Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army

Not sure the reasoning behind it - but we had 2 club members - on the face of it identical ROA revolvers - one stamped .44" & one stamped .45"

When they first hit the market in 1972, they were designated as a .44cal, using a bore of .443" and a groove of .451". Accuracy was not really what was hoped for using .454 ball, the standard for .44 cal B/P revolvers.

Research then suggested that the best accuracy was obtained using balls of .457" and so, this was ammended in the manuals. However, problems still persisted because of confusion with the .44 designation. This was dropped, stating the calibre was .45, forcing the "old sweats" to ignore general convention and seek projectiles of the recommended size.

A .44 marked specimen will indicate one of very early manufacture. The Ruger Old Army is a .45 calibre, so that's the variation you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    When they first hit the market in 1972, they were designated as a .44cal, using a bore of .443" and a groove of .451". Accuracy was not really what was hoped for using .454 ball, the standard for .44 cal B/P revolvers.

Research then suggested that the best accuracy was obtained using balls of .457" and so, this was ammended in the manuals. However, problems still persisted because of confusion with the .44 designation. This was dropped, stating the calibre was .45, forcing the "old sweats" to ignore general convention and seek projectiles of the recommended size.

A .44 marked specimen will indicate one of very early manufacture. The Ruger Old Army is a .45 calibre, so that's the variation you'll need.
    Cheers Simon - you cleared up one of them 'unanswered questions' for me !

Roy

Yes Simon thanks for clearing that up.

Mine has .45" stamped on it, and as previously said I had to get the variation, as the RFD would not let me take possesion until I had the variation from .44 to .45.

So the one being sold on Guntrader may be a .44, and as such will be very old.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post
    So the one being sold on Guntrader may be a .44, and as such will be very old.
    Yep, probably 1972/73 manufacture.

"and as such will be very old".....???!!!

You cheeky b*####**d, I was born in 1968 four years before this very old gun!!

Sorry Simon didnt mean to insult.

Anyway what am I saying, I was born in 1963.

So it looks like the calibre is either .44 or .45 depending upon whether you measure across the lands or the grooves.

Conventionally, I believe that its measured across the lands unless you use the American system where its measured across the grooves!

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    So it looks like the calibre is either .44 or .45 depending upon whether you measure across the lands or the grooves.
    I reckon it's more to do with semantics! It's only in the UK that they are anal about "calibres!!

No doubt more to do with ball size required as ostensibly, they are .44 cal in the traditional sense.

Try having a Ruger, R&S and Uberti.. .457", .451" and .454" balls required respectively!..... so really, all .45 cal!

Ruger old army

I sold my Ruger some time ago but really fancy another one. Due to the problem with Rugers being sold as .44 and .45 i applied for a .44/.45 black powder muzzle loading pistol and included a letter explaining the reasons behind my request. After a few weeks i got a call from our FAO and he came round that evening. I explained that all Ruger old armys are the same bore size and its only the way they are classed when being sold that causes the confusion. The same as many other black powder pistols, ie my Rogers and Spencer and my mates Remington both use a .451" ball but are sold as .44.
    After all i can only buy one .457" pistol so what does it matter what its being sold as its still a .457". He agreed that it made sense to have .44/.45 on my ticket and off he went. This week my ticket has returned and hey presto, permission to purchase .44/.45.
    Yet again Lincolnshire licencing authority show themselves to have a common sense approach when faced with a licencing problem and should be seen as a bench mark for other authorities.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    I sold my Ruger some time ago but really fancy another one. Due to the problem with Rugers being sold as .44 and .45 i applied for a .44/.45 black powder muzzle loading pistol and included a letter explaining the reasons behind my request. After a few weeks i got a call from our FAO and he came round that evening. I explained that all Ruger old armys are the same bore size and its only the way they are classed when being sold that causes the confusion. The same as many other black powder pistols, ie my Rogers and Spencer and my mates Remington both use a .451" ball but are sold as .44.
    After all i can only buy one .457" pistol so what does it matter what its being sold as its still a .457". He agreed that it made sense to have .44/.45 on my ticket and off he went. This week my ticket has returned and hey presto, permission to purchase .44/.45.
    Yet again Lincolnshire licencing authority show themselves to have a common sense approach when faced with a licencing problem and should be seen as a bench mark for other authorities.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

So

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I reckon it's more to do with semantics! It's only in the UK that they are anal about "calibres!!

No doubt more to do with ball size required as ostensibly, they are .44 cal in the traditional sense.

Try having a Ruger, R&S and Uberti.. .457", .451" and .454" balls required respectively!..... so really, all .45 cal!
    Where does that leave the Pietta? I've never been able to find any reliable loading info for mine and it shoots so high with a .454 ball and 22gn fffg that I have to be careful about overflying aircraft.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

When I applied for a slot to get a ROA I asked for a 44/45 and then the same again when I brought a 1860 Army. I believe this is standard parctise in Withshire.
    Last edited by moonraker; 19-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.
    Real calibres start with a .4

Good to hear that other authorities have a common sense view to licencing. You can only buy one gun per slot so whats it matter what size its called as long as the correct imformation is logged with the licencing dept.

In another post someone has mentioned the old army as being prone to jams.
    Any one had problems? Mine used to clog up due to bits of spent primer getting down between the hammer and the frame which could be a bugger to get out without stripping it down. Im sure different make/size primers would have sorted the problem but never got round to trying before swopping to a Rogers and Spencer. Am thinking of another old army with the 51/2" barrel so if anyones having jamming trouble id rather know about it now than after buying one.

Tim,
    I have the ROA 5 1/2, and I have had a couple of jams although I am using size 10 caps. I understand that 11's will fix this. Its a great gun and Im very pleased with mine.
    Blackrat

Ah Blackrat, just realised who you are.