Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: HW40, Gamo compact, IZH46M or Rohm twinmaster Top?

Smile Ratgunner

Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post
    Thanks to all the wonderful advice you BBS members gave me, this post has become a pretty informative thread for any new and confused target shooter wanting to buy a cheap competition air pistol....I've noted some of you point other newbies at it already......

So I thought I'd add a ps.

I actually went to play with an HW40 this afternoon. (Thanks to a very lovely UBC member - who I won't name in case he doesn't want 16000 BBS members calling!)

The HW40 is a fab little air pistol, and cheap as chips really. I WANT one , and aim to get one in a month or 2 - for garden plinking and 6M UBC comps. With practice, using the 'Cookie method' so I'm told (finger and thumb to push the top down) wasn't too difficult.

BUT buying a secondhand CO2 match pistol - was definately the spot-on choice for 10M target, for those that can't afford a PCP. I love my Tau 7! I've put about 1500 pellets through it in 2 months, so I'm getting to know it well. Accuracy is brilliant in the right hands (not mine yet!).

Also shot a BRNO Aeron B96 this pm, an equally fine CO2 match pistol, takes 5 pellet mags, so may be more fiddly for single-shot comps. The Alfa Proj also comes highly recommended, see details earlier in the thread.

Hope that helps another newbie!
    Glad you got a nice Co2 pistol and you can always stir a good curry with a wooden spoon,
    having heard you fancy a HW40 I thought I'd let you know that I dropped a Tasco Rhino 2x32 pistol scope on mine using rifle 2 screw mounts to spread the load and set it as far back in the grooves as I could,
    this made a really well balanced combo as the weight is over the butt, the advantage also is that you can press down on the rear scope mount to close the pistol making it very easy, some 4.51mm domed pellets and your a sniper,

Happy Shooting Linnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnet67 View Post

The HW40 is a fab little air pistol, and cheap as chips really. I WANT one , and aim to get one in a month or 2 - for garden plinking and 6M UBC comps. With practice, using the 'Cookie method' so I'm told (finger and thumb to push the top down) wasn't too difficult.
    I told the wife about the use of the finger and thumb being the Cookie Method, she smiled and said of course it is.

So did i miss something, how did this become the Cookie method.

atvb

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    At least (SHE) the good wife made me one.

He's not a bad lad our Eric, we hhave had a few deals.

He even sold me a Tau7, personally i didn't like it Couldn't hit a barn door with it at 4 paces, still i am a c--p shot.
    That Aeron on the other hand is a beauty, me likes Pity 'm not wedged up like Eric Lol

Glad you like your Tau, noisy little beggars are they not

atb Red
    Eric is a lovely chap.
    i think the Tau is brill. Shot a 46 on a 5 pellet card and 87 on a 10 pellet card yesterday (AT 10m), , so pretty happy with it but YES it is noisy.

Which was why I thought an HW40 might be fun for the back garden! Any excuse, just might have to wait a while longer in this current climate.

Linnet
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    Glad you got a nice Co2 pistol and you can always stir a good curry with a wooden spoon,
    having heard you fancy a HW40 I thought I'd let you know that I dropped a Tasco Rhino 2x32 pistol scope on mine using rifle 2 screw mounts to spread the load and set it as far back in the grooves as I could,
    this made a really well balanced combo as the weight is over the butt, the advantage also is that you can press down on the rear scope mount to close the pistol making it very easy, some 4.51mm domed pellets and your a sniper,

Happy Shooting Linnet.
    Thanks for the advice re the scope, might have to try that. Also the wooden spoon advice

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    I told the wife about the use of the finger and thumb being the Cookie Method, she smiled and said of course it is.

So did i miss something, how did this become the Cookie method.

atvb

Jason
    The only answer to that is Eric told me, try and stop that becoming a viscious rumour snigger!

Look for a second hand Tau 7 . co2 not a problem. Reliable and no effort to load also vv accurate.Pay 150 -200.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Look for a second hand Tau 7 . co2 not a problem. Reliable and no effort to load also vv accurate.Pay 150 -200.
    Not sure if you are teasing or haven't read all the post???

I have a Tau7 - following advice from guys on here and its FAB! So I certainly can't argue with your advice.

But I'm so hooked on paper punching I want a back garden plinker AS WELL, so I don't wreck the Tau's CO2 seals in the cold again Sadly household stuff has taken over, so I will have to wait a bit longer for the HW40.

Sorry hadnt read it all- you already made the right decision!

Don't run it to low on gas! or the pellet will get stuck in the barrel!
    East fix though.

Quote Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
    Don't run it to low on gas! or the pellet will get stuck in the barrel!
    East fix though.
    I've already learn to carry a rod!
    (Actually a bamboo knitting needle!!)

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Linnet
    If you wish to shoot 10 mt target then remember you get what you pay for, as a beginner you should not buy a pistol you have not tried, and not just briefly, some of the pistols refered in this thread are not competitive target pistols, such as the HW and Gamo, they are cheap starters and you will quickly be disatisfied, I would consider them a back ward step to the FWB. The FWB you are using I presume is a 65 or 80? They are an excelent pistol, pre 1980 every world record was held with them, mens, women, and juniors, and every one had one, still have mine bought in 1972, in the right hands they will still shoot world level scores, but they are out of date now and there are a lot of good pistols out there, but properly set up the FWB has a superb trigger (the HW, gamo, and the Rohm are all a touch agriculural) and it points and ballances well, I have a modern expensive Walther but occasionaly revert to the FWB and get surprised at how good it is.
    A tip to cocking the FWB, rest the end of the barrel side on onto the bench, and pull the lever down, it takes that strain off the wrist, that was the standard cocking acting for many people.
    Best of Luck
    Robin