Thread: HW40 - Help Regarding Lubrication

HW40 - Help Regarding Lubrication

Hi

I'me fairly new to airgunning but seem to have aquired quite a few in the past 6 months! I have owned an HW40 for a couple of months, shot a couple of tins of pellets and feel it's about time to lubricate the piston.

I have read on this forum that sylicone oil or grease is best for 'O' rings but is no good for metal to metal friction surfaces. Mineral oil is supposed to be best used the other way round. Problem is that the piston has friction to the metal cylinder and has a very important 'O' ring.

Todd Cooper says in his super review that he uses a few drops of Pellgunoil but I can't get this locally.

I have a tin of Bisley gun oil - can I safely use this on the piston and therefore some will also lubricate the 'O' ring ??

What do other owners of HW40's use ??

Regards Zyg

HW40, HW45 .22, Crosman 1377, Webley Typhoon .22 (British), BAM Xs19B
    BAM DB4, Feinwerkbau Sport 127

Quote Originally Posted by Zyggy View Post
    Hi

I'me fairly new to airgunning but seem to have aquired quite a few in the past 6 months! I have owned an HW40 for a couple of months, shot a couple of tins of pellets and feel it's about time to lubricate the piston.

I have read on this forum that sylicone oil or grease is best for 'O' rings but is no good for metal to metal friction surfaces. Mineral oil is supposed to be best used the other way round. Problem is that the piston has friction to the metal cylinder and has a very important 'O' ring.

Todd Cooper says in his super review that he uses a few drops of Pellgunoil but I can't get this locally.

I have a tin of Bisley gun oil - can I safely use this on the piston and therefore some will also lubricate the 'O' ring ??

What do other owners of HW40's use ??

Regards Zyg

Hi Zyg,

I've shot many tins of pellets through my 40 and I have not lubed it since I got it. Its still putting out the power its supposed to and its still capable of pellet on pellet (when I am).

Interesting question you have posed.

Lets hear from other 40 owners, do you need to lube them regularly??

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Hi Fella, i put 2 drops of Pellgunoil on the piston every 6 months or after about 10 tins of pellets and that is it. if you can't get it locally try Uttings or EvilBay.

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

When I was using my '40 regularly, I used Bisley Gun Lubricant - this is probably different to what you already have, it comes in a 30ml plastic bottle.

According to Uttings, it's a molybdenised silicon oil, that must make the difference because it is suitable for metal-to-metal surfaces.

Iain

Nickpan is offline I love a lot of slippery, soapy men's bums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyggy View Post
    Hi

I can send you some Pellgunoil if you pm me.
    Nick
    no such words as alot or ect, and do you really want to add a second 'o' in 'lose', unless you're talking about something that isn't very tight?

Thanks for the offer Nick - pm sent and lubrication problem solved.

It's interesting that I have found on various forums a difference of opinion on the make-up of Pellgunoil which is why I was a bit worried what to substitute for it. Some say that it is a silicone based product as Crosman supply it with their Co2 guns for use on cartridges and others say its mainly 30 grade mineral oil as it burns well and has a similar viscosity - perhaps it contains both!!

Anyway problem currently solved thanks to Nick.

Regards
    Zyg