proj Sport and the Tau 7. I still own the Alpha and can't fault it. It is slightly heavier than the first two but lighter than the IZZY, it's smaller, the grips are a lovely walnut and the whole pistol is well made. It has a sliding weight under the barrel, all the sights and trigger are adjustable and because it's Co2 (Over 100 shots per capsule) there is no exertion wasted in cocking it. The Tau 7 is equally as accurate (I've owned 2 of them) and slightly cheaper, but I prefer the Alpha, it suits me better. Both of these come with a bulk fill kit as well, so if you know a friendly pub owner who'll sell you a bottle......?

So, basing it purely on price, my opinion is the HW40 at the lower end and the Alpha Proj at the other, the others are good but.....don't quite turn me on. Not any more at my age anyway

I hope this is of help to you?
    ATB
    Nige

thanks

for all the replies today...Don't you lot have any work to do?

Thanks for the very lengthy response Nige, I appreciate your opinion having used all 3 of the guns I was/am considering.

With regard to CO2, I just haven't really considered this option due to the extra cost/hassle. I don't know any landlords

Compressed air is free at the club - if only I could afford a PCP and obviously the SSP is free to load apart from elbow grease. I expect as I get better, I will shoot less pellets but currently I'm averaging 100-150 per 3hour session. So for ease/cost, I'm presuming the SSP option would be best(?).

Linnet

You'll be using 2 capsules then? I don't know what they are in the UK nowadays but here they're 3.95 euros for 5. About 60p each?
    Anyway, if you're hankering after a Steyr, I reckon you'd be better off getting the HW40 purely on price, the Compact may look more of a target pistol but the trigger is really dreadful against the smooth let off of the HW40 which is precise and predictable, OK, it doesn't have wooden grips and the grip is smooth, but you can always rough it up a bit like I have, or indeed, you can wrap and stick cloth around it like I've seen done. Unless you're rich, don't bother with the HW75, a beautiful pistol but way too much money and the accuracy is no better. Power doesn't really come into the equation, you'll only be shooting 10m so the '40 is more than adequate. Save your pennies whilst you get used to the '40, then get yourself the Steyr

Which of course, is no more accurate than the Alpha
    You'll also find that snobbery is a big part of pistol buying

Nearly forgot. You'll build up healthy muscles with an ssp, plus being a woman, you'll need to be especially careful when cocking it......read what happened to my mate.....
    And lastly, the exertion in cocking an ssp 150 times will leave you with a trembling arm, honestly.

MojoCrow is offline It rubs the lotion on the anarchist ginger tom.....
    Contact (via personal message) pontiac on this forum as he recently bought a Rohm Twinmaster Top and might be able to give you his thoughts on it (don't worry he's as wierd as the rest of us). The HW40 is nice and light weight (but i found the cocking was irritating- felt like it would try and remove skin given half a chance). Beeman do a copy of it at a cheaper price (non fibre optic sights and slightly inferior finish).

And i am working; it's just that every time i try and work on a gun leaflet, the phone rings or someone comes into the shop. No disturbance while i'm on the forum, strange.
    Customised AA S400 Carbine
    Ros beef, go home! www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk SiHFT winners 2008 2009 2010

Linnet
    If we all done the work thing, we wouldn't be able to give out all this wonderful advise.

Linnet
    oh bugger, thanks for the reminder, yeah I have a Police Pistol Card to shoot, darn it its too dark now and have to be in Hull in the morning

Must remember to do it when I get in

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Work is for girly swots.
    Task avoidance is where it is at.

Just a thought!
    oh my God!....
    tempting, soooo tempting.....

get thee behind me satan

Russ There Jason, I can be good.
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

IZH 46 1.2Kg
    IZH 46M 1.3Kg
    Alfa 1.025Kg

Makes the Izzy 10 1/2 oz or nearly 3/4 lb heavier than the Alfa and because they (SSPs with big external levers) are front heavy, it makes a world of difference.

Try before you buy! Your choice.

BTW CO2 is only 30p per cartridge from our sponsor if you buy 100. Approx 80 shots with the Aeron/Alfa/Tau.

We put in bulk orders for gas, pellets etc at our club to economise on postage.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.