Thread: Importing from Canada

Importing from Canada

Hi Folks
    Has anybody purchased a non firing replica musket from Militaryheritage.com then had the vent hole drilled from the pan to the breach.

I have been looking around trying to find a replica Baker rifle as it has always been a fascination to me and would like to own and shoot one.

I have yet to apply for a FAC and had thought that purchasing one of these would be a start as Militaryheritage.com say they will give you the details of a company in the USA that makes the rifled barrel which will convert the gun from a Baker Musket to a Baker rifle.

The info I am after is:
    has anybody had any dealings with this company,
    was it/is it a hassle to get a non firing replica imported into the UK.
    would I have difficult importing a rifled barrel
    what sort of cost would I be looking at to get the vent drilled and the gun proved.

Thanks
    Nigel

Nigel,

Interesting site!

The Baker looks like it could well be one of the Indian made ones. They may well have improved but I bought one about 10 years ago for around £400 and it really was rubbish. I was very pleased to sell it on for £200about a year later!

If it is the Indian version, Henry Kranks current price is £420 which might end up cheaper than buying from Canada after you have paid delivery, customs duty and handling fees.

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but you could get a much better gun at half the price.

Steve.

Just a thought, Baker's rifling was odd and very deep by today's standards. The deep crown meant you could use the blunt end of the ramrod to hammer in a ball without damaging it. If you don't specify real Baker rifling you will certainly get common or garden patch ball rifling which doesn't look at all right. Americans

Hi Steve,Robin
    Thanks for the replies I will contact them and ask the questions. I have an Indian Brown Bess replica for use on the range and a genuine artical for the wall.
    The Indian one is no thing of outstanding beauty but does throw lead down the range and puts a big smile on my face so I know what you mean.

Nigel