Thread: MATCHLOCK INFO NEEDED.

MATCHLOCK INFO NEEDED.

I have what I think is an old matchlock and would like some info on it.
    Can't work out how to post pics, can anyone help?
    The gun is in quite rough condition and has certainly seen better days.It is approx. 6 feet long, the barrel measures 61 inches. The muzzle looks slightly flared. There are six brass bands. The stock is marked with the letters S.L.N. and the numbers 887. There is also a swastika cut into the stock, it is the correct way, not shown reversed as the German version is. The ramrod is also present but a little fragile.
    I know it is difficult to give information without photos. but as I say I can't work out how to put them on this section.

Brass bands sounds Indian/Arab, European barrels were usually pinned. Bit long for Jap but they did go wild on occasion

Does it have a sidelock or is the mechanism sort of built into the stock with a button underneath?

Hard to even guess much at all without a piccy.

I'd guess Indian. Don't know much about matchlocks but the swastika (either way) is an ancient Hindu symbol.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Brass bands sounds Indian/Arab, European barrels were usually pinned. Bit long for Jap but they did go wild on occasion

Does it have a sidelock or is the mechanism sort of built into the stock with a button underneath?

Hard to even guess much at all without a piccy.
    The mechanism is built into the stock and is covered on both sides by brass plates.
    Will try to get my son to post a link to some pics when he comes home. I am crap with computers.

Possibly a Torador. Does it look anything like this?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ed/torador.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Possibly a Torador. Does it look anything like this?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ed/torador.jpg
    Yes it is very similar to this one. Any idea of age, history etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Fagan View Post
    Yes it is very similar to this one. Any idea of age, history etc?
    Late 18th, early 19th century, India, this is the gun Mowgli was up against.

Move left into Islaam and you find Jezails in flint, Dr Watson was shot with a Jezail. Move right in to Burma and you find snapping matchlocks prevail as you approach Japan, don't know who they shot at. Europe is flint but these were still being made as we moved in to percussion.

India got converted when the French started to interfere with our lucrative East India Company trade. We let the Americans win their rebellion and concentrated our efforts on a much richer prize. Between us and the French we flooded the sub-continent with guns, made lots over there, but village blacksmiths still continued to hammer out these things. Some would say that the long barrel indicates poor quality powder, I'm not convinced.

They were cheap as chips for years, tended to go in lots of ten, but recently the value has started to rise. Suggest you sit tight for a bit if thinking of selling.

MATCHLOCK INFO NEEDED.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Late 18th, early 19th century, India, this is the gun Mowgli was up against.

Move left into Islaam and you find Jezails in flint, Dr Watson was shot with a Jezail. Move right in to Burma and you find snapping matchlocks prevail as you approach Japan, don't know who they shot at. Europe is flint but these were still being made as we moved in to percussion.

India got converted when the French started to interfere with our lucrative East India Company trade. We let the Americans win their rebellion and concentrated our efforts on a much richer prize. Between us and the French we flooded the sub-continent with guns, made lots over there, but village blacksmiths still continued to hammer out these things. Some would say that the long barrel indicates poor quality powder, I'm not convinced.

They were cheap as chips for years, tended to go in lots of ten, but recently the value has started to rise. Suggest you sit tight for a bit if thinking of selling.
    Thanks very much for your reply. Thats the most information I have ever seen crammed into a couple of paragraphs.
    Looks like I will be keeping it for a while.
    Once again thank you.
    Kev.