Thread: Any Knowledge of Japanese Air Rifles?

Any Knowledge of Japanese Air Rifles?

I have been placed on an overseas assignment here in Japan for a few months. I'm thinking of using my weekends to seek out any interesting Japanese air rifles, but I don't know of any. I do recall something in Hiller (still in my home bookcase, of course) about a Howa, but I don't know the style, age, models or quality of them. Can anyone help? My collecting preference is for all-steel spring rifles, preferably with fixed barrel and good quality hardwood stocks. But I can always be tempted with other variations. I was sure that Garvin could help, but he could only recall Sharp (one more than me anyway). Thanks in anticipation. Incidentally, back in 1989 my driver took me to a village a few miles outside the city of Bandung in Java to visit a couple of gun stalls by the side of the road, They were full of new,locally made duplicates of western air rifles, BSA Airsporter Mk1's Crosmans, Webleys - hundreds of them!
    Marc

I think Bsa sold them a batch of underlevers in the 30's in kit or partially assembled form. Finding one of those would a real bit of treasure.
    There are also japanese produced SKB'S and Asahi brands which are clearly influenced by the pre war Bsa's underlevers and Haenel break barrels and Webley MK3.These may have been made up until quite recently, though the design seems much older.
    Very rarely are these for sale in the UK and would be an interesting piece to own.

The earlier pneumatics are perhaps the most interesting Jap guns - The Sharps Victorys and Pan Tagets etc.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Hi Marc. I did look in Hiller but there was no Howa brand listed. Now looking at my Beeman blue book, Howa is mentioned but it refers only to a small number of high grade CO2 rifles and firearms. There is also reference to an unknown Japanese Military Trainer from Osaka in the BB. It looks a bit like a Haenel 33and seems to have a similar bolt cocking mainspring. As Silva says, the Asahi brand look interesting. The BB shows a pic of a half-stocked prewar Diana 27 copy.

Japanese Air guns.

Hi Marc,
    Look for "Heirinkan" multi pump or single stroke pneumatics, beware some are f.a.c. rated, "Howa" made front pump air shotguns also f.a.c. rated.
    Cheers,
    Lawrie.