Thread: Swarovski Range finder

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)

Swarovski Range finder

For the last few weeks, I have been lucky enough to get my hands on some very nice optics. I've been playing with some NV gear (HMNVS) aswell as some thermal scopes. As part of the work, I was loaned (they are staying with me for as long as I need them) some Swarovski Range finders, the same as these.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...482/Show.html?

I thought I would just share my experiences with them.

I have had them now for three weeks and been with me in the field every day. They basically meant for me to use them as bino's for observing the trials I have been involved with.

They came in a nice solid card box, which itself, had a feeling of quality to it.

The unit itself comes with a neck strap and a thing that protects the lens which can be mounted on your belt. I dumped that and put them in a pouch with I can put in my jacket pocket for ease of storage.

They are basically an 8x30 monocular which is encased in a non-slip rubber shell. They feel solid and I mean really solid. I would have preferred them to be a bit lighter, but the weight gives them a feeling of robustness.

Optically, they are excellent. Very bright and crisp. Even in low light, they give clear picture. I was observing troop and vehicle movement at over 2.5 km quite easily. The range finder will go out to 1300 yards approx 1150 m which for me, is more than enough. I have read many reviews saying that they are also very accurate out to that distance. I certainly worked them out to be within 15 M at 1100 M, (worked out from a GPS aswell as a map)

To get the range, you point them in the general direction of your target, press the button on top once, which wakes the unit up and gives you an aiming point then press again to get the distance measurement. They will measure in Yards and Meters, which is selected by a switch in the battery compartment.

I have never really seen the need for a range finder, as I currently only shoot with an air rifle and can judge upto 60 m or so, with relative ease, however, now I have a set, they are coming in very handy. They have taken over the pocket that faithfully housed my trusty old binos for years and will stay there for as long as I can get away with. I don't want to become dependent on them and I do actually use them to train my range finding. I judge a distance then use the LRFs to confirm.

The only real downside is the price. £660 is very steep imo, but they are a top piece of kit. Would I pay that much for them? Probably not but I do love them all the same.
    I plink, therefore I am.

nice write up. yes there alot of money but you only get what you pay for

i would like one but havnt that find of money anymore if i had have been in to guns more years ago when i was wasting money on cars instead

i would have been able to have the top of the range gun gear instead.
    the swarovski stuff is very nice. shame im never going to be able to get any

if i where you keep it for as long as you can

you can get these for a tad under £500 if you do your shopping chaps