Thread: Mounting a Red Dot (Position?)

Mounting a Red Dot (Position?)

Probably a slightly dumb question but where exactly should you mount a Red Dot?

Yes I know it goes on top of the pistol with the front towards the pointy end

I mean is there any difference from all the way forward/back or mid rail?? Since (I assume) eye relief isn't an issue is it just aesthetics or is there a rule of thumb as to position.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeG View Post
    Probably a slightly dumb question but where exactly should you mount a Red Dot?

Yes I know it goes on top of the pistol with the front towards the pointy end

I mean is there any difference from all the way forward/back or mid rail?? Since (I assume) eye relief isn't an issue is it just aesthetics or is there a rule of thumb as to position.

Not a dumb question

What pistol are you fitting it on?

On my HW45 I have it forward mounted so that when I close the top after cocking the pistol I don't have to push down on the Red Dot.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0938.jpg

Good luck, Phil

=
    Last edited by Phil G; 24-11-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks for that Phil.

It's occasionally going on my HW40 and after trying different positions I've mounted it all the way forward for the same reasons as you. I just wondered if there was a specific rule but obviously not.

Cheers mate

I think it should be mounted as close to the hand grip as possible so it doesn't affect the balance of the pistol too much. Obviously there are practical considerations with the HW40 & 45 which prevent this......

Jonathan

Good point Jonathan, although the red dot in question is only the cheap Walther one which weighs next to nothing so it's not a great problem in this case.