Thread: Ruger Old Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So it looks like the calibre is either .44 or .45 depending upon whether you measure across the lands or the grooves.

Conventionally, I believe that its measured across the lands unless you use the American system where its measured across the grooves!

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    So it looks like the calibre is either .44 or .45 depending upon whether you measure across the lands or the grooves.
    I reckon it's more to do with semantics! It's only in the UK that they are anal about "calibres!!

No doubt more to do with ball size required as ostensibly, they are .44 cal in the traditional sense.

Try having a Ruger, R&S and Uberti.. .457", .451" and .454" balls required respectively!..... so really, all .45 cal!

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

So

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I reckon it's more to do with semantics! It's only in the UK that they are anal about "calibres!!

No doubt more to do with ball size required as ostensibly, they are .44 cal in the traditional sense.

Try having a Ruger, R&S and Uberti.. .457", .451" and .454" balls required respectively!..... so really, all .45 cal!
    Where does that leave the Pietta? I've never been able to find any reliable loading info for mine and it shoots so high with a .454 ball and 22gn fffg that I have to be careful about overflying aircraft.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Ruger old army

I sold my Ruger some time ago but really fancy another one. Due to the problem with Rugers being sold as .44 and .45 i applied for a .44/.45 black powder muzzle loading pistol and included a letter explaining the reasons behind my request. After a few weeks i got a call from our FAO and he came round that evening. I explained that all Ruger old armys are the same bore size and its only the way they are classed when being sold that causes the confusion. The same as many other black powder pistols, ie my Rogers and Spencer and my mates Remington both use a .451" ball but are sold as .44.
    After all i can only buy one .457" pistol so what does it matter what its being sold as its still a .457". He agreed that it made sense to have .44/.45 on my ticket and off he went. This week my ticket has returned and hey presto, permission to purchase .44/.45.
    Yet again Lincolnshire licencing authority show themselves to have a common sense approach when faced with a licencing problem and should be seen as a bench mark for other authorities.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    I sold my Ruger some time ago but really fancy another one. Due to the problem with Rugers being sold as .44 and .45 i applied for a .44/.45 black powder muzzle loading pistol and included a letter explaining the reasons behind my request. After a few weeks i got a call from our FAO and he came round that evening. I explained that all Ruger old armys are the same bore size and its only the way they are classed when being sold that causes the confusion. The same as many other black powder pistols, ie my Rogers and Spencer and my mates Remington both use a .451" ball but are sold as .44.
    After all i can only buy one .457" pistol so what does it matter what its being sold as its still a .457". He agreed that it made sense to have .44/.45 on my ticket and off he went. This week my ticket has returned and hey presto, permission to purchase .44/.45.
    Yet again Lincolnshire licencing authority show themselves to have a common sense approach when faced with a licencing problem and should be seen as a bench mark for other authorities.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone