Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My response to an anti.

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.

My response to an anti.

Just briefly, Mick is the father of a Dunblane victim who was on Radio 2 yesterday.

"Mick isn't looking for an excuse, he's not that sort of man, it is just he, like many others, me included, cannot see the sense and reason behind anyone wanting to have a weapon that can kill another human being."

But many things can kill another human being, cars is the most common example, but kitchen knives, ice axes, cylinders of compressed air, and so on. I recall that the IRA used to make mortar bombs out of Calor Gas cylinders, for example.

Mans inhumanity to man is a part of the human condition, and creating a society where the occasional killer does not emerge will take far more than banning guns or any of the objects mentioned above. People kill each other with handy stones or their bare hands, and you can't legislate them away can you?? Singling out firearms is both disproportionate, and unfair on those of us who use them in a legal and peaceful manner.

"What people don't seem to realise is that when you shot someone it isnt like on the TV. These people don't appear in another episode or another TV show. People who are shot if they arn't unconscious are writhing around in agony. Once a bullett penetrates a body invariably it doesn't stay in one place, it will hit a bone and then go through to another part of the body. That is the affect it has on the person that has been shot. "

I'm not sure who you are addressing these comments to, but I will resist the temptation to accuse you of teaching me to suck eggs. Sporting shooters are in general far more aware of the consequences of shooting something than non shooters. Using myself as an example I have shot hundreds of Rabbits, pigeons, the occasional pheasant, and so on. I have seen the effects of firearms on living fleshmany times, and I have seen the effects of them on inanimate objects. (Which can be just as demonstrative.) Most adults are aware, or should be aware, of the fraility of human life, and of our mortality. Personally, I lost a parent, a friend, three grandparents, and a boy at school who used to kick the crap out of me, by the time I was 18. Like most adults, I am aware that if I shoot someone they do not get up and walk away. None of the animals I have ever hunted have ever come back to life either.

If you are not leveling this charge not against sports shooters, but against the urban youth who seem to want to equip themselves with a "blinging gat", then you may be right, but point me to a period in history where most young men were fully aware of the consequences of their actions, and of their own mortality. The young boys who marched off to WWI believed that they would 'give the Hun a drubbing and it would all be good fun. Home by Christmas, etc. etc.' I'm sure the young men at Agincourt believed the same thing! Again, we come back to eternal truths of the human psyche, and legislating against guns is not going to have any effect. Young men (teenagers) also tend to get into fights and punch each other and so on, again, these actions can have deadly consequences, but they do not consider those either. Perhaps a more sensible thing to do would be to look at why many inner city youths feel they need a gun to empower themselves. What is it about their lives that is so sad and empty that they feel that violence and crime are the only ways forward in life?

"What is the affect on the person doing the shooting? If ordinary everyday people were allowed to have guns (to defend themselves) what affect would it have on them knowing that they killed someone? You can call criminals scumbags, lowest of the low whatever you like, but when you shoot someone you just don't walk away from something like that like they do on TV. The person doing the shooting would probably be traumatised for the rest of their lives. Ask any motorist who has accidentally killed someone in an accident. They are haunted, and that was an accident. To stand in front of someone and pull the trigger knowing you will kill that person is not easy. The cinema and TV have tended to glorify guns, but it is the opposite, they are horrible, dangerous weapons. There should be tighter laws all round, we should not let ordinary people in the street have them and we should certainly put every endeavour into getting illegally held weapons off the street."

Firearms for self defense is not something that I would claim to be an expert on, but I would like to make a few points.

Firstly, ordinary people being armed and able to defend themselves with lethal force has been the norm throughout history until fairly recently. Even as late as the 1860's it was not uncommon for gentlemen to carry pocket pistols when travelling, to defend themselves against highwaymen. I am not saying that we should return to that state of affairs, but it is worth bearing in mind that the current, disarmed and defenceless, citizen, is the exception rather than the rule in the span of human civilization.

Secondly, evidence from America where the principle of Self defence with firearms is well established, and it is legal to have firearms for that purpose has shown several things. Firstly, the threat of armed intervention by citizens tends to reduce crime. Secondly, that in the majority of cases the firearm is merely presented to the criminal, and not discharged.

I don't know what percentage of people suffer psychological effects after being involved in an incident of this kind, but I will have a hunt around on the web. I would like to point out that in the case of a car accident, it was an accident, and the person killed is generally percieved as being innocent. In the case of a householder shooting an intruder, the householder has to conciously decide to shoot them first, and the shooting is, perhaps, morally justifiable, both of which factors would have an effect on the future state of mind of the individual concerned.

Please do not say that I am advocating a wholly armed society, I am just trying to put across the other side of the story. I do believe, however, that we should not simply rule out an armed society without giving it careful consideration. I would just briefly like to point out that away from the oft quoted American example, in Switzerland most houses contain a military rifle as part of the nations defence plans, and they have a low level of gun crime. (I couldn't comment on whether these facts are related.)

I agree that the cinema, 'gangsta' culture, and so forth, have tended to glorify guns and gun based violence, but this is a seperate issue to sporting shooters. Out of the sporting shooters that I have come across, I have never met any that view themselves in that kind of a way. I disagree that guns are "horrible dangerous weapons" as I have pointed out elsewhere, the idea that all guns are designed to kill people is patently false. I doubt you would charge all bows and arrows as being designed to kill people, but originally they were. Modern target and hunting rifles are often as far removed from military guns as modern target bows are from the Longbows of the middle ages. They are all capable of killing, but they are not designed with killing (people anyway) as their function.

"By the way, some of the bulletts in Dunblane were exploding bulletts. Imagine a tiny body of the child with an exploding bullett inside it. Hamilton was mad, yes, but he wasn't always like that, something made him go over the edge, and no one, absolutely no one, can say that in a given circumstance, that the same thing couldn't happen to them."

Unfortunately, in this last paragraph I feel that you have let yourself down with the use of imagery designed to tug at the heartstrings, and thus support your point through emotional blackmail. Your first lines about 'exploding bullets' don't appear to have any relevance to any particular point, you merely ask us to imagine a child being shot. You will forgive me for appearing callous in my following paragraph, but if we are to have a debate on this issue based on facts then I cannot let that rather unpleasant image disturb me too much, as it was clearly intended to.

Firstly, 'exploding bullets' I take it that by that you mean expanding ammunition. This is rather different. An exploding bullet is generally accepted to mean a bullet that contains an explosive which detonates on impact or shortly afterwards. These kind of bullets are generally only used in large calibre guns (For use against vehicles etc.) in the military context, and have never, as far as I know, been available to the public. An expanding bullet, on the other hand, usually has an exposed lead tip(bullets are usually coated in a hard alloy, like copper.) and/or a 'hollow point' arrangement. A few have tips made of a synthetic polymer. These bullets are outlawed in international conflicts, and were developed, (In handguns) for police use, as they will not penetrate a suspect and injure bystanders or hostages behind him, and if they miss their target and hit a wall or similiar they will tend to break up rather than cause dangerous ricochets. They also have the effect of causing more tissue damage to the target killing them more quickly, which is safer for the Police and less painful for the person shot. This kind of ammunition is now illegal for rifles (handguns are banned remember) except where it is needed for hunting. (It ensures more humane kills.) I can only presume that it was in use by handgun shooters before 1997 for its reduced richochet hazard. (Rifle bullets of this type tend to have been developed for hunting, and have different properties of expansion and penetration, depending on the kind of game they are to be used on, for example, thick skinned buffaloes or Alligators would require a different kind of bullet to Deer or Antelope.)

With regards to a child being shot with expanding ammunition, this is no more horrible than a child shot with unexpanding ammunition, so why bring it up? But many would argue that it is a less traumatic death than being hacked to death with a machete, for example, so perhaps your deliberate use of emotional imagery ignores the full story. (and no, I'm not saying we should give everyone guns so that when people do go mad, the people that they kill die more humanely. I am just saying that your use of graphic and unpleasant imagery ignores the far more unpleasant alternatives.)

As to the second part of your final paragraph, you are perhaps right that no one can be sure the that they would not go mad too. But the police missed the obvious signs of his madness, and the details of his Firearms Certificate application are, I understand, still secret. One has to ask why. The system as it stands, if properly enforced, has numerous checks to ensure that licence holders are as low risk (in this respect) as possible. Persons who have been on anti-depressants at any time in the past are generally excluded, as are heavy drinkers, people with a history of mental problems. (Again, this can include things as trivial as stress related problems and depression)
    Alex

(I've never had a post that was too big before! )

I didn't have room to explain above, the quotes are taken from a lady who posted a comment on the radio 2 forum, after it was suggested that Mick was perhaps using the anti gun campaign as a substitute for dealing with his grief.
    Last edited by RemMag; 08-07-2004 at 12:22 PM.

SWAT Strachan is online now I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    Concise, intelligent and well stated. Good work sir.
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

Thank you SWAT!!

I have tried not to get bogged down in too many detail but it annoys me intensly when people say that all guns are designed to kill, they're not. I don't think that the designers of the CZ452 sat down and discussed how to make the gun as efficient against human targets as possible! If they did I suspect it would be semi or automatic, shoot a .223 or .30 calibre round, and have a mag capacity in excess of 5 or 10 rounds.

Yes, Excellent.....well the parts I read, as the Boss is about....

Alex

I can't possibly imagine what the parents of the children at Dunblane felt or feel. God help them.

One of the things they must want is some sort of retribution, or some sort of positive response to that 'sick' episode in their lives. For 'nothing' to have happened -no change- would have been unacceptable to everyone. What happened, the handgun ban, was not the right answer. An answer, but not the right one. It just spread the suffering, though I'm not in any way trying to compare the level of suffering to that of the parents. (For none could).

I believe there is no sane argument that can be offered, that will go any way towards justifying gun ownership to the parents at Dunblane.

The same might be true if a child had been killed by a young inexperienced driver. The parent may be inclined to raising the legal age for driving a motor car. Statistically there might be some support for this, but it would be politically unacceptable. Alternately, the voting public fearing 'gun crime' saw a hand gun ban as being very desirable.....

As we now know, this was a bit like Kanute telling the tide to go away. [While banning bottled water on the beach, believing it would influence the ocean].

My take on the hand gun issue is that's it's a lost cause. However, rifles are a completely different issue. This country would see physical changes to our lives if rifles were banned.

Some of the BASC/MAG initiative is to educate the 'yoof culture' that any guns are dangerous. I think our role (as shooters) is to try to educate others of the necessity of rifles for pest control, and how safety conscious we all are.

Certainly the direct comparison Keef made with regard to getting a drivers license, to that of getting an FAC made interesting reading. I'm sure the general public have no idea about the procedure.

Edited to correct an attribution error.
    Last edited by Baldie; 08-07-2004 at 11:26 AM.
    To be good, one must do good.

Certainly the direct comparison you made with regard to getting a drivers license, to that of getting an FAC made interesting reading. I'm sure the general public have no idea about the procedure.
    That was Keef, I think, not me.

Alex

Definitely agree with SWAT, well done!

Let's just hope that it is read and understood in the spirit it was written.

Doug...
    All generalisations are dangerous, even this one!

Alex

OOPS!

Apologies to you and Keef. I was half asleep when I read the post.

Anyway, his 'comparsion' was good work, as is yours. (phew).

I stand by my point though. Were I a parent of one of the lost children, I doubt in my mind any amount of intelligent prose would justify (to me) the possession of firearms.

We should all be looking for ways to produce a more positive PR stance about our 'sport'. We NEED it.

well done

an excellent thread well written. I remember the day of the dunblane shooting. I was driving across the wolds when it came over the radio it was a terrible tradigy for all involved. I agree that some people will allways find ways to hurt other people this is part of human nature. I do not belive in baning hunting rifles I do however feal that the case against handguns is somewhat justified. a handgun such as a 357 or 9mm has been specificaly designed to kill humans this is their purpose. I do not belive you can have a legitimate hunting use for it? this is just my opinion and some or many of you may disagree but that is just the way i feel.
    si

Apologies to you and Keef. I was half asleep when I read the post.
    Been up all night have you?

I know we can never justify gun ownership to those parents, but I think that the guy on the radio yesterday, and his efforts to shout down the other speaker, proved that they can't logically justify a gun ban to me.

I know that what happened is a terrible thing but I am starting to get tired of hearing the same two examples being wheeled out again and again.

Alex

Originally posted by Baldie
    Alex

I believe there is no sane argument that can be offered, that will go any way towards justifying gun ownership to the parents at Dunblane.

Exactly. We all know what we think and they all know what they think. They will never bother to put in the time to read long tracts of prose in order to be persuaded out of a deeply-held view. I didn't either, because I know what I think. If there's anyone such a lengthy argument should be addressed to, it's the undecided, not the antis.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Originally posted by alexclarke
    Been up all night have you?

Late enough...

Check the time stamp on this....

I know we can never justify gun ownership to those parents, but I think that the guy on the radio yesterday, and his efforts to shout down the other speaker, proved that they can't logically justify a gun ban to me.

I know that what happened is a terrible thing but I am starting to get tired of hearing the same two examples being wheeled out again and again.

Alex

I take your point about the continuing, but same, argument. My take is there's not a sensible solution that could stop the fears of parents everywhere, and convince them a 'repeat' of the massacre is impossible. America has what seems like an 'annual' event along this line, and the MAG are trying to ensure it remains a 'once off' over here.

We need to take the argument out of the closet......

YOU SAID IT ALL ALEXCLARKE WELL DUN.

Good points, well argued. I always like the car comparison too, because if prevention of anguish and suffering were more important points than political popularity, then the government would have to ban them all tomorrow.

So was it sent to Mick, and have you had any reply ?