Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLINGED PRE-WAR

edbear2 Guest

BLINGED PRE-WAR

What would be the reaction in most peoples eyes to polishing/plating/hydrographics (delete process not required) on say a BSA improved model D.......assuming the doner gun was in a poor,rusted all over condition, but sound and complete....IMHO, once this far gone, a refinish is needed as its well past the "even patina" stage, but there are 100's of these about, they are not a super rare gun, and I fancy doing something different as a project..possibly fitting a period scope with a wards/lyman type mount and brass plating the whole caboodle...would I be banished forever to collectors hell???????????????????????

Its yours so do what you like with it ! I can just here the restorers screaming ' NO ' when reading this though . lol

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Go for it. If it really is past it's 'sell by date', have some fun with it.

I say do it, if its not a rare gun and it's in poor shape to start with.

Remeber, we'll want pictures

Go on Eddie, give it a go mate!
    I've got a 'basket-case' of an Imp Mod D I've been umming & ahhing over whether to chrome plate!
    I might just do it now......
    Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Yeah, do it. Fit it with a modern scope though, and give it a raised cheek-piece with butt-hook.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I have been thinking along similar lines as i have a basket case imp model d, proper stock, modern scope, tuned internals, modern trigger unit. I wouldnt bling it though after all it needs to be done tastefully

Hi,

I'm really not keen on reblued or over polished guns as I think they are bland and characterless, but I think nickel plating a rough one or badly pitted one would be fine. Its almost a correct period modification in the ethos of make do and mend.
    Indeed with £'s and new airguns in short supply in the post war years, many prewar airguns were plated on friday afternoons back in the days when were still an industrial nation.

If it was mine I wouldn't use that Lyman mount, unless your scope is one of those extra long target jobs without adjustors. Instead I would keep it as a, "Pre War British Special" and find a set of those beautifully engineered windage adjustable 1930's Parker Hale mounts and bases. Is your scope 3/4inch or 7/8 inc.
    Only if the stockwood is fubar'd, you could probably make a cheek piece along the lines of the Lee Enfield no 4T sniper rifle, or perhaps make a leather one.

I have a quite good condition Imp mod D .22 sporting pattern that has an almost invisible fracture across the cylinder just in front of the trigger guard - probably from being shot with a loose trigger guard at some point over the years. One day when funds allow I'll find somebody who knows what he's at to weld it for me. It might then go one of the professionals for a tune and to be tapped for bases as I have a very nice tiny old 1930's german scope for it.
    In fact I better get a move on - It could be my bunny and pheasant gun for the "Great Depression" years !

I will watch this thread with interest.

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 15-12-2008 at 06:30 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

edbear2 Guest

finally got going on the job.....

Have filed all the barnacles and pitting off the main tube thing, and given it a sanding up.....also filed up a block to go between the tube and Ward scope mtg....just updating this as posted a couple of pics on the thread about the airsporter repair .....as I said on there, will probably end up blueing it after all, but will do a dry build in its present finish and photo to see how it looks all shiny, or maybe half and half like a militia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7612482184171/

Have set claymores, wire and new trip lighting all around the house in case I get a visit from the farnham posse!!!!! (you know who you are)
    Last edited by edbear2; 14-01-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Jeez - never mind the Webley (which looks lovely by the way ), judging by the other photos on there - especially the F1 exhaust system, you are clearly a master of your art!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Jeez - never mind the Webley (which looks lovely by the way ), judging by the other photos on there - especially the F1 exhaust system, you are clearly a master of your art!
    As an articled and apprenticeship served engineer and fitter/toolmaker in a previous life (which came to an abrupt end in 1985), ditto wot Paddy (another accomplished engineer) has said ... On the subject of polishing/plating a tired old rifle however, I would just like to say that I'm from Essex, so to me a bit of bling can be just the thing . Please keep this thread up-dated for us right to the very end (then sell the finished product to me ). Ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I remember an article in an old 80's AGW where an American guy had a scoped prewar BSA with tyrolean stock will try to find which issue it was in, looked cool

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Leicastuff View Post
    Here's a couple of pics of that rifle
    Good grief . Still, can see why you remembered it . As of today "ugly" has a new standard . Ha ha ha. Cheers for making my day matey . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Still Some Craftsmen About Then...

Nice work Edbear. Anyone who has welded up a Spitfire and a Vincent and the other lovely stuff in your photos has indeed 'been there, done that'! Since I sometimes despair in finding a craftsman for a special job, you have cheered me up no end. Please keep your Improved Model D as close to standard as possible. You are one of the few of us collectors who has the skill and facilities to rebuild almost anything back to stock specification. Thanks for the warm and fuzzy feeling.