Thread: 777

Iv noticed on here that several people use 777 black powder substitute. Now i will be the first to accept that i have cackled on about using the black stuff as opposed to substitutes but i have to admit that its getting dearer and more dificult to get hold of as my usual suplier has stopped holding it due to "HEALTH AND SAFETY" What do you pay for a kilo pot and do you use it in the same way and quantities as b/p.? Also do you still get the "GRIN Factor" Ie, lots of smoke and a 6 foot flame. Tim

Hi Tim

I can't remember costs - I'll check for you.

Triple 7 is used by Volume - not weight.

I weigh out my charges & use 25gn BP - which by volume 777 comes out to 20gn

Cheers

Roy

Oh - and if you are getting a 6ft flame you are using too much !!
    Last edited by harricook; 11-12-2008 at 11:36 AM.

tim,

You're not going to like the cost! It's about double what black is!

Triple 7 at my local place is around 30 quid a tub, which is 1lb.

Use it by volume. Still loads of smoke. A bit "hotter" than black, so it goes off with a sharper report and a snappier recoil. Clean up is a piece of pi$$, just cold running water.

Give it a yaror two and you'll not be able to get black powder, full stop. The health and safety nazis will literally price it out of existance.

Nearest place for me to get BP is 30 miles away.
    777 I can get posted to me.
    So its a wasted afternoon driving, paying for petrol and parking fees and still having a fair distance to walk or pick up the phone and say good morning to postman next day.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thanks for the imfo guys. £30 a lb is double what i pay for TS2 but as said above by the time you have payed for deisel ect to go get it it probably works out cheaper. Especially in the old .577 where 75grns is burnt at a time.

Smokeless,
    I didn't know you could get 777 through the post, can you buy it via the net?
    Do you have any addresses? As you say, it would also save me a long drive/petrol ect. Also what do you pay for a 1lb tub?
    Cheers,
    Blackrat

You could also try Pyrodex P about £21 for the same amount of 777.

Yes, its more corrosive than 777, you need to clean your gun within about 1hr, I do anyway so its never been a problem for me. I find there is no difference in ease of cleaning - 777 is suppose to be easier to clean.

With Pyrodex P by volume it works out the same as the equiv B/P.
    777 lots of ooomph about 20% more powerful than B/P, so you can use less.

In my Colt 61 (Sheriff) I use 15g of 777. With Pyrodex P, I use 18g - My groups are better with the Pyrodex.

In my Remington 58 with 777 I use 24g. Pyrodex P settled on 24g and it shoots point of aim - Yes same amount.

777 - is £36 in my area.

I get mine from Wilson & Wilson 01843 822242

charges £6.20 p&p so you are looking at £36 ish but to me its only once a year so no sweat. Would cost me more than a tenner in petrol to go and collect it and its with me next day without hassle.

I had a long chat with the people at Hodgdons in the US about 777. When they designed it the equipment said it was volume for volume producing the same energy as BP. However in field tests shooters were chronoing m/v up on BP. The outcome of further test show that it burns quicker so for the same m/v the recommendation is to reduce powder by 15%. Interestingly energy and breech pressure are then less for the same m/v.

The longarm hunters in the US use it vol for vol for the flater trajectory and harder hitting of a faster projectile.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I've never tried 777 so I'm interested to see the positive reports. Do you feel that your groups are as tight? I always found that Black powder seemed to produce better groups than Pyrodex.