Thread: Makarov imports to US

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Makarov imports to US

I sometimes remark how, contrary to popular belief, US gun laws are sometimes TOUGHER than the UK's.

A recent case in point: it appears that as a result of some recent agreement or administrative action: Makarov pistols, which have become very popular here, are no longer being imported.

Strangely, even though air guns are not regarded as firearms under US federal law, this ban or restriction extends to air pistols as well.

I'm wondering...not looking for legal advice, just thinking out loud...if I bought a Makarov air pistol or two on a tourist trip to England, and put it into checked baggage, would there be any problems exiting or entering Customs?

Or ditto if I mail ordered from here to there: I understand that your recent VCR Act did not affect foreign mail order sales.

Can anyone recommend a good air gun shop in London?

Just thinking....

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I'm unsure of the laws and such but i would have thought you exporting a Mak in your baggage into the US would have the US customs crawling through it and you possibly arrested???

If i remember correctly our sponsors JSRamsbottom were a good supplier of the Mak pistols before the VCR bill, contact them and they would surely put you straight on the export legals!

Good little fun gun the Maks, I had 2 but got fed up of the inaccuracy of the lead bb's, be much better if they fired .177 pellets

ATVB PAUL

Hi Jim, is it one of these you're thinking of?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322605

Before I bought it I had a look around the Net and I'm sure I read the the US stopped importing for fear they could be converted to fire cartridge ammo.

I got this to play with for awhile, not a keeper. I've got some, like the Smith & HW45 that are here to stay.

atb Phil

=

www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post
    I'm unsure of the laws and such but i would have thought you exporting a Mak in your baggage into the US would have the US customs crawling through it and you possibly arrested???

If i remember correctly our sponsors JSRamsbottom were a good supplier of the Mak pistols before the VCR bill, contact them and they would surely put you straight on the export legals!

ATVB PAUL
    Thanks, Paul, I will contact JSR.

No, our laws here - federal laws, anyway - don't consider airguns to be firearms, so they SHOULDN'T (I'm not saying for sure!) be "stopped" at customs as an illegal firearms import.

I'm mainly concerned there about the issues of

1) some US Customs agent regarding them AS cartridge firearms, and subjecting me to a ration of trouble; and more so,

2) do whatever specific restrictions we have on MAKAROV pistols (INCLUDING air pistols) apply to someone bring one in as a private purchase?

Also, clearing UK Customs on the way out could be a problem.

It might be simpler just to order one from the UK by mail / Internet order.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Jim, is it one of these you're thinking of?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322605

Before I bought it I had a look around the Net and I'm sure I read the the US stopped importing for fear they could be converted to fire cartridge ammo.

I got this to play with for awhile, not a keeper. I've got some, like the Smith & HW45 that are here to stay.

atb Phil

=
    That's the one, Phil.

Yes, I think that's the reason for our restrictions on them: some street criminals had bought them (unregulated), and converted them to fire cartridge ammo: much as happened with Brococks in the UK.

And congratulations on your fine showing in the past two Police Pistol competitions: Silver and Gold!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    That's it, Chip!

That boy owns some beautiful air pistols, doesn't he?

Jim

Jim, I believe the Feds banned import of the Makarov air pistol some time ago. They claimed it was convertible to a live firearm.
    They were imported to the U.S for a time, and are now extremely rare commanding rather high prices.

I would expect trouble at U.S customs. If you do decide on one, they are sold new by York guns IIRC.

I had one for a bit too, again, not a keeper though. Of interest because of its manufacture, very very strongly made, the real steel. However not that much of a joy to shoot. PPK/S much nicer if worked on, can't beat the blow back.
    Its more of a partially operational replica. It would struggle to win PPC!
    A bit agricultural when new but they do bed in and improve, the grips don't get any more comfortable though.
    Surely you can just pop down to the corner shop and pick up a proper one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbet View Post
    Surely you can just pop down to the corner shop and pick up a proper one.
    Do you mean a cartridge version? I suspect they, like the air pistol version, have become scarce and hence expensive.

Jim

From what i have read MAKS, the real firearm are very much still available in the US. And are a popular concealment weapon due to their size.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    Jim, I believe the Feds banned import of the Makarov air pistol some time ago. They claimed it was convertible to a live firearm.
    They were imported to the U.S for a time, and are now extremely rare commanding rather high prices.

I would expect trouble at U.S customs. If you do decide on one, they are sold new by York guns IIRC.
    according to this site they now can be imported to the US, unless its been changed again.

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/airpistol_mp-654K.htm