Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HW40, Gamo compact, IZH46M or Rohm twinmaster Top?

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post

Finally the Rohms (the fact that there have been very few replies might be worth considering). Great for general shooting and fun but they have two major draw backs for serious 10m which are a fiddly single shot magazine and a slow lock time due to the hammer having to strike the release valve. Neither of these are helpful in competition.
    I own a Rohm Top, albeit modified for pistol FT, and I've never shot 10m properly, just the odd offhand plink at paper targets at a club and shooting the UBC 6yds comp, so I can't really comment about its use for 10m.

I would tend to agree with the comment about the single shot mag. A slightly fiddly loading cycle but you get used to it quickly.

However this thing about lock time. Has the lock time of the Rohm pistols been actually measured vs. other pistols? Yes the hammer has to snap forwards before the valve gets opened but once the trigger breaks the hammer doesn't hang about! What mechanism for opening the valve do other pistols use, and what kind of time advantage do they bring? Certainly most PCP rifles use a spring loaded hammer to knock open a valve so it must be popular in pistols too, being so cheap and simple to make (talking about cheap to mid range guns here, not top end). Unless we're talking about solenoids and other electrickery, the valve must be opened by spring pressure.

I'd be surprised if there was more than a few milliseconds between the different mechanisms which would be negligible compared to the time from the brain issuing the command to fire and the finger moving the trigger.

These days I'm increasingly of the opinion that the search for quickest lock time in airguns is a red herring, and furthermore that the only benefit of lightning lock times is to (attempt to) mask poor technique.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Lol only just noticed this massive thread, I've been too distracted by the rimfire section.

I have a Baikal IZH-46M and its is probably more accurate than most humans, easy to cock, only downside for you is its pretty front heavy, my girlfriend gets on alright with it, but after a while she complains her arms hurting.

It puts crisp holes in targets with wad cutters, I’ve been using RWS Hobby, and for plinking, it will go right through a lynx deodorant can with RWS Super point extras.

The one nice thing about this gun compares to some others is the quality, you really know you have purchased a quality piece when you pick it up, 99% wood/Metal construction (bar the rubber seals) no plastic anywhere, so it will last a lifetime, a real heirloom piece.

Good luck whatever choice you make.

Well if CO2 is now on the radar, the Drulov DU10/Zastava GP 45 is as accurate as an accurate thing, awesome trigger, true blowback semi auto 5 shot and deffo should be in that list.
    BTW, I wouldn't store my expensive toys outside in the cold and damp, If security was a real worry a floor safe or pistol/ammo safe in an under the stairs cupboard would keep them cushdy.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    How'd this Thread get 62 posts before I interjected?

I have a Beeman P3, same pistol as HW 40: great trigger, but hard for me to hold steady as I find it too light to soak up my hand-trembles.

I don't find it hard to cock, but then I'm a plus-200 lb. male who works out. My wife finds it hard to cock. (I'll stop here and await the comments!

One other problem: it took me awhile to stop catching a pinch of my thumb as the action closed -OUCH! - but I got the hang of it after awhile.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 14-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    How'd this Thread get 62 posts before I interjected?

Jim
    I am desperately resisting a comment about Yanks always being late when it matters.

OOps i said it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbet View Post
    I am desperately resisting a comment about Yanks always being late when it matters.

OOps i said it now!
    Now Now UBC play Nice.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Lynne for your first Post you have had a serious amount of feedback, will this thread ever end. (as Lynne comes back and says "I've changed my mind, can anyone suggest a good 10m Rifle")
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Lynne for your first Post you have had a serious amount of feedback, will this thread ever end. (as Lynne comes back and says "I've changed my mind, can anyone suggest a good 10m Rifle")
    Don't you mean Rimfire?????

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

I personally don't like rimfires

So I stopped eating curries

Only joking! I'm down to about 4 a week now

Now Now UBC play Nice.
    Hey, we just wanted you to have your fill of fun with Uncle Adolf and the Sun King, before we decided to take over and show you how it's done.

Come to think of it: we did pretty much the same thing in the FIRST War to End All Wars, didn't we?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    I personally don't like rimfires

:

So I stopped eating curries

Only joking! I'm down to about 4 a week now

Jim

That's because she's a girl, and we're trying to show off.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I own a Rohm Top, albeit modified for pistol FT, and I've never shot 10m properly, just the odd offhand plink at paper targets at a club and shooting the UBC 6yds comp, so I can't really comment about its use for 10m.

I would tend to agree with the comment about the single shot mag. A slightly fiddly loading cycle but you get used to it quickly.

However this thing about lock time. Has the lock time of the Rohm pistols been actually measured vs. other pistols? Yes the hammer has to snap forwards before the valve gets opened but once the trigger breaks the hammer doesn't hang about! What mechanism for opening the valve do other pistols use, and what kind of time advantage do they bring? Certainly most PCP rifles use a spring loaded hammer to knock open a valve so it must be popular in pistols too, being so cheap and simple to make (talking about cheap to mid range guns here, not top end). Unless we're talking about solenoids and other electrickery, the valve must be opened by spring pressure.

I'd be surprised if there was more than a few milliseconds between the different mechanisms which would be negligible compared to the time from the brain issuing the command to fire and the finger moving the trigger.

These days I'm increasingly of the opinion that the search for quickest lock time in airguns is a red herring, and furthermore that the only benefit of lightning lock times is to (attempt to) mask poor technique.
    Hi Adam

In a nice comfy stable position the lock time is less important, but when your at a 10m shoulder to shoulder, every millisecond can count and having shot many pistols over the years, you can tell the difference. The Rohm in particular seems to take forever to release the shot. Much of this is down to the trigger set up which you can't expect to be the same as a pistol costing twice or more as much. IMO if you're going to spend out on a decent pistol, you need to go from an entry level to a match grade pistol in one move. I'm not advocating this for back garden plinking or even HFT but ask any seasoned 10m pistol shooter what they use or would prefer to use and I doubt many would opt for anything less that a quality PCP.

The same applies in particular to FT and to a lesser extent in HFT. The quicker the lock time, the faster that pellet is heading into the kill zone. There's a measurable difference to my EV2 and any other rifle i've got. I miss far more targets with the "basic" rifles than I do with the EV when taking kneelers or standers or even on a windy day.

I wonder how many MK3 owners would go back to a "standard" rifle?

Its the samer old thing though with any gun, pistol or rifle. You always think you've got the best until you try someone elses more expensive gun.

Why I even thought my Drulov was the bees knees when I got it
    Cracking pistol for HFT but nowhere near the grade for 10m.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Hi Bob

[Apologies to the OP for long thread hijack!]

Just want to say I'm not fighting the Rohm's corner as the gun to get for 10m by any means. I like mine but wouldn't buy a new one. I'd put that money toward a 2nd hand Steyr LP50

I'd agree with the points about entry level straight to quality if you're serious, but that's not really the issue. My issue is with lock time being some sort of holy grail. People constantly spout stuff about gun A having a "quicker" lock time than gun B, but how much quicker? Where are the figures?

I don't doubt that your high end rifles are better than your lesser ones, but is that solely down to lock time? I doubt it very much.

Your EV2 for instance is designed for FT. Trigger pull, adjustments, stock etc all add to the whole package. It's bound to help scores in FT vs a standard sporter. I shoot FT with my HW100 and my scores on kneelers and standers improved hugely just by putting a GinB FT stock on it. I've tried Steyrs and Dommies though not an EV2 and I've noticed no earth shattering difference in lock time over my HW. The Walther trigger is quite a bit better but that's to be expected.

Fair enough point about the trigger on the Rohm, it's certainly not in the same league as my FWB 65 for example, but that's irrelevant to lock time which starts when the trigger breaks.

My position is, all other things being equal, lock time does not make as much difference as people think. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's virtually negligible, and the only benefit of it is a form of "placebo effect" where if people are likely to have more confidence in gun A than gun B.

Let's take a simple example. Imagine your crosshairs sweep across a 40mm kill zone in quarter of a second (so 160mm/sec). You break the trigger when the crosshair is in the centre of the kill zone. Imagine your rifle has a lock time of 8ms. The pellet will leave the muzzle when the crosshair is 1.28mm off centre. Imagine then a rifle with a lock time of 13ms* (a difference of 5ms). The crosshair will have moved 2.08mm, a difference of 0.8mm!

Actually I suspected the differences would be small but I'm actually surprised how small!

* Source: Cardew, The Airgun from Trigger to Target. He quotes typical lock time of a PCP as 8.6ms and a springer as 13ms.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Good God! 4.4msec difference! That's time to read the Daily Mail. Well maybe not quite. Maybe the Sun?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.