Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kassnar heads up

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiwolves View Post
    delivered 31/12/1990, and the shop was closed for the new year, so was sold in 1991,
    atb
    paul
    Nice try mate

I have a Tasco 1.75-5X40 scope and have (until now) never come across this size before. Is this set up designed for 10metre target or close range shooting? It does seem an odd combination.

I have one of those Tasco's too. It is only a recent phenomenon for high magnification. 1.75x or less was a preferred game magnification as it is quick and nearly as fast as open sights (thats when nearly everyone new how to shoot with open sights; even at long range). In those older days the range was kept short.

In WWI trenches sharpshooters were shooting at 80m with a 3x scope; 200m was a very rare long shot. WWII 4x scopes were plenty; the American Marines with a few 10x was the exception. In fact 10x was good until recently. For stalking deer a 6x for body shots is ample though high magnification is creeping in due to the fact rifles are being used for head shots and foxes (the heavy rifles bipodded set ups are more than up to it).

But your average air rifle quarry is still that sitter at the top of a tree, in a barn or sitting by its burrow. Air rifle group size is better and we take more humane shot at the head rather than just hitting the thing. All of which can be done within 35m and a 5x scope with a reasonable cross-hair is more than able to give the sight picture; and without too much wobble.

Cheers for that-I may just plop it on a rifle and have a tinker with it as it has paralax adjustment on it...