Thread: House Insurance and BP...

House Insurance and BP...

Anyone had any problems with their house insurers re storage of black powder or black powder pistols? I'm assuming that NOT telling them about a couple of kilos of explosives in the house might cause a problem if the house burnt down?

regards
    Nigel

thought it was only an explosive under pressure....would just fizzzle and burn nicely if caught fire, plenty of things in the house more dangerous that you dont have to declare, propane heaters etc

take your point about propane heaters - potentially a huge bomb! However I don't require a special explosives certificate from the goverment to posses a bottled-gas fire yet

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but given the reputation of insurance companies for wriggling...

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    It is worth remembering Black powder does not burn it explodes, If uncontained nitro powder produces a relatively predictable flame, Black powder explodes real fast & you will lose your eyebrows or worse, the more there is the more powerful it gets.

Well you wouldn’t inform your insurance company when you’ve bought and stored boxes and boxes of fireworks in your house - Black Powder is no different so long as it is stored a proper wooden box which meets Home Office regs.

The most important thing is that you have the correct regulation stickers on your storage box to inform the Fire Service what’s in there should they be called to your premises to put out a fire.
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

just a small tip, but maybe an idea to have a sheet laminated up with a location and chemical description etc of whats in the house, also explaining any centrefire ammunition etc, then keeping this safe, maybe then if the need arises and its "possible" this could aid a firecrew or police in keeping the house safe after a fire or incident.

I did one with list of what bottles are in the garage, welding gases and heater gases etc
    Don't worry it only seems kinky the first time

B.P. STORAGE IN THE HOME

THE STORAGE OF BP IN THE HOME REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE A CERTIFICATE FROM THE POLICE FIRE ARMS DEPT WHO COVER YOUR ADDRESS. A SECOND CERTIFICATE IS THEN REQUIRED FROM THE HEALTH AND SAFETY EXCECUTIVE
    WHO REQUIRE ALL THE INFORMATION FROM YOUR FIRE ARMS CERTIFICATE AUTHOURISING YOU TO OWN AND FIRE A BP GUN. WITH SPECIFIC E.U. NUMBERS RELATING TO THE TYPE OF POWDER TO BE USED / AQUIRED. AND THIS IS ISSUED SO THAT YOU MAY STORE AND TRANSPORT B.P. ( FROM THE SUPPLIER TO YOUR HOME OR PLACE OF STORAGE, OR TO THE RANGE FOR USE. THE H.E. WILL THE NOTIFY THE LOCAL FIRE STATION THAT B.P. IS OR MAY BE ON SITE AT THIS ADDRESS IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE THERE. THE RESPONSIBILITY IS ON THE HOLDER TO STORE THEIR B.P. SECURELY AND SAFELY AS SET OUT IN THE SAFE CODE OF PRACTICE THAT YOU AGREED TO ON APPLYING FOR A B.P. CERTIFICATE. IF STORED CORRECTLY B.P. IS NO MORE, IF NOT LESS OF A DANGER THAN THE STORAGE OF PETROL. "NOTE IT SEEMS STRANGE TO ME THAT ONLY A FEW YEARS AGO THE REQUIREMENT FOR STORAGE WAS TO KEEP THE POWDER IN THE FLIMSIEST IF BOXES WITH THE SECURITY ENOUGH TO DETER INQUISITIVE MINDS. NOW THE SPEC IS TO CONTAIN IT IN A COMPACT 19MM THICK MARINE MULTIPLY PANELLED BOX SECURED WITH PADLOCKS AND CHAINS TO THE STRUCTURE OF THE BUILDING. "GUY FAWKES WOULD HAVE BEEN PROUD OF THIS SET UP"

THE H.E. WILL THE NOTIFY THE LOCAL FIRE STATION THAT B.P. IS OR MAY BE ON SITE AT THIS ADDRESS IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE THERE
    Really? Well they don't in this neck of the woods
    'I'm a rider at the gates of dawn and I take no prisoners' - Rik Mayall 1984
    Ex-Moonraker relocated to Sir Gar!

Angry notification

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin.45 View Post
    Really? Well they don't in this neck of the woods
    Nor in mine and I don't want my local police knowing I have explosives (BP)
    'cause info like that can leak to "others" That info MUST be restricted !!!
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by evanjwm View Post
    Nor in mine and I don't want my local police knowing I have explosives (BP)
    'cause info like that can leak to "others" That info MUST be restricted !!!
    Evan
    Dont the Police already know? It was my FEO who came round and inspected my powder box and security. He also asked if it was ok for him to inform the local firebrigade.

At our last place -near Heathrow Airport - we came home one day to be told by the neighbours that we had had a Tender full of Firemen sitting outside the house & that they had been banging on the door 'trying' to gain entry.

I went the local station in Hayes to be told that they wanted to inspect where my Black Powder was kept & when the guy came out to speak to me - he wa swaving a list of all the Black Powder holders in the area

Roy