Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What IS a "real" air pistol, anyway?

your quite right its unfare to call the nemesis ugly its just differant but a pistol
    thats top of its game

I really can't understand why anyone would think the HW45 looks good. I own one, sure, they are well-made, accurate and powerful, but good looking?

The top of the thing looks way out of proportion with the grip and it displays the typical lack of grace and line that most German products do.
    I may be wrong but I thought it was designed in the US by Dr Beeman? I agree it looks horrible though, like a 99p plastic waterpistol bought from the corner shop.

For my money a real air pistol is anything that is not trying to look like a powder burner. (I do have an umarex S+W as a guilty secret though)

Like ranger 02 I am also a sucker for odd or good designs, the Hyscore is a favourite of mine, the crosman 600 is a classic, there is the BSA 240 and of course there are Webleys. (Neither odd nor especially good if we are honest, but somehow just right)

God help me I think the Crosman 2240 is also a classic design in its way. Not a good air pistol, (although it can be made fairly good), and not worth the UK price, but it does what it says on the tin, and isn't that what design is about?

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    In a rare visit to this forum I'd just like to say that a real air pistol to me is a Webley Senior/Premier etc.
    Mark

This is what

I reckon........

REAL air pistols are exactly what it says.
    Pellets/BB's are pushed by air, not any other medium.

My Baikal 53M is, so is my Gamo Falcon, so is my Gamo Compact. (I might as well throw the G10, but it also qualifies)

None of my Co2 pistols are REAL air pistols, they are weaker "toys" as Andy used to say.....

But I reckon my EB22 could be an honourary one as it's nearly at full power and has got a nice kick

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Smile webley senior

yes the senior is one of the best in fact i did a deal to buy a senior on
    monday to add to my collection and look forward to getting it but i am not
    sure about the new typoon any one got one any views on this pistol i do not
    think its a true webley or build it the same standard again i may be wrong
    as i have not got one yet they seem to cheap to me

Another vote here for the underrated Nemesis....I'm as accurate with my .22 as I am with my .177 HW40...mind you, that's not saying much...
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I may be wrong but I thought it was designed in the US by Dr Beeman? I agree it looks horrible though, like a 99p plastic waterpistol bought from the corner shop.
    I thought Dr. Beeman specified it, but then collaborated with HW on the actual design, but I'm not certain. I like unusual designs too, there's something about things where free-thinkers have studied a problem and seen solutions that everyone else has missed. That's why I love things like my ABAS Major, Hy-Scores, Record Jumbo, and my old SAAB 900, unusual designs that work well but don't follow the crowd.

The Abas Major, that is a REAL air pistol. An unusual design, hand-built by craftsmen, compact, graceful with clean lines, easy and safe to use, and best of all it works well. I have one and it shoots better than the Webley Mk1 which was its contemporary. I would genuinely love to see that format updated. Imagine that, a modern pistol with a concealed underlever, a modern synthetic piston head, buttons and spring guides, it would be brilliant!

The Abas Major, that is a REAL air pistol. An unusual design, hand-built by craftsmen, compact, graceful with clean lines, easy and safe to use, and best of all it works well. I have one and it shoots better than the Webley Mk1 which was its contemporary
    One day....

I did get my hands on a Warrior recently though, that's another great old air pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    The Abas Major, that is a REAL air pistol. !
    Had a look at the Brown's website, that looks a beautiful design.
    Could you put up some various views of this being cocked etc Rob? Love to see them. Do you see any up for sale at all?

(have you seen those georgeous stocks they use for the shotguns they refurb.....WOW.. wouldn't mind some of that wood)

atb
    Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by uk litehammer View Post
    Reckon so.

I always wonder, though, about "pistols" that look like a rifle with the stock missing!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Could you put up some various views of this being cocked etc Rob? Love to see them. Do you see any up for sale at all?

(have you seen those georgeous stocks they use for the shotguns they refurb.....WOW.. wouldn't mind some of that wood)

atb
    Russ
    No pictures of it cocking, but still...

try here...

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post

atb
    Russ
    I shouldn't think you're likely to see any up for sale, as his guns are all hand built over some considerable time, and people order, and then wait, sometimes for a very long time. Not very likely to sell one after that. They are one of life's collectable classics.

Actually a collector did advertise an ABAS Major on here a few months ago, these are desirable and very collectible though, I think it sold fairly quick.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...highlight=abas

Use the search facility, there are a few interesting threads on the ABAS Major in this forum.

I still have a dozen air pistols. My pride and joy is a Webley MkI from 1929. It has never been apart, but it still shoots beautifully, although the trigger sear is worn now. I like the Indian although it gave some problems when I rebuilt it from a basket case to try to get it below the legal limit. I like it because it is quirky to cock and load. The favourite is hard to say. The Daisy 717 is probably the best starter target pistol available. The Gamo is probably the next step up, but if you couldn't hit it with the Daisy, etc.

For sheer fun with accuracy, I go for the S&W revolver CO2 clones. It doesn't matter to me that they are lowly powered.