Thread: Webley Senior Pistol

Webley Senior Pistol

Hi,
    due to my having some time off work Ive been reading lots of threads, went upstairs and dug out an old Webley pistol. Marked "The Webley Senior" number S16811. It still fires-appears to be strong! The grips are bakelite brown, most of the bluing is gone and rust is appearing but it looks reversable...
    As none of us have any idea where this came from (or when) Id like to know if its worth anything so that I can claim it as mine!

Webley Senior

This sounds like a pre-War slant grip Senior, which used Serial Numbers up to 1939. Around 12000 were made from 1935 to 1939, so this is probably dated 1937ish. These are collectable guns, but hard to value without photos. My guess would be around £100, but see what more knowledgeable collectors say.

Ian
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Thanks for that! Am I happy! Claimed it....I can supply photos to anyone interested. I must complement you on your knowledge by the way, I looked in the blue book but they all look the same to me!

here is a pic which shows the condition...hope Ive done it right
    http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...umbria1/p1.jpg

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    If I'm not mistaken thats a nickel plated version, or is it just very worn? Did Webley nickel plate pre-war Seniors?

I think its just very worn, there is some blueing left around the trigger guard and rear sight. My mate has a similar one that he uses to scare birds with....I will be getting it later this week.

Webley Senior

This model could be supplied nickel-plated if you could afford the extra five shillings If you were seriously rich, you could get it chromium-plated for seven and six. You youngsters on here can work out for yourselves what this is in New money.

Ian

I can safely assume that this pistol was not bought by one of my ancestors then! Either far too poor or too tight! 7shillings...35p?

Webley Senior

The Senior cost 45 shillings in the late thirties ie £2-25p. This was probably a weeks wage in those days and equivalent to maybe £250 today, so they were a definite luxury item. If they were still made today to the same standard, nobody would be able to afford one.
    Last edited by webman; 18-12-2008 at 10:06 PM.

If I put it up for sale what would be a fair come bargain price?

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    In this condition I would have thought £70-80