Thread: Law regarding blank firers

Law regarding blank firers

Anyone got any links to the regulations for owning blank firers? Was just browsing online and a lot are now bright orange and the ones that arent are only for theatre productions and require proof/certification for purchase.

What is the situ regarding models you already one?

Cheers
    Simon
    Beretta 692 30" Sporter L/H Adjustable Stock
    Crooked Barn 2240 .22

blank firers

Hi Simon
    There are restrictions BUT if the the blank firer is based on a pre 1873 (I think) design there are no restrictions. I have seen Colt Navies blank firers on sale quite openly at antique fairs.
    Evan (Merry Xmas)

It's based on the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, which is doing nothing to reduce violent crime. It basically makes it illegal to purchase, manufacture or import a realistic imitation firearm (RIF). Any firearm is included, "...other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and
    mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870," as are imitation firearms under the 'unrealistic' dimensions, and/or with the majority (>51%) in an 'unrealistic' colour, which currently includes bright red, bright green, bright orange etc. (I hope they don't learn about Duracote...)

Exempted people (those that can buy/manufacture/import RIFs) are museum/gallery representatives, TV/film/theatrical prop masters, historical re-enactors, oh and of course those working for Her Majesty. Registered Airsoft skirmishers have a specific defence too.

So if a "mate" happened to still have a Beretta 92F 8mm blank firer purchased some 10 or so years ago would he have to hand it in?

Cheers
    Simon
    Beretta 692 30" Sporter L/H Adjustable Stock
    Crooked Barn 2240 .22

This is another example of a completely pointless law that has no effect on the problem. When it was tried in the Netherlands the police found that criminals painted their real guns yellow and orange. Their thinking being that no policeman would shoot someone with a replica. In addition how much does a small tin of paint cost? Many bright orange softair guns are sold in model or toy shops that sell the perfect tin of Humbrol to change the colour to something more realistic.
    Last edited by Napoleon IV; 27-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
    So if a "mate" happened to still have a Beretta 92F 8mm blank firer purchased some 10 or so years ago would he have to hand it in?

Cheers
    Simon
    I believe they are still legal to own, just very hard to sell on (as I have found )

That is reassuring. I have a "mate" who has exactly the same issue. I think it'll just stay in the bottom of "his" gunsafe.