Thread: Pistol comps and set up?

Pistol comps and set up?

Ok im brand new to pistol shooting and know next to nothing about the 'circuit' .
    Apart from shooting the random pistols the ol' man had when i was growing up!

What would be the ideal pistol and calibre for match shooting?

Where are the competitions held ?

And what is the format for the competitions i.e distance,how many shots, target size etc ?

sorry if this is a well used question?

thanks for any replies !
    'Beans??!!....Beans are for Riflemen' (capt Yates 2RGJ)

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    You can shoot internet competitions right from your own living room or backyard, Skipper.

I'm heading out right now but will send you more info ASAP.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Break it down. Do you want to shoot paper or knockover targets?

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Lot's 'a pistol competition right here!

Right here, the Umarex Boys Club (look for any Thread with these words, or Police Pistol Competition) sponsors free monthly comps that you can shoot from your own home!

We have a police comp, open to any repeating air pistol that holds at least 6 rounds.

We also have a bullseye comp, with separate categories for CO2, PCP, springer, or single stroke pneumatic.

These require nothing but pistol, pellets, targets that you can print out from our Threads, and 6 yards of safe shooting space. We post scores here: there's no need to go anywhere.

Now, if you want to shoot at formal shoulder-to-shoulder matches...well, how about it, guys, let him in on the local scene!

Me being in New Orleans, any info I could give wouldn't help much!

Truth to tell, though: while the good side is that we're allowed to own cartridge pistols here in the States, the bad side is that air pistol competition is pretty sparse here. I've shot both, and I think air pistols are just plain more FUN than cartridge.

I'm really a pistol plinker, as are most of us here. I do know about the serious 10 meter bullseye air pistol competitions with hyper-accurate and super-expensive PCP pistols, but that really doesn't interest me very much.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Ok im brand new to pistol shooting and know next to nothing about the 'circuit' .

And what is the format for the competitions i.e distance,how many shots, target size etc ?

thanks for any replies !
    Hi Skipper, Jim above has mentioned the UBC of which I'm the founder and would be happy to make you a member just PM me your first name and a tag-line like the one found here or look on our website www.UmarexBoysClub.co.uk

as for The Ideal Pistol!! we will leave that and say the ideal starter pistol, it really depends on how much you have to spend and what you want to do with it. £100 will get you a good Fun Umarex 8 shot Co2 Pistol, or a Weihrauch HW40 or Gamo Compact, £200 will get you a Weihrauch HW75 or a Rohm Twin master, £350 will get you a Alfa Proj Co2 Sport or a Baikal IZH46M and then the price really starts to rocket Have a look at this thread it may help. what ever you decide go for a .177

hope this helps

atvb

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Hi Skipper, Jim above has mentioned the UBC of which I'm the founder and would be happy to make you a member just PM me your first name and a tag-line like the one found here or look on our website www.UmarexBoysClub.co.uk

as for The Ideal Pistol!! we will leave that and say the ideal starter pistol, it really depends on how much you have to spend and what you want to do with it. £100 will get you a good Fun Umarex 8 shot Co2 Pistol, or a Weihrauch HW40 or Gamo Compact, £200 will get you a Weihrauch HW75 or a Rohm Twin master, £350 will get you a Alfa Proj Co2 Sport or a Baikal IZH46M and then the price really starts to rocket Have a look at this thread it may help. what ever you decide go for a .177

hope this helps

atvb

Jason
    All great info! Air pistols run the gamut: some are little more than toys, others are capable of one-hole accuracy at 10 meters. (Air pistol, like air rifle,is an Olympic sport, since 1984).

Are you interested in serious bullseye competition? Or backyard tin can shooting? Combat matches? Knocking down iron plates? Lots of UK guys shoot "hunter" matches, simulating hunting game (though this is more popular with rifle). Are you more interested in accuracy? Power? Multi-shot capability?

PCP's dominate serious bullseye competition. CO2's are very popular with plinkers and are ideal for combat matches. Some prefer the traditional spring piston action, others like the no-recoil single stroke pneumatic.

You might look into the Pyramyd Air site. It's a US company, but just to see what's available out there....They also do air pistol reviews.

Jim

Jim

Thanks for all the replies there is obviously alot of knowledge in here and it has given me plenty of food for thought !

P.s Jim the girlfriend wants to know how New orleans is as she went to university in Mississippi and went to new orleans a few times !
    Last edited by Skipper; 16-12-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Well i will have to definatetly have to shoot at a venue as i live on a boat and dont have the luxury of a garden/yard (i think the other moorers might start diving for cover if i wave a pistol around )

Intially i was thinking of going down the PCP route but im thinking more along the lines of getting a springer, would i be right in saying a HW 45 might get me going?

The UBC looks fantastic.

Well, Skipper, you're one of the few for whom shooting at home ISN'T convenient!

New Orleans - the main part of it, on the East Bank of the Mississippi River - was for the most part destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, in August 2005. Fortunately, the French Quarter and Uptown, below St. Charles Avenue - these are the most interesting parts, and the ones most visitors are familiar with - were largely untouched.

Some devastated neighborhoods have been largely rebuilt. Ohters may take decades.

I have a degree from Mississippi College, by the way. (Jackson: your girl friend will know Jackson: state capitol, and largest city).

PCP's are best for serious target work. HW 45...now, that's a right serious piece of kit! I hope to own one some day. They are often described as "bomb proof" and as "the Holy Grail of air pistols". They'd probably last a lifetime, and then some.

Never fired one, but being a powerful springer, I'd imagine they have a healthy kick.

Please do join us in the Umarex Boys Club.

Cheers,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 16-12-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post

thanks for any replies !

When you say match you mean ISSF?
    For ISSF air pistol shooting the caliber is 4.5mm
    distance 10 meters
    60 shoots standing, 1 hand hold, in 1hour 45minutes
    Bull size is 11mm diameter, more details on Issf home page

And here is the link of ISSF http://www.issf-sports.org/default.a...l&pmlinkid=101

The air pistol that has won most medals the last years is the Steyr LP10
    I 'm a happy owner of an LP10 No medals though