Thread: Hi there, first Air Pistol?

Hi there, first Air Pistol?

Hi there =)

Just to say hello, my names Ben and I'm from Leicester =D

I'm new to the world of Air Pistols, and am looking for a decent started model. I had this one in mind: http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/item/399/ (Baikal Makarov MP-654K).

Any opinions on this perticular model, or could you reccomend any better?

Thanks,

Ben

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    BB pistols are fun plinkers, Ben, but not accurate enough for competition, even "fun" comps like our Umarex Boys Club (you MUST join!) runs here.

Many like the HW 40. I have the "sold in America" version of it, and it is accurate and has great sights and trigger, but is too lightweight (about 28 ounces) for me to hold it steady.

For Co2's, probably the best is the Umarex Smith 586 / 686. I love mine! It's great for police comps and double action shooting. It doesn't have a great single action trigger, and at about 44 ounces is too heavy for me for single hand shooting, but is perfect with two hands!

Some like the HW 70, a springer.

Are you most interested in informal comps? Knocking over tin cans in your backyard? Formal 10 meter competition? Is power a consideration? Do you want it to look like a cartridge pistol? NOT look like a cartridge pistol?

Air pistols really run the gamut, from kid's toys to precision shooting instruments costing thousands of dollars or pounds, and use of them runs the gamut too, from plinking to an Olympic sport.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Ben if i were you i would save up the extra cash and go for an HW45 or keep your eyes peeled for a decent second hand one on this site. You will have something then that will last you years and i would say that if you did buy a cheaper model it would only be a matter of time before you wanted to upgrade anyway. I also think that you would be better off with a spring powered pistol such as the HW45 because you will save alot of money not having to buy CO2 powerlets on a frequent basis. You will get through powerlets alot quicker than you think and they are not cheap, and remember most manufacturers recommend you do not leave these in the gun when it is not in use so if you fancy a quick few shots its more money wasted. Hope this helps.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Hi Ben,
    welcome to the club..

Spring - Baikal 53M & a Gamo Falcon , great value , £40-£50 ish each.

Co2 - Benjamin EB22. About £75-£115 ish. Quite accurate, LOUD and fun.

Gamo R77 revolver - Classic revolver design with a "real" revolving full cylinder (not like them there S&W crap looking one's), £40-£65 ish. look for a 6" barrel.

Got a PPK/S, £50-£70 ish. A great laugh, blowback, smooth bore so not really suitable for Target stuff.

The MP654 is a beautiful looking thing, bit more accurate then the PPK, rifled bore. Uses the real pistol frame. £70-£100 ish.

SSP (single stroke pneumatic) - Gamo Compact. Cracking starter target pistol. £85-£100 ish. Love mine, doubt you'll ever really become too good for this. Look at the UBC scoresheet to see where they come in the SSP section below.

http://www.ubc.btik.com/documents/2227465056.ikml

It's all really about personnal choice, I don't like the modern shape pistols, The only one of them I would look at is the CP88 or Colt 1911. BUT, they are accurate. springers are harder to learn to shoot with, but far more rewarding than the others.

Don't bother buying new mate, there are so many available on here, usually look at paying about 2/3rds the new price for a good condition used.

Hope I haven't confused you too much

atb
    Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357