Thread: Ruger Old Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up old army

Quote Originally Posted by fcat View Post
    Hi Tezz,

try here http://www.black-powder.co.uk/bp.htm

list of bp stuff in stock at the bottom; home page gives contact details.
    No, I'm not on commission, but if anyone wants to bribe me....

regards
    Nigel
    cheers Nigel, just got my variation for 2 .44 BP revolvers Tezz

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    cheers Nigel, just got my variation for 2 .44 BP revolvers Tezz
    Best get another variation.

Ruger old army is .45, not .44

Red face ruger old army

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post

oops pass on that one then

Exclamation PS

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post

theres one on Guntrader .44 cal for £195

When I bought my ROA, I had a slot for a .44, but had to get a variation to a .45.

That sounds cheap at 195, possibly a very old one, as they have been made since 1972.

The Ruger Old Army is a 44 cal. Mine actually says so under the barrel, behind the rammer, so mine is on my certificate as a .44.

The chambers are .454 but the barrel itself is .44 . Just checked that with my micrometer as I can't always rely on my memory

Steve.

Not sure the reasoning behind it - but we had 2 club members - on the face of it identical ROA revolvers - one stamped .44" & one stamped .45"

When I applied for a slot to get a ROA I asked for a 44/45 and then the same again when I brought a 1860 Army. I believe this is standard parctise in Withshire.
    Last edited by moonraker; 19-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.
    Real calibres start with a .4

Good to hear that other authorities have a common sense view to licencing. You can only buy one gun per slot so whats it matter what size its called as long as the correct imformation is logged with the licencing dept.

In another post someone has mentioned the old army as being prone to jams.
    Any one had problems? Mine used to clog up due to bits of spent primer getting down between the hammer and the frame which could be a bugger to get out without stripping it down. Im sure different make/size primers would have sorted the problem but never got round to trying before swopping to a Rogers and Spencer. Am thinking of another old army with the 51/2" barrel so if anyones having jamming trouble id rather know about it now than after buying one.

ALL .44 calibre black powder revolvers are at least .451" in caliber, and therefore are 'really' .45"...

My ROA was bought new in 1986, and also is marked .44" Cal. So it's on my ticket as a .44.

Like most ROA's, it actually shoots a .457 ball/conical.

tac

When they first hit the market in 1972, they were designated as a .44cal, using a bore of .443" and a groove of .451". Accuracy was not really what was hoped for using .454 ball, the standard for .44 cal B/P revolvers.

Research then suggested that the best accuracy was obtained using balls of .457" and so, this was ammended in the manuals. However, problems still persisted because of confusion with the .44 designation. This was dropped, stating the calibre was .45, forcing the "old sweats" to ignore general convention and seek projectiles of the recommended size.

A .44 marked specimen will indicate one of very early manufacture. The Ruger Old Army is a .45 calibre, so that's the variation you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    When they first hit the market in 1972, they were designated as a .44cal, using a bore of .443" and a groove of .451". Accuracy was not really what was hoped for using .454 ball, the standard for .44 cal B/P revolvers.

Research then suggested that the best accuracy was obtained using balls of .457" and so, this was ammended in the manuals. However, problems still persisted because of confusion with the .44 designation. This was dropped, stating the calibre was .45, forcing the "old sweats" to ignore general convention and seek projectiles of the recommended size.

A .44 marked specimen will indicate one of very early manufacture. The Ruger Old Army is a .45 calibre, so that's the variation you'll need.
    Cheers Simon - you cleared up one of them 'unanswered questions' for me !

Roy