Thread: Collectable: Webley Viscount .22 cal

Question Collectable: Webley Viscount .22 cal

Hello,
    Couple of questions re Webley Viscount bought from this site recently:
    1] What power in (ftlbs) can I expect from this rifle? The cylinder is fairly small in O/D. Will a Titan spring and new seals upgrade the power to something nearer (but under) to 12 ftlbs?
    2] From what wood is the stock made? I assume it is a standard stock.......but it does not look like beech.
    Please advise.
    Many thanks
    Last edited by cambrai1917; 06-12-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: correction

I've got a magazine review from 1984 of a .177" Viscount Custom. That particular example was putting out between 10.37 and 11.5 foot pounds depending on the type of pellet.

webly viscount

Morning to you, I have a standard viscount in.22 mine is doing 10.5 ft pounds with air arms feild, it has a standard spring. I remember seeing an article in airgun world on upgrading to a Theoben Gas Ram, Pill Bulmar did state it made them more consistant and powerful but a little snappy on firing, mine has a nice Italian Beech stock. Ejoy a very nice old Webley rifle.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi M8. The Viscount is basically the long barrel version of the Tracker. Standard will run around the 10.5ft.lb (is nice to shoot at this level) although gas rams are available (personally I wouldn't use one if you gave it me ). These are fine rifles and were available in standard livery with a beech stock, and as a Deluxe version with a walnut stock, so yours maybe walnut . Hope this helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thumbs up Collectable: Webley Viscount .22 cal

oldhw 77, fat man & Gareth W-B,
    Gentlemen,
    As ever superbly knowledgable!
    Many thanks for your assistance. I will chrono the beauty at my next opportunity........and I will be satisfied with 10-11 ftlb (I would guess at moment she's running @ 8-9 fpe).

Thank you all!

viscount

Happy to help. Atb

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post

Happy to help. Atb
    ... Ditto .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thumbs up V Mach seal

Again thanks for the advice...where best to obtain V Mach seal for a Viscount?

Thumbs up V Mach seal

Thanks for that! Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi M8. The Viscount is basically the long barrel version of the Tracker. Standard will run around the 10.5ft.lb (is nice to shoot at this level) although gas rams are available (personally I wouldn't use one if you gave it me ). These are fine rifles and were available in standard livery with a beech stock, and as a Deluxe version with a walnut stock, so yours maybe walnut . Hope this helps. Atb: G.
    If I recall correctly, the Deluxe version had checkering on the fore end which the standard one didn't, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Lovely looking rifle either way.

Smile Collectable: Webley Viscount .22 cal

Thanks again for that extra bit of info. Mine has some grain at the butt.........however I am convinced it's not a Delux version. Neither does it have chequering on the fore end...so there you go!