Thread: Makarov Barrel removal

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Makarov Barrel removal

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove a Makarov barrel please? Some how a BB has become jammed between the magazine and the void just below the barrel. The magazine will not go all the way in or come out, stuck solid. The only way I can see is to remove the barrel to remove the bb. If you look carefully at the photo you can see the shiny bb almost dead centre in the photo.

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=JammedBB.jpg

Thanks to any that can help
    Alan

Hi
    mmm nasty ; steel or Lead? Looks like steel
    I found some info on Mak barrel removal on the web somewhere. I'm sure I would have saved the URL somewhere so I'll have a search ASAP.
    IIRC some were push fit others screw as they were varying it to try and stop the law makers saying it was too easy to upgrade to FB. Most international Mak chat is confused by people mixing CO2 and FB tips
    If the CO2 bottle can come out, you may be able to remove the mag body and that might give you enough wiggle room to shift it (Long odds)
    If it went togather it should come apart - Is it a case of the the famous Mak distorted balls problem; ie is your ball now a cam that could be rotated?
    Temperature may help - not too hot (Co2 bang!) - not too cold (brittle metal casting), Dremmel it out?
    I'll go and start looking and get back if I find anything.
    TTFN
    Nick in Luton

Makarov Jam

Thanks Nick , I will expand on what has happened, I think. The bb is steel, nasty. Inserting a full mag of steel bb it appears that I may have caught the magazine / bb follower on insertion so as the magazine was inserted into the mag well a bb was free to leave the magazine until it reached the void below the barrel. When it reached this void it went part way into it, at the same time a fresh bb moved up the mag, taking the place of the first bb to seal the first bb in place. I cant back the jammed bb out because a fresh bb is in the top of the mag, it cant go forward because the viod isnt deep enough to accept it. If I can remove the barrel then the void becomes open at the top and the bb can then be removed. I cant get anything in to cut or grind away the bb. My other theoretical option is the slde a very thin but quite rigid piece of L shaped steel or similar and insert it between the front of the magazine and the inside of the mag well and try to push down the magaine / bb follower to depress it and in doing so allow the second bb to drop down the mag and allow the first bb to go back where it belongs. Does that make any sense?
    Alan

The magazine wont come out or go fully in. The bb has locked it up almost totally solid. The bb is wedged under the rear of the barrel where you can see the coil spring for the trigger guard, in that little hollow there.
    Last edited by schony; 22-11-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Further info

Quote Originally Posted by schony View Post
    Can anyone tell me the best way to remove a Makarov barrel please? Some how a BB has become jammed between the magazine and the void just below the barrel. The magazine will not go all the way in or come out, stuck solid. The only way I can see is to remove the barrel to remove the bb. If you look carefully at the photo you can see the shiny bb almost dead centre in the photo.

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=JammedBB.jpg

Thanks to any that can help
    Alan
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...hlight=makarov

Mak Jam

Thanks VFRkid,
    That was a doddle. I wouldnt have believed it could have been that easy. Thanks mate problem solved.
    Alan

vfrkid's article was the best writeup I remember
    Trying it out on my own Mak. With the mag in the position as per photo I have access to say 8mm of mag follower spring. If it were mine I would try pulling at least some of the spring out with needle nosed pliers or nibling it out somehow (dremel).
    Spring I should think is the easiest part to replace as no Mak spares on the planet
    Barrel removal would be prone to nightmares IMHO
    Still thinking
    Good Luck
    Its fixed while I was typing ha ha Well done...
    did it just unscrew then?
    Nick in Luton

Hi Nick,
    I have removed my barrel and I must say it was so easy. Wrap a piece of leather or lead strip around the barrel and with a pair of grips or similar unscrew anti clockwise. Took the barrel off and the bb fell out. It saved me a lot of hassle. One word of warning to anyone removing the barrel, the breech is sitting on top of the trigger guard spring so when the barrel is removed there is nothing to stop the breech end of the barrel taking of at 120 mph upwards as mine did. Beware. I am so pleased it is sorted and not only that but I learned something more about my pistol. Always enjoy learning .thanks to all who contributed
    Alan

I had to remove my barrel for exactly the same reason. though I only had to loosen it for the BB to drop out, If removing it for any other reason the mag should be left in as it keeps the barrel nut in place.

This is a useful tutorial if you are delving into the workings especially the part about the trigger spring which is easy to miss assemble

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kVY4BEpVEwg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U2T-OG...eature=related

Makarov Jam

Thanks again vfrkid. They are great little videos arent they. When putting my barrel back I never thought of using the mag to align everything up, that would have made the job loads easier.
    Alan