Thread: Bipod?

Bipod?

Hi, does anyone have an opinion on bipods? im not sure what to think, i use them for 1 type of competition but a lot of people use them all the time but to me they seem to takes the point out of competative shooting!!! any thoughts anybody?

terry is offline This is not the Terry you are looking for....

bipods

Quote Originally Posted by walrus81 View Post
    Hi, does anyone have an opinion on bipods? im not sure what to think, i use them for 1 type of competition but a lot of people use them all the time but to me they seem to takes the point out of competative shooting!!! any thoughts anybody?
    in my opinion [ thats not worth much] i have a harris bipod on my mk1 s10 with a walnut gary cane stock and other gear on it , the gun i found is to heavy to stomp about the woods in . so its a lay down job . now i hunt in . 22 ..... dad do competion with his 7 mill @ 1000 yrds and hitting V bull he has a harris . it all depends what you are shooting air rifle like me or center fire . i walk about a lot with my light guns , the heavy guns sit still and wait , as i am a hunter hope this helps walrus

Quote Originally Posted by walrus81 View Post
    I can't see why they would take the point out of competitive shooting? If everybody is allowed to use them then everybody is in the same boat..
    If you're into competitive shooting then the rules either include them or exclude them. I find them good for load development/grouping trials (ie. taking my wobbles out of the equation)

How do you feel about Iron sights/Telescopic sights? Personally I find telescopic sights use boring for Target shooting and would much rather use Irons.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

hi

i think there a no cheat option for any shooting style whether it be vermin or target. you still have to consider hold over, wind etc...for me any rest is good and, if everyone uses them there is NO advantage
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Use a short pair of sticks, especially if you are hunting. I have been using home made bipod for 30 odd years, full bore and air rifle. I have posted how I make it somewhere on here...but I am hopeless at using the search thing. It never works for me!

Short sticks - either hazel the thickness of your finger (8mm - 10mm?)
    The length according to how high you want them when you are prone/sat....
    Mine are about 12" long for prone, if I am sat I can shoot happily without sticks.

Hinge is a length of bicycle inner tube rubber - a section of it to form a rubber band about 1" thick.

Simply put the rubber band over the end of the two sticks, tight. That's it. To use the bipod you simply lay down, open the sticks and put the forend in the V of the sticks. Where you put the band determines how much V you have. Being wood, they make no noise are very light and won't mark your stock forend (you could always wrap some gaffer tape round to protect if you wanted, I haven't bothered.

With the rifle rested at the front, your non trigger hand goes UNDER THE TOE OF THE STOCK..not at the forend, that is what the sticks are for! Your non trigger hand elbow should point almost at the target, hand forming a V with the stock resting in it, you can now very minutely control your rifle elevation. The rifle is supported at the forend by the bipod legs, at the rear resting in the crutch your has made. Allow it to recoil naturally.

IMHO the Caldwell XLA is the best bi-pod on the market for price and build quality, that harris shades it on weight...

rockmount make a decent bipod as well
    for cheap enough

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    i have a harris, always end up using it for hunting, usually off the bonnet of the vehicle, wouldn't do without it.

i also have a rear monopod that i use in conjuction with my bipod, see in my sig (for those longer shots)

i have a harris tilt bipod and i have to admit ive gained 100% accuacy with it and id recommed to anyone