Thread: Anschutz 335 piston washer

Anschutz 335 piston washer

In another thread you will most likele read that my daughter has done it again ... this time finding a virtually mint condition Anschutz 335. It really is in beautiful condition, and cannot have had much use. However, having read the 'Blast from the past' feature on the 335 in Airgun World July 2008, I wonder if someone can advise me.
    In the article, Jim Tyler talks about fitting a PTFE piston washer and how it improved his rifle.
    Does anyone know where to obtain such items?
    I do not know yet if we will need a new mainspring... chrono will give us a good clue, but if the rifle is still on the original spring I am guessing it has become a little tired from storage under tension. Chambers do one, but are there other suppliers? Does anyone know what other rifles shared the same spring?

All help appreciated.

Cheers, Phil

Hiya Phil,
    There may be some peeps on here that could machine you a ptfe washer for your '335. However, in the event you dont find one, T R Robb in Essex does them for this rifle. I've done 2 '335s so far- both in .177 and both have edged the legal limit and settled to become quite consistent and pleasant to shoot. I have a .22 example here to do over the winter in the same way.

As for springs- am not too sure. I guess that your best bet is to google the words "air rifle springs" and its sure to bring up a list of suppliers or outlets and I am sure on there you will find a list of springs to suit certain models. I know the Ox spring list will certainly give you a guide- but I wouldnt personally recommend them. I have great faith in Titan springs myself. Why not send Dave aka Bonnie and Clyde a pm on here to see what he can suggest? I know the spring guide on these has cut outs on its base to sit on the cast ally trigger block- so if you want one of Dave's kits- you may have to send your guide for him to cut it to suit the block?

Congrats on picking up one of the most accurate break barrel springers out there.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Why not send Dave aka Bonnie and Clyde a pm on here to see what he can suggest? I know the spring guide on these has cut outs on its base to sit on the cast ally trigger block- so if you want one of Dave's kits- you may have to send your guide for him to cut it to suit the block?
    Good answer, Dave.

With the spring guide, I turned one from 20mm engineering plastic, leaving the base at 20mm diameter. It sits between the notches of the trigger block a treat.

Thanks both for the instant advice.
    I always find the forum an excellent source of shared information .. long may it last as it depends on 'like minded souls' making a contribution.
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil

I think T R Robb used to sell a PTFE piston head for the Anschutz.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Good answer, Dave.

With the spring guide, I turned one from 20mm engineering plastic, leaving the base at 20mm diameter. It sits between the notches of the trigger block a treat.
    Nice one Jim,
    This is another area the '335 could be improved upon? My first '335 was a Venom/Bowkett hybrid which now has the TR Robb contribution as well. The second was Anthony's (99Clomp) and this too has the ptfe head. He had renewed the spring on it, but the leather head was soooo tight. I changed to ptfe and it went from about 6.5-11.6 ft llbs.
    I now have a .22 version as well. I bet the '335 shoots sweet with a snug fitting plastic guide?

I've been using a tuned and silenced Original 50T01 tonight with a Titan/Delrin guide/top hat set up and its the quietest springer I have ever heard/used.

Good luck with the rifle Phil. Chrono it before you kick things off though- just to see where things go? I seem to recall the bluing on the '335 coats the compression tube as well (or was that the Original '45). I polished it off with Solvol just to get it smoooth

Dave

Anschutz 335

Very nice gun, I had the target version in .177 with diopter sight. I fitted a ptfe seal obtained from TR Robb. My gun had originally been a project of another BBS member and piston had been "buttoned". If the gun has never been fired I would think the spring is fine but a relube would be required and if fitted with a leather washer this will probably need an oil soak if dried out.
    Watch out for the anti beartrap device when dismantling. I assume that the .22 version has the stronger "field" spring. My target version shot at 7ft/lbs or so with virtually no recoil and was very accurate with a Williams peepsight.

Mike95

Anschutz335

Hi Phil,
    Ive fitted ptfe washers to several of my older BSAs with good results,an increase in power and more consistant fps.
    I turn the washers from ptfe bar bought from RS components or the local engineering supplies.
    The secret is to machine the od of the washer a couple of thou undersize and let the firing action of the gun expand the washer to an optimum fit. There has to be ptfe infront of the washer retaining device to allow the piston to deform the washer on impact.
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

I might have some items that you need. I have sent you a PM.

ive a 330 anshuts and i fitted a dianna 52 piston seal useing a few wasers to stop the cocking lever being struck by the piston on its return.put the washers under the piston seal about 4 i think it was.i also used a spring from a mk1 air arms tx 200 as to be a mk1 cos the anshuts has a wide spring guide but a small diameter int piston.hope this helps thanks coddy. the 330 has the same size cylinder as the 335. just a crap stock and shorter barrel and no lock lever but it shoots sweet.