Thread: UMAREX COATINGS?

UMAREX COATINGS?

How do you remove the above? I have a 1911 that I want to bling but don't want to sand. How do I chemically remove the finish> It's not blued, it's some kind of coating.

Any info would be much appreciated

Once you have found a way to remove the coating the metal will not look good without plating, as it is zinc alloy which when polished will start to dull within days and shows a crystalline structure not a uniform shine.

Quote Originally Posted by vfrkid View Post
    Once you have found a way to remove the coating the metal will not look good without plating, as it is zinc alloy which when polished will start to dull within days and shows a crystalline structure not a uniform shine.
    As above. It will not *bling* up well because the Umarex CO2 pistols are made of monkey metal.

If you are determined to remove the blueing without steel wool and elbow grease, you basically need a cleaning product containg phosphoric acid. A pool cleaner like *Aqua Mix* will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by vfrkid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter59 View Post
    As above. It will not *bling* up well because the Umarex CO2 pistols are made of monkey metal.

If you are determined to remove the blueing without steel wool and elbow grease, you basically need a cleaning product containg phosphoric acid. A pool cleaner like *Aqua Mix* will do the trick.

Oh No? !!!

Cliky

Can't remember who I "stole" this pic off ( think it was Kingplinker or Frenchi)

Off topic, does anyone wonder where the pics they put on here might end up???
    Dave

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the info. I know that the pistol is made of zinc and will polish up well but i wanted to avoid alot of work and polishing off the coating as it would remove some detail. I plan to chrome plate or powder coat and add fancy 1911 pearlite grips.
    Any more info appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kippers View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the info. I know that the pistol is made of zinc and will polish up well but i wanted to avoid alot of work and polishing off the coating as it would remove some detail. I plan to chrome plate or powder coat and add fancy 1911 pearlite grips.
    Any more info appreciated.

Dont be grotty

Chrome is nice, if its well done

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post

Dont be grotty

Chrome is nice, if its well done

Tony
    Hi Tony
    I knew someone would object Actually croming is more my kind of thing but it doesn't have to be chrome

Any other advice on stripping without having to work too hard at it and maintaining the profile etc?

Caustic soda might work?, it certainly burns the colour from aluminium. The person to ask would probably be Kingplinker.

Mt Berretta 92s was nickel plated, and that looked really nice with custom grips.

Nickpan is offline I love a lot of slippery, soapy men's bums!
    Check my chromed beauty!
    no such words as alot or ect, and do you really want to add a second 'o' in 'lose', unless you're talking about something that isn't very tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickpan View Post
    Check my chromed beauty!
    How come you've not sold this yet?