Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FEINWERKBAU SPORT and the ANSCHUTZ 335

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post

Does anyone remember what his name was..?He must have been one of the very first British champs?
    Probably Ian Law. He started out with a FWB300S and then realised that the 6ft/lb power was not great for a windy day and for the 45 yard targets so he got a FWB Sport.

The most common rifles in the very early days amongst the winners were the FWB Sport and the Original 45, some HW35s as well. There are lists of the guns used in the AGWs of the time, ask IJ to post them up. This was in the days before the HW80 and HW77. One shoot I went to saw John Whiscombe with his early prototype rifle made of two BSA Mercury cylinders welded together!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    I have been tempted to put in the HW50 spring and increase power but I would hate to lose the smoothness.

Mike95
    I was also tempted to increase the power of one of my HW55s and went down the bigger spring, nylon piston head route (from the original leather head). I wasn't brave enough to alter the transfer port size. I didn't like the end result. For the very small increase in power I had increased the recoil and lost some of the accuracy.
    Didn't Weihrauch produce another full power break barrel rifle with a barrel locking system ?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Looks wise the Omega a Sport are equals; shame no walnut and they all look best with full length barrels.
    Yes, a real shame.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I.J. you are a real temptress...I would give my right ballcock to have a peep into your "airgun room"....what wonders one would see.!

I (pre Xmas) toast your enthusiasm & love of all things twangy..

No factory walnut; some was commissioned elsewhere and could be called official but in my opinion lacks the flow of the deluxe. didn't say that I wouldn't have had one though. THe Mastersport and Venum stocks were nice too.

I don't own an Air Arms Pro Sport which is the rifle I most want to compare all the above with.
    I do and, without wanting to upset the apple cart I dont favour it over my tuned 'Sports or Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    I.J. you are a real temptress...I would give my right ballcock to have a peep into your "airgun room"....what wonders one would see.!

I (pre Xmas) toast your enthusiasm & love of all things twangy..
    Thank you. If you ever plan to be in this area give me some advance notice and I will give you a guided tour. I wont take you up on your entry 'fee' though.
    A few of the more exotic items in my collection will be on display, and for use, at our forth coming Classic Rifle and Pistol event (Sun. 1st Feb. '09). If theres anything specific you would like to see just let me know.

ATB
    Ian

Anschutz V FWB

The winner is the HW80. I had a mate who had had a 335 for years. Two weeks after shooting my 80 he went out a bought one as a replacement for the 335.

Oh I am suprised no one has mentioned the superb BSF S70 in this thread, surely a contender. I agree about the HW55 though, the thinking mans air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    The winner is the HW80. I had a mate who had had a 335 for years. Two weeks after shooting my 80 he went out a bought one as a replacement for the 335.

Oh I am suprised no one has mentioned the superb BSF S70 in this thread, surely a contender. I agree about the HW55 though, the thinking mans air rifle.
    no one mentioned a BSF s70 ( or HW 80)
    because the original poster didnt ask about those models
    the BSF is a cool gun IMO but the 80 is just a lump and not in the same league as the others
    and dont even start me on the pro sport ( had one hate them )

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    The HW80 is better for F.A.C. Why have all that power potential and extra weight when the '85/95 provides the same but lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    no one mentioned a BSF s70 ( or HW 80)
    because the original poster didnt ask about those models
    the BSF is a cool gun IMO but the 80 is just a lump and not in the same league as the others
    and dont even start me on the pro sport ( had one hate them )
    Agreed. Move over MALLY - make room for me in the bomb shelter.

ATB
    Ian

Thanks Hsing-ee,
    Guess that was the geeza...I did hear many years later that someone had bought a secondhand FWB with an inscription plate on it saying it had been that very gun...but I suppose it could have been a tale...?Dave & Ivan were experimenting at the time with HW55T's & BSF's from what I can remember...?They were good times...wished I'd kept all my Venoms from those early days.!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The HW80 is better for F.A.C. Why have all that power potential and extra weight when the '85/95 provides the same but lighter.

Agreed. Move over MALLY - make room for me in the bomb shelter.

ATB
    Ian
    Hey buddy your just trying to make it up to me after selling my mate BRICKIE DAVE a gate spring
    i have told him that OVER MY DEAD AND ROTTING CORPSE is that thing going in his JOHN BOWKET TUNED SPORT
    but as you like PRO SPORTS as much as i do you are forgiven

I can't really offer a comparison but I'm lucky enough to have an almost as new FWB Sport 124 MkIII topped with a Tasco AG 4 x 40 in similar condition.

The gun has been tuned by Roger Moy to 11 ft lb with JSB 8.4s, he has also done what I can only describe as something to the trigger; it's light and predictable somewhat like a Record.

I spend most of my shooting time with a Walther Dominator but the time I spend with the FWB is perhaps the most enjoyable of all. The gun gives me a great level of satisfaction and it's incredibly accurate, I know that at 25 yards it shoots as good a groups as my Venom hw77 with a Custom Shop on it, and I managed to get 26 ex 30 on a nasty Winter League course with that today.

I always wanted one as a lad 20-odd years ago. We had ASI Magnums, Vulcans, I had a BSA Mercury with the slabby stock. All bobbins compared to the Sport.

I can't comment on the 335 as it's one of the few guns I've even handled, I've also never shot a standard FWB but I can't imagine swapping my Sport for another break-barrel; unless a Venom Mach-1 pops up!
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I don't own an Air Arms Pro Sport which is the rifle I most want to compare all the above with.
    I do and, without wanting to upset the apple cart I don't favour it over my tuned Sports or Omega. .
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    don’t even start me on the pro sport (had one hate them)
    Agreed. Move over MALLY -- make room for me in the bomb shelter.
    Sorry I.J. and Mally my friends, but I own a ProSport .177, and although I don't like Air Arms as a company, I have to say I rate it very highly. It performs perfectly and is incredibly accurate and over the last three month since buying it off Paddy, has become my second favourite sub 12ft.lb springer after my Omega (and just ahead of my aforementioned .177 LG335 ). No good for stalking however, as are a pig to load on the move (unlike a good old fashioned break-barrel), although the weight that people always moan about does not bother me a jot . Now where is that bunker you mentioned as am about to cudgel my way in and getcha . Ha ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    .... although the weight that people always moan about does not bother me a jot .
    Now where is that bunker you mentioned as am about to cudgel my way in and getcha . Ha ha ha. Atb: G.
    Gareth - I think even you will admit that there is a slight build and physique difference between us. Whats of no weight consideration to you means I, as a fully paid up whimp, can hardly lift the damn thing. Theres also the 'thing' about the squared cocking lever, its lever pivot wear and the fault with part of the cocking slide coming loose.

You will find me in the bunker hiding behind Mally.

ATB
    Ian

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Gareth - I think even you will admit that there is a slight build and physique difference between us.
    ... Hi Ian, marginal difference in my favour I grant thee (hee hee hee) ...

Theres also the 'thing' about the squared cocking lever, its lever pivot wear and the fault with part of the cocking slide coming loose.
    Swiss-filed a .5mm chamfer all around the lever to lessen the 'cutting' effect of its edges on my fingers (standard mod which works and if done well, visually you can't tell ). Will replace the lever pivot nylon bush every 24 months as recommended (quick, cheap and easy like me ), and having an engineering background I check all screws are tight on my rifles while oiling and cleaning after use . Finally, no need to hide behind our Mally as I vill be hiding in zee bunker with you like as not as the FWB Gestapo are after me according to the p-m they sent upon reading my first post on this thread (post #3), so I'm hiding with you ha ha ha. Merry Christmas. Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 15-12-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: coz I can.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

[QUOTE=Gareth W-B;3187711]... I vill be hiding in zee bunker with you like as not as the FWB Gestapo are after me according to the p-m they sent upon reading my first post on this thread (post #3), so I'm hiding with you [QUOTE]

I wonder. Can you get a three man (well, two man and a wimp ) sized bullet proof anorak.

ATB
    Ian