Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BSA Lightning XL Tactical

BSA Lightning XL Tactical

Got myself a Tactical yesterday, a 5.5 12Ftp.
    Some specs:
    OAL: 37' iirc, 99cm
    barrel: 10"
    weight 2.75k
    That shorter and way lighter than my Evo, it's pcp weight actually!
    The barrel is from BSA, cold hammered, has 12 grooves and a 1:19' rifling. Usually BSAbarrels are pretty good.
    The action is blued, the quality is ok but less than my Theobens/Webleys. The manufacturingstripes can still be seen, the polishing is less. It makes mé think about the Gamo's I've seen. But that's good enough for the main purpose of this rifle: a hunting tool.It has a full-length silencer/shroud, prefitted for sling-swivels.It has the Maxigrip dovetail fitted ónto the action. Yes, ón, not ín. It seems to be a strange size, 13.9mm, but many normal mounts will fit if you can turn them around. The Maxigrip has some shockabsorbing qualities; kinda like a Dampa rail.The rear screw simultaneously acts as a scopestop. It lóóks like it's not possible to fit large scopes due to the compact action.It has a manual safety.

The stock is synthetic and looks GREAT.Also great for hunting. It has additional grippanels on pistolgrip and forend. It also has a thumb-up position.

It's very easy to unlock tha barrel. But it shóuld be ok, BSA uses a patented barrel latch to ensure perfect barrel alignment. Cocking is easy.The cockinglink has NO play and looks very sturdy.

The trigger is a 2stage unit, adjustable for weight.It was pretty heavy at first. After lubing and a half turn adjustment it's far better now.Good enough for some testwork.I think the trigger is about Theoben Evo quality.
    The first stage díd feel kinda rough;probably a rough 1st stage spring.
    Bút, very important, NO creep!
    When shooting there's NO twang either, just a twak.Looks like the BSA is internally of high quality, with tight fitting guides.
    It's also more quiet than my Evo so it seems.
    There áre tuningkits and rams available for it. But I don't think it's a DIYjob; the Maxigrip rail has to come off iirc, and it's pressed on it seems. Not easy to remove or replace. Removing probably also requires new rubbers underneath it.
    It's available in .177, .22 ánd .25. In FAC as well, giving 15/16/18Ftp.
    There áre differnces with the normal Lightning and Lightning XL:
    Lightning: beech stock, looks very boring, no chequering, no full-length silencer/shroud, less trigger.
    Lightning XL: has the better trigger, better looking beech stoch with chequering.
    It's very light and compact, it shoulders fast. That combined wih the all-weather stock makes it a perfect hunting or HFT tool imo!

+ LOOKS!
    + no creep in trigger
    + no cockinglinkplay
    +no springtwang

- blueing
    ATB,
    yana

Personally I found the stock on the tactical to be a little rough, kinda like having a piece of sandpaper pressed against my cheek and it felt really unpleasant to handle when wet, that was why I chose the beech stocked version (although I have sold it now) I agree they are a very nice little rifle for the money, nice review sir

ATVB

Ben
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

The scope rail is held on by two or three keyhole slots on the cylinder. Lugs on the rail fit into the slots. A tap on the rail backwards towards the butt with a rubber-faced mallett should release it and will allow the piston to be removed.

Barnsley, South Yorkshire (ooop North) :)
    very good review. I used to love my lightning but never shot the XL. I'm a PCP convert now lol although I would have a springer again.
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    When you see an ant superglue a piece of cotton to it, then let it walk you back to the nest.
    Adrian

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by <Hamish-Mac> View Post
    its going to be advertised in the next sporting shooter, if anyones interested?
    pm me!
    for u

Did some fast shots into the pellettrap yesterday, to look/feel the BSA's shooting behaviour.
    Well it's a JOY to shoot! As I said before, NO twang, and during the shot I ónly saw a light vibration in my scope, THAT'S IT! VERY nice job BSA!
    So it's véry easy to hold aim as well after the shot. So, imo, it certainly doesn't nééd a tune of gasram!
    Hope to do some testing soon.
    ATB,
    yana

I have just tried one that is fitted with a Theoben gas strut, pure pleasure to shoot. Very accurate over 30 yards. The handling of the rifle is excellent, as is the balance. I enjoyed using it that much I have ordered the spring version

Excellent review, as for scopes have fitted my BSA XL 0.22in with a Richter
    3x9x50 Scope, BSA Scopemaster fitments and with a sneaky mod on the popup covers that allows a little more forwards movement on the scope ( not a lot but enough) the Richter also gives me 10x level illuminated reticles/paralax adjustment at fore end, not bad for fifty notes per scope.

Thanks.
    Been to the gunshop today to have the barrel checked. He said it's normal the way it is. The Lightning he had in stock in .22 was exactly the same. Guess those .177's are tighter than!
    But good to hear no new barrel is necassary!
    ATB,
    yana

Nice review.

Better than some who's first language is English!

sCuZz Guest
    I am considering purchasing the Tactical XL, soon and I wanted to know if you have any pellet recommendations and anything else you wanna throw in about the rifle. Thanks for your time.

Mine shoots well with JSB's for now(ragged holes at 25m). But I haven't tried other pellets yet.Take care with scopechoice; the length of the scope that fits the compact Lightning is limited.
    ATB,
    yana

jsut got myself a 22. BSA xl tactical off of here and what can i say? amazing job very well balanced, really accurate, good silencer and great looks everything i was looking for in a springer. mine is fitted with a 3-9x40 ags milldot scope and sling making it a great hunter really happy although i do find some types of pellets tight in the barrel? shoots great with accupells and powerpells . Dont really know if you can make this gun any better?

Thanks steven
    great deals with the following:
    Wild_dog man, Andrew richards , Traguar, gray24b
    Zobra,Carl,Hotshotharv,Troubledshooter ,Loiner1965Sparko,Ultra Hunter, Malcxxxx

Got gas rams in both of mine, after I tuned them, they cock smooth and the firing cycle is lovely, great guns for the money, mine love Hollow Points of any make.

Scope choice is not huge but most of the older scopes seem to fit as there not as long as the new models. And better on the pocket

The screw up arrestor block type thing is a god send silencer I think is ok but not great (but it is a springer I suppose)

A great little gun, and with H points deadly too

I was suprised by how smooth and effortless the cocking stroke is on my .177version. When I first cocked it I thought "( ) oh here we go" assuming that because it felt so easy that the gun would only show around 9-10 fpe on the chrono but it shows a healthy 11.1 - 11.3 ft lbs with Daystate Selects. Having said that, I 've only put about 100 through it since new and so it hasnt yet bedded in but I really think I've found the springer for me.
    The only criticism I have of the rifle is how heavy the trigger pull weight on mine is (?). I've tried adjusting it as per the manual but all that seemed to do was wind the screw out too far to be safe and it made not a blind bit of difference to the force required to slip the shot. Perhaps thats just me though.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.