Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FEINWERKBAU SPORT and the ANSCHUTZ 335

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

FEINWERKBAU SPORT and the ANSCHUTZ 335

Is a tuned 335 a match for the Feinwerkbau Sport?

I think it a shame that the Sport did not have the breech arrangement and trigger of the 335. Or maybe that Anschutz did not make their 335 to the same extreme quality as the Sport.

How do they square up to eachother? And NO, I don't want a lecture on the Wubbly Omega-3.

Exclamation for what

it would probably be a good match for accuracy but i dont think the anshutz could compete in the power stakes (without seriously shortening its working life )
    and the OMEGA is no better than the VULCAN it replaced IMO ( with its slab of PTFE for a piston washer )

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    and the OMEGA is no better than the VULCAN it replaced IMO ( with its slab of PTFE for a piston washer )
    The Omega didn't replace the Vulcan, it sat alongside it in the Webley range as the top of the tree option. Had an Anschutz LG335 and an Omega carbine when my first FWB Sport landed (a 127) which I loved, but being seduced by all the hype surrounding the Sport 124, sold it (shame), and bought a sorted FWB Sport 124. This was a nice .177 rifle true, but I did a Pepsi challenge and tbh I found it to be no better than my Omega, and not as smooth as my LG335, so moved it on to free the funds again for another Sport 127.

Okay, so the Arnie only does 10ft.lb, but it is soooo much smoother than the Sport 124 which was/is imho, a highly over rated rifle as is only as good as -- not better than -- the aforementioned Omega or Arnie LG335 in .177. Sports look better though, granted, and (again imho) the Sport 124 and 127 are visually the sexiest production run break-barrel air rifles ever produced (and the 127 the best all-round break-barrel .22 to shoot, too ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    That's what I love about you Gareth, not afraid to tell it how it is and give your opinion, I can't comment on either of the rifles mentioned as I've never shot either but I have owned a Omega and thought that it was a very good rifle and trigger for the time (when it was first produced) and yes you are right about it being the bigger brother to the Vulcan, it was the Stingray that replaced the Vulcan.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    That's what I love about you Gareth, not afraid to tell it how it is and give your opinion ...
    Cheers Pete, cheque is in the post . Yep, it's a 'big-up' for the Omega here, as imo it is equally as good in .177 as an FWB Sport 124, and maybe (just maybe) marginally superior . Coupled with the fact that it is British and (again imo) the best standard production line break barrel rifle Birmingham ever produced, the Webley Omega for me, really is the top of the springer tree . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    But with a barrel locking catch, an adjustable breech bolt instead of the downfall of the British break barrel airgun A PIN scope arrestor grooves and a resettable auto safety catch!

Personally I would be hard pressed to decide between the 335, the 'Sport and the Omega. The 335 looses out on its lack of power (who wants to kill dustbins? ) but also on looks (too square) and its weakness is the stock mounting lugs which have a known habit of breaking at the welds.
    On looks alone I think the Omega and the 'Sport are both great looking rifles. In standard performance, 'out of the box' and un tuned, the Omega has the edge but once tuned with a shorter spring, which doesn't loose any performance, the 'Sport takes it.
    Saying that. The gas rammed Omega I have is something else. Several people who have shot it cant understand why Webley didn't put it into production. Now that rifle does beat the FWB offering.

Just my opinion.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

There's only one way to sort this out........

Seduction and reputation

I think we have all probably been "seduced" by one or other airguns of wonderful reputation! I spent years looking for a really good Sharp Innova in .177 and having found one I found it to be a very good gun but it does not hold a candle to my 1980 vintage Model C Sheridan Silver Streak in .20 calibre which would have cost a fraction of the price of the Sharp.

I failed to get a very nice FWB 127 in an auction recently...but now I don't feel so let down!

Mike95

I can't comment on the comparison with the 335 (or Omega) because I'm not familiar with those rifles. But I would say to Gareth that a 124 without a tune and one with a tune are two very different animals, (as Ian just hinted at). While an untuned 124 can be a bit harsh on the recoil, a Bowkett-tuned (or a properly lubed Maccari) 124 gives only a gentle nudge that makes you think the power must be about 6ft/lbs. But on the chrono it's 11.7.

HW55....a contender

I suggest that the HW55 must be a serious contender when considering quality break barrels. Does not have huge power but at 7ft/lbs shoots with virtually no recoil and the build quality is superb. I have been tempted to put in the HW50 spring and increase power but I would hate to lose the smoothness. I did own an Anschutz 335 target which was a very fine break barrel...after the stock lugs had been welded back! I will keep the FWB and the Omega on my wish list.

Mike95

ive got a fienwerkbau sport 127 gettin fixed at the moment wasmy first air rifle when i was 14 m7y dad got it me not realising that it was abit saufght after when in mint condition i think hepayed about 40 pound for it.

I think if you are to compare both the '335 and the Sport against one another, then you need to set some criteria. Are you for example comparing them as sporting air rifles or general plinkers?

I own 3 Sports and 3 335s. I think that for sporting use, then you need to tinker with the '335 a tad to get it nearer 12 ft llbs (especially in .177). I have done this to 2 of the 3 335s I have. They achieve 12ft llbs pretty easy but do lose some smoothness- its a trade off that must be accepted. A professional tune by one of the top tuning houses may achieve the 12 ft llbs a bit smoother however.

The Sport on the other hand achieves the limit with ease and can maintain smooth firing cycle to boot.

Accuracy wise, I think there is very little between the two rifles- but I would say that if it came down to it, the 335 would just take things in the accuracy stakes.

The 335 does have an extremely good breech lock up, which of course is an area that older Sports can suffer due to wear. On the down side, as Ian suggested above, the 335 does have an Achilles heel as regards to the lug welds on the rear fixing bracket. Take it from someone who has witnessed one of these failures first hand- it can be quite harmful to both rifle and more so the operator!

I have 2 of the 3 335s of mine converted to ptfe heads and this does release power, but as stated above its at a slight cost of smoothness. Consistency is improved however.

Bottom line is that if going hunting, I reach for the Sport. If going for a fun plink and hopefully to shoot some nice tight groupings, I take the 335. As I do more of the former than latter, the Sport just edges this rifle in my books.

Dave

I have shooting two 124's and a late 335 .177 and a Omega .22. My Sports are old school and new school basic tar and molly tuned. Both untuned, the Omega is the most twangy followed by the 335 (a tune job in the new year).
    For springers they all shoot extremely accurately and you feel they want too. However, all of them are hold sensitive and will throw pellets out of a cluster by 1/2 an inch without hesitation. The Anschutz lags behind in power noticeably but is only 5m behind in practical ranges.
    All the triggers are good to fair but not a Record. The Anschutz the lightest, the Sport more predictable and the Omega I'll have to leave as I haven't shot mine enough to decide.
    Stock ergonomics the Omega is hard to beat for a full sized rifle, just superb. The Sport MKIII later deluxe stock is my favorite but then I've used it for ever. The early Sports stocks and weight were perfect for a hunting rifle. The Anschutz are as already said a bit slaby, and the stamped chequering and finish poor in comparison. Looks wise the Omega a Sport are equals; shame no walnut and they all look best with full length barrels.
    They all take scopes well with arrestor studs. Open sights off the Anschutz is the only one I couldn't find a screw hole cover.
    They all cock smoothly without much effort and non are exactly heavy weights.

The HW 77 does shoot better but then weighs a ton. HW 80 should be better but isn't. Theobens are on par if not has the slightest edge on overall performance. I don't own an Air Arms Pro Sport which is the rifle I most want to compare all the above with.

Nearly all .22LR will beat the pants off a spring air rifle because the bullet is out of the barrel so much faster. All 12/ftlbs air rifles take an age to get the pellet out which make it so much more challenging.

FWB v ANS.335

Before those awful PCP's came along, the FT shoots in Yorkshire used to include as a side shoot, a 50 yard- 20 shot competition on paper targets

At the time I owned both the FWB127 and an Anschutz 335 also in .22

The FWB had 2 ftlbs more energy than the 335, but the 335 was the gun I always chose for this competition and picked up quite a few gongs. Better trigger and it held its zero because of the better engineered breech.

The FWB on the other hand (at close on 12 ftlbs) was first choice for hunting

I can't comment on the Omega. My brother in law had (and still has) a .22 Omega that he won in a 'spot the difference' AGW competition. He never impressed me with its accuracy but perhaps he was just a ####*p shot and so I never bought one

John
    hold me back !!

Many many moons ago....probably nearly thirty,I had gone down to my local club shoot (Stour Vale Woodsmen) for the weekly "shoot" & was drawn to go around the circuit with the then British champ at that time.Can't remember his name,but nice bloke.I had the collecting bug even then & went around with a Webley Supertarget...he used his FT FWB 127 (I think?) don't think it was a 124.Needless to say...he shot the pants off me...mind you,I never was a very good shot!As far as I can remember from what he told me,the FWB was standard except for the trigger being "worked on"

Does anyone remember what his name was..?He must have been one of the very first British champs?

Wouldn't it be interesteing in seeing a list of the British FT champs & what guns they used from it's very earliest beginings...does anyone have such a list?You would get an insight to when PCP's took over from the springers...

Very interesting post by the way.