Thread: Advice re buying a correcting lens.

Smile Advice re buying a correcting lens.

I've bought a 2nd hand pair of Knobloch specs and I want to know how do I acquire the correcting lens that I need.
    Who do I approach to buy one and what do I ask an optician when I'm having my vision tested to spec out the lens.
    I understand that it's not just a copy of my prescription for the spectacles I use when driving.
    I've been told two things so far. A) the lens should have the focal point on the foresight. B) The focal point should be about 2 mts in front of you.

As you have probably guessed I have taken up .22 prone shooting and this is part of learning curve. Regards JJ

You can just use your prescription lens... I got mine done by sending my prescription off to http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/ , but it might be better at getting one done to suit the specific range/gun you shoot.
    Last edited by RobF; 11-12-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Shooting Lens

All you need to do is send your prescription and lens holder to Stewards,tell them what you are shooting and they do the rest.
    Peter

For my last two lenses I wnt to Specsavers. Take the frames with you and explain to the optician that you need to be able to focus at around 6 feet, even with very bad eyesight the aperture will then get you down to the foresight. You also need to explain that as you are trying to align concentric circles then the correction of even minor astigmatism in the aimimg eye is very important. Often they will leave very slight astigmatism uncorrected in one eye as the other will usually compensate naturally, this of course dosn't happen when you are looking though sights. They were able to produce a lens for me in 7 days, and as it is a very simple lens (circular) they arn't that expensive. In fact at my last check the locum optician that was covering was a fullbore rifle shooter back home in South Africa.

Alan

'ppreciate the feedback.

I shall troll into Specsavers next week.

Thank you all. JJ

I use a pair of "ready readers" for pistol shooting and had a lens made to my prescription by one of the mail order specs companies, for £10. I simply sent the original lens as a sample for the shape. This will be way cheaper than going to an optician.

Unfortunately I don't remember which company it was and I have a bunch in my favourites, from searching for prescription specs. 20 or 30 mins emailing a few will save you some £££s though.

Experiment with ready readers in a shop until you find the diopter to give you focus where you want it.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

You do really need to take your pistol with you so that you can have the correct focus which is on the foresight and back sight. It doesn't matter if the target is a blur as long as you can see the sights clearly. It might be worth warning your optician of this in advance. Stewards of Bisley in Bristol are used to this but your local optician might not be so accomodating! I assume this is pistol we are talking about?