Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how old is my hw 35

how old is my hw 35

I got this rifle from a mate the metal work was covered in black paint so I stripped it down took off the paint to reveal no blueing. On one side of the breech it says HW 35 Made in W Germany Kal. 5.5 on the other WEIHRAUCH in a sausauge shaped border there is no serial number or other markings on the gun. The trigger unit has an allen key screw at the front and the normall slotted one at the back it also has little square patterns on it. The barrel is 19 inches long with grooves for the sight and threaded. Does anyone know any more about it.

Cheers Paul

ps I can email photo's to you if it helps

hw

hi it sounds like you have a early hw 35 because it has w.Germany on the breech block instead of just Germany are you sure there isn't a serial number just under the barrel near the breech block if there is you can e-mail Weihrauch the serial number and they will tell you the year it was manufactured usually you will get a reply in about a week if there isn't a number i'm afraid its just guess work
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

What is the width of the scope rails (11mm or 13mm)?
    Does it have a safety catch and does it go all the way through?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

hw 35

thanks for the replies no serial numbers and the scope rail is 11mm the safety catch is missing left hand hole is bigger than the right if looking as you would shoot it.

Cheers Paul

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I'm no real expert but having had 6 of these rifles it sounds like it's a newer type, with the safety going through the action, the earlier ones never did that. You'll probably find a HW77/97 or 80 safety will fit your 35 if you were looking for a replacement.

also the 11mm dovetail would make me come to the same conclusion.
    The fact it has no serial number could suggest the barrel has been changed over the life of the rifle???

Age wise...... probably a late 80's or 90's rifle?? another thing to help date is the style of the stock? does it have a rounded bottom to the pistol grip area? is it flat bottomed or does it have a black cap fitted?

HTH PAUL

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post
    I'm no real expert but having had 6 of these rifles it sounds like it's a newer type, with the safety going through the action, the earlier ones never did that. You'll probably find a HW77/97 or 80 safety will fit your 35 if you were looking for a replacement.

also the 11mm dovetail would make me come to the same conclusion.
    The fact it has no serial number could suggest the barrel has been changed over the life of the rifle???

Age wise...... probably a late 80's or 90's rifle?? another thing to help date is the style of the stock? does it have a rounded bottom to the pistol grip area? is it flat bottomed or does it have a black cap fitted?

HTH PAUL
    HW80 safety catch will fit no problem but I think the 77/97, 95 & 85 are shorter.

Basically. Stock wise. A rounded underside to the beech stock, means a 'Standard' which were produced for the 35s full life span.
    The walnut, squared of fore end was fitted to the 'Deluxe' model. Again produced until, Id guess late 80's.
    The walnut stock with the pronounced cheek piece and pistol grip cap is the 'Export' version - again produced throughout the 35s production run albeit with a shorter barrel in the modern version.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    HW80 safety catch will fit no problem but I think the 77/97, 95 & 85 are shorter.
    Basically. Stock wise. A rounded underside to the beech stock, means a 'Standard' which were produced for the 35s full life span.
    The walnut, squared of fore end was fitted to the 'Deluxe' model. Again produced until, Id guess late 80's.
    The walnut stock with the pronounced cheek piece and pistol grip cap is the 'Export' version - again produced throughout the 35s production run albeit with a shorter barrel in the modern version.

ATB
    Ian
    Hi, RE safety's: The 80 77 and 97 all share the same diameter cylinder as the 35, you are right about the 85 and 95/98 though which is indeed a smaller diameter cylinder so will have a shorter safety.
    I only know this from stripping a 77 and losing the safetry but found an 80 safety i bought would fit!

( there you go Ian, school lesson over) "as every day is a school day"

Spot on with the stock info though

OP: if you can send me a pic of your rifle to I'll try to give you a better idea of age and i'll put it into a photobucket file and post on here so others can also check for you!
    Last edited by premierpistol; 28-12-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post

( there you go Ian, school lesson over) "as every day is a school day"
    You are, indeed quite correct. The 35/80/97/77 do share the same length safety catch. It was just one of my many (and increasing) 'blonde moments'.

My Mrs said I dont suit stripes so she stopped whipping me

I shall now go into the corner and flagellate myself. Oh err Mrs.

ATB
    Ian

IAN.
    MINE IS NUMBER489300, PALE CAPPED PISTOL GRIP STOCK. SHOOTS AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS, TOPPED WITH A SIMMONS 1.5X5X20 SCOPE.

NO SAFETY CATCH AND BARREL STILL AS IT SHOULD BE,I.E LEVEL WITH CYLINDER. ANY IDEA/S ON AGE.?? JOHN
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    IAN.
    MINE IS NUMBER489300, PALE CAPPED PISTOL GRIP STOCK. SHOOTS AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS, TOPPED WITH A SIMMONS 1.5X5X20 SCOPE.

NO SAFETY CATCH AND BARREL STILL AS IT SHOULD BE,I.E LEVEL WITH CYLINDER. ANY IDEA/S ON AGE.?? JOHN
    Hi John, as you have a serial number you could send an email to weihrauch themselves and ask them to date it for you, they are usually pretty quick to reply and will tell you when it was made or exported!

The original poster has no serial number on his gun to assist ageing which is why a pic would/ could help with the process

yours however is likely to be an early one as it has no safety. you mentioned it has the pistol grip cap so this could be a 35E model??? measure the barrel and if it's 22" long from breech seal to the end of the barrel that would be a sure sign of it being an E model, I have seen and heard of people fitting the grip caps to the standard stocks though??? but there are other differences

If you could mail a pic to me it would certainly help in ascertaining which model and help in aging your rifle.

PAUL

PHOTO/S SENT TO YOUR EMAIL PAUL. JOHN
    snarepeg.

PAUL

Hi, Cheers for the pics, I would say you gun is from the 80's, it's a S model as the pistol grip is the rounded type, as you provided a pic of the gun stripped down i can see it has the synthetic piston seal so this too would make me think the gun is from around the 80's as the earlier ones would have a leather seal ? not 100% on this as it is a point of upgrade for most tuners and i have done a couple of these myself to eek a little more power out of a low powered rifle. I'd bet it feels very long with a silencer attached

Your rifle here And here
    PAUL

No safety catch - pre 1970.
    Nylon piston seal later.
    Export length barrel 22" up to recent.

ATB
    Ian

NO PAUL, NOT MY PHOTO/S??
    MAILMAN HAS SENT THEM BACK? (YOU HAVE DODDGY ADDREESS)
    ATB. JOHN
    snarepeg.

TRYING AGAIN. JOHN
    snarepeg.