Thread: Paunch then skin, or skin then paunch?

Paunch then skin, or skin then paunch?

Usually I have been skinning then paunching, but on todays bunny (and I have had a total of five, so I'm still really new to the game) I paunched then skinned. I find it a lot harder to skin the beast after paunching coz it's all soggy and floppy.

I am also starting to think it might be easier to skin the animal (before or after paunching) by hanging it by the back legs rather than by lying it flat on a board.

Any tips anyone?

D
    IT IS THE CALIBRE OF THE MAN WHICH IS IMPORTANT - NOT THE CALIBRE OF THE RIFLE.

draftsmann Guest
    I agree, and I paunch after skinning too, and just empty the bladder immediately after shooting. My skinning technique is also very fast and easy - it does result in the skin ripped in two but assuming you aren't curing it to make a Davey Crockett hat that isn't a problem. Try a search; I've posted before how I do it.

Adrian

Donkeygiblets Guest
    Hi Puff

There is such a thing called a 'gambrel' which you can hang from a piece of string and the hind legs of the rabbit go through the holes and then slide down some slits holding it in place. It makes skinning easier.

Also if don't plan on keeping the skin why not try another way of getting it off? Cut through the skin in the middle of its back and follow it round a couple of inches down both sides, then grab the skin on each side of the cut on its back and pull one hand to the tail and the other to its head. The skin will come off quite easily.

Hope this helps

Steve

draftsmann Guest
    That is exactly how I do it Steve. My Dad showed me that technique when I was about 8 & I have skinned rabbits that way ever since.

Adrian

Donkeygiblets Guest
    Yep it works for me, I've tried to tan a skin and getting all the goo scraped off the inside is a nightmare so I don't bother now.

Steve

Steve, draughtsman, thanx.

Now, when I cut th skin along the back am I cutting along the spine then peeling a few inches down the ribs before grabbing and pulling, or am I slitting it parralel with the ribs, then grabbing and pulling apart like forcing a zipper?
    David
    IT IS THE CALIBRE OF THE MAN WHICH IS IMPORTANT - NOT THE CALIBRE OF THE RIFLE.

A pictorial reply would be better.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

draftsmann Guest
    Originally posted by Puff O'Wind
    Steve, draughtsman, thanx.

Now, when I cut th skin along the back am I cutting along the spine then peeling a few inches down the ribs before grabbing and pulling, or am I slitting it parralel with the ribs, then grabbing and pulling apart like forcing a zipper?
    David
    All you do is pinch the skin in the middle of the rabbit's back, then insert the point of a sharp knife to break the skin. You should then be able to insert first one, then two fingers. Then insert the fore- or middle finger of each hand, curled away from each other, and pull simultaneously towards head and feet. The skin tears easily even on big buck rabbits, and hares come to that.

Davestate, I'll give you pictures

Adrian

draftsmann Guest
    That is the slow and painstaking "textbook" method Mr Shootist. I don't recommend it

Adrian

I don't have access to somewhere I could "hang" a rabbit, so all mine's done on the kitchen draining board

I always paunch in the field for the same reason, using the "slit and flick" technique - minimal mess, and no sticky stuff in the wheelie bin

On the board, I use a pair of gardener's secateurs (sp?) to remove head, feet and tail with easy, crunchy snips.

Then it's through the centre of the skin on the back with the knife, fingers in and the "pull towards head and tail" method described above.

Bunny in sink, remove heart/lungs, keep liver & kidneys.

Then, using snippers, remove the "stink bone" gland under the tail area - two snips to form a triangle do the trick - and poke a finger through to clear anus of maltesers & pipework.

Soak for a bit in salted water, then either joint the meat if I've got time, or if it's late on I separate it into two bits below the ribcage.

Turn them round so the rear legs slot into the chest cavity, put the "round" parcel into a food bag then freeze I find this minimises the number of holes poked into the bags by sharp bones.

And that's it done!

If possible I use a set of rubber surgcical gloves too, as the smell really sticks to your fingers

HTH,

Dan

Another option is to shoot the rabbit with a really frangible projectile travelling at a stupidly fast speed.

You can then wander up and pick the choicest cuts of meat from where they are laying on the grass or hanging from the nearby bush

Mark

Sorry if I have added a childish reply to what was a serious thread but I'm feeling juvenile this afternoon.
    My karma ran over your dogma

kirky Guest
    I have always cut the head off,cut the feet off,cut the skin from neck to tail along the chest and stomach,cut out along each of the four legs and pull the whole skin clean off and then gut it and then give it to the dog or ferrets.If I can`t be bothered doing all that I just throw the carcass straight from the field to the ferrets.
    Dave.
    But I always skin then paunch.