Thread: Gamo Varnish

Gamo Varnish

Hi,
    I have an old Gamo/ASI sniper rifle and the varnish or paint is flaking off. What would you advise? Strip it off and repaint or polish it? Ive repolished before but not to a high standard-has anyone refinnished a stock with this paint type stuff on it? Thanks in advance.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Strip the old varnish off with nitromoors or summat......re-varnish or apply oil to your taste.

Here's one I did earlier!

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

WOW
    its the same model I have! Unbelievable! Yours looks so much better with the different stock finish-well done sir. Makes one wonder why did Gamo bother with all that brown stuff! What stain did you use?
    Thanks for this by the way, I will start her today.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    WOW
    its the same model I have! Unbelievable! Yours looks so much better with the different stock finish-well done sir. Makes one wonder why did Gamo bother with all that brown stuff! What stain did you use?
    Thanks for this by the way, I will start her today.
    No stain involved, just 6 coats of Tru Oil.

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    No stain involved, just 6 coats of Tru Oil.

HTH.

Roy.
    NUTTY LES did a similar thing with a gamo magnum looks really nice with a bit of work

Hi,
    stripped the varnish off and applied the first coat of oil. Used wet and dry to remove the rust and remaining blueing, starting to get a decent shine! Now considering leaving it as bare metal instead of spraying it black! Dont want it to look like something the village people would use but all of a sudden it looks respectable again.