Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HW40, Gamo compact, IZH46M or Rohm twinmaster Top?

Quote Originally Posted by MattMoore View Post
    I'm in a very similar position as the original poster of this thread.
    I'm on the look out for alfa, aeron etc second hand, whats the best way to try and locate one?
    So far my travels on google have turned up fruitless apart from one alfa.
    Put a wanted ad. on here, including the "Collectable Airguns".

Don't forget that the "world class" manufacturers nearly all made CO2 guns between the single stroke pneumatics and the pre-charged models.

These can be found at good prices, again because they are not flavour of the month.

Apart from the propellant, they are probably 99.999999% the same performance and quality as today's £1000 offerings.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Alfa Proj CO2 Sport

Erratum - err I was misinformed by the internet . It appears that these may now be discontinued in the US, but having contacted the company direct thanks to the input from the Nige & Derek. They have informed me they ARE still supplying to the UK via:

Edgar Brothers
    Macclesfield, Cheshire
    Tel.: +44 1625 613 177

thanks for all the information guys....

Yours more confused than ever!

Linnet

ps Seriously you've been fab and I have a good short list to try and locate to have ago with and make that final decision. Many thanks again.

I never said Lynne wasnt the original poster?

Matt
    Sorry Miss read it.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post
    hmmmpphhh Is this a good time to find out if you're all raving conservatives and will kick me off the site, when I confess....... I bat for the other side!!eek:
    this thread gets better every day..

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

I'm in a very similar position as the original poster of this thread.

Thought you were going to come out of the closet for a second there Matt......

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Well there has been times with my girlfriend where she nearly drives me to it lol

IZH46M

Hi

I'm in Fleet ,Hampshire and have a IZH46M .
    If you are around the area at any point you are welcome to give it a try.

they are great pistols BUT front heavy, not a problem for me as i like them like that but it could put you off.

regards
    Steve
    If it's got tits or wheels it’s going to be expensive.....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Just to throw in another wild card....
    If you can find one - a FAS AP604 is a good compromise...
    Manufacturers details here...
    http://www.dominoguns.it/catalogo/?p...ria-compressa-

Its as light as a gamo compact, significantly easier to cock (same overlever method) and has a massively better trigger and grip.
    Its very well made too - no plastic anywhere.
    I've owned both and the FAS will easily outshoot you for quite a few years while you save up for something better.

BAR were selling them new at one point, but typically S/H they go at about the £150-200 mark

However, they are not so easy to find - but you could try a wanted ad.

Hi I'm using a HW40 (an old one without tru-glo) daily to practice for the UBC competition and love it. Like you, I've been thinking about getting a new pistol recently and have been doing my homework. I've concluded that I want a Pardini K-58 or FWB100 series, it's just a matter of tracking one down. Have you had a look here? http://www.egun.de/ I know some BBS members have bought successfully off there.

I've tried a Gamo Compact and didn't like it at all. The grip is better than that of HW40, but that's about it. It wasn't nice to fire, the build quality wasn't great and the trigger is terrible. I don't know how it gets the following it does

Good luck deciding - it's so hard!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi I'm using a HW40 (an old one without tru-glo) daily to practice for the UBC competition and love it. Like you, I've been thinking about getting a new pistol recently and have been doing my homework. I've concluded that I want a Pardini K-58 or FWB100 series, it's just a matter of tracking one down. Have you had a look here? http://www.egun.de/ I know some BBS members have bought successfully off there.

I've tried a Gamo Compact and didn't like it at all. The grip is better than that of HW40, but that's about it. It wasn't nice to fire, the build quality wasn't great and the trigger is terrible. I don't know how it gets the following it does

Good luck deciding - it's so hard!

Jon

Hi Jon
    Isn't it just!! Thanks for the info. I had heard there was an #### for guns but couldn't locate it - obv cos its german.

Linnet

CO2 storage and FACs

Dear All

Given CO2s have been added to the list of good pistols to look for by several of you. I thought it might help me and any other newbies reading this very long thread to know a little about CO2 storage.

I've heard it gets sluggish if too cold. But is it safe to store in a house?

Would you store it in:

1) Centrally heated spare room (not overally heated) safety being the concern on this one.

2) A cool damp cellar
    3) A water-tight but wooden outside shed- cold in winter/hot in summer.

In the case of the latter two options, I could bring just the capsules/ cannisters I'm going to use upstairs/indoors the day before?????

Are their any legal implications with its storage e.g. special gun cabinet for the capsules or anything??

Secondly, at the club last night someone said be careful the CO2 pistols don't need FACs.
    Now I know there is a ft/lb or MV issue to be adhered to, I guess I presumed(perhaps wrongly) that you wouldn't have recommended anything for my 10M range that needed an FAC. So between you could you please confirm that your recommendations below are FAC 'free' or otherwise. (For completeness for future readers I'll list as many guns as I can remember appear above!)

All in .177 ONLY

Alfa Proj CO2 Sport
    Tau 7 CO2
    Gamo Compact
    HW40
    Hw75
    FAS605A
    IZH46 or 46M

Many thanks as always!
    Linnet
    ps I'll be PC-less from 7pm til Sunday night - so it will be nice and quiet once again ....but more to the point, I'm not ignoring your lovely help!!

ps

RE>>>>"so it will be nice and quiet once again" ....

In case that wasn't clear - I mean for you guys, with me absent!!

CO2 cartridges can be safely kept in the house at normal temperatures and would only become dangerous in a hot oven! They are only slightly oversized sparklet bulbs, as used to make soda water (or the nitrogen ones to make whipped cream).

CO2 guns used to be FAC until live pistols were banned, then CO2 was liberated. Max power for an air or CO2 pistol is 6 fpe, but a CO2 target pistol is only around 2 - 3 fpe.

All the guns you listed will be legal and OK for 10m.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    CO2 cartridges can be safely kept in the house at normal temperatures and would only become dangerous in a hot oven! They are only slightly oversized sparklet bulbs, as used to make soda water (or the nitrogen ones to make whipped cream).

CO2 guns used to be FAC until live pistols were banned, then CO2 was liberated. Max power for an air or CO2 pistol is 6 fpe, but a CO2 target pistol is only around 2 - 3 fpe.

All the guns you listed will be legal and OK for 10m.
    Brillian! Thanks once again Derek
    Linnet

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Just to throw in another wild card....
    If you can find one - a FAS AP604 is a good compromise...
    Manufacturers details here...
    http://www.dominoguns.it/catalogo/?p...ria-compressa-

Its as light as a gamo compact, significantly easier to cock (same overlever method) and has a massively better trigger and grip.
    Its very well made too - no plastic anywhere.
    I've owned both and the FAS will easily outshoot you for quite a few years while you save up for something better.

BAR were selling them new at one point, but typically S/H they go at about the £150-200 mark

However, they are not so easy to find - but you could try a wanted ad.
    Another vote for the Fas from me. Probably the best over lever pnuematic made and far far superior to the compact and the HW40. I do have a 604 for sale on behalf of a member of the club where I coach. PM if interested.

A word or warning with the HW40 (oh and true glows are not allowed in ISSF competition), on occasions I have noticed a prominant muzzle flip when being used by shooters with a light grip (which you should be using anyway) and in particular kids and ladies. It would only really be an issue paper punching, but it will and does affect accuracy.

The Compact is the best all round starter match pistol but may need some work to the grip and a good polish of the sears to improve it.

My advice whilst not diminishing what others like Derek and Nige have posted would be to go for a compact, 604 or the Alpha to start you off, then as funds become available, an LP2 Junior although Walther also do a junior version which is worth looking at.

Finally the Rohms (the fact that there have been very few replies might be worth considering). Great for general shooting and fun but they have two major draw backs for serious 10m which are a fiddly single shot magazine and a slow lock time due to the hammer having to strike the release valve. Neither of these are helpful in competition.

Good luck.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975