Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet owners help please

Darren Petts Guest

Hornet owners help please

Until last weekend my Hornet has been extremeley accurate. I'm now getting flyers on Daystates which haven't been there before. After a thorough clean of the barrel I'm still getting them. Next weekend I'll be trying silencer on/off tests to find the cause but I've just noticed the factory adapter for the silencer can be wagged quite easily at the breech end (not much but noticeable)(equates to 2mm movement at end of Ripley FAC silencer) and there's the beginings of a mark on the silencer exit at 9 o'clock looking at the muzzle. The movement is mainly horizontal though some vertical is possible (my flyers are mainly horizontal too. This adapter (on my early model) has one grub screw to locate it. I've not noticed this free play before and would like to ask Hornet owners if they've got any movement in this piece.

The Golden Shot Guest
    darren there's no free play on my end m8ty it should be tight as a nuns grip on the collection plate

draftsmann Guest
    Originally posted by The Golden Shot
    there's no free play on my end
    Very pleased to hear that Steve

Adrian

Darren Petts Guest
    Lots of spare room around the barrel to adapter fit on mine and I take the silencer on and off each time I use it so it needs to be pukka. Not sure if the adapter may just have worn slightly more oval with each use or if the grub screw isn't holding the barrel any more. It's only very thin alloy and the gun has seen a great deal of use. I feel a threaded barrel coming on.

The Golden Shot Guest
    To be honest Darren I don’t take mine off some people do but I don’t I like the extra six inches that it gives me plus i cant be arsed with all the twidlin

As the patient said to the doctor "can I keep the swelling without the pain please"

Adrian never had any free play m8 if you have your doing sumut wrong lol

Darren Petts Guest
    Mine doesn't fit my bag without the twiddling. GDF 50 incher at that!

The Golden Shot Guest
    oh big boy lol

Gazo Guest
    Darren mine is solid its fitted with one grub screw and also loctited on.
    Seems like thats your problem.

HTH

Gary

Darren Petts Guest
    Thanks. I'll try it next Saturday without the adapter. If all's well it'll be off for a screwcut end.

hi guys check your barrel fixing screws as mine on several occasions have worked loose with the result of a very accurate gun losing its accuresy

maxis500 Guest
    I've had similar problems with mine which were traced to the barrel grub screws loosening. Strangely, tightening and loctiting them didn't help and after a phone call to BSA they offered to take it back to the factory to have the barrel re-set (what ever that means), which cured the problem.

However this problem manifested itself more as vertical stringing and a general loss of the (normally excellent) accuracy. In tracing the problem I too fiddled with silencer and adapter, coming to the conclusion along they way that there was free play in the adaptor and that it was a pretty poor overall design. A barrel screwcut may well therefore be in my Hornets future as it has previously been discussed here and others (Hardrar) have done it.

Darren your problem is that Little Steve,Stumpy,Umpa Lumpa AKA Golden shot thought your gun was a shorties climbing frame and broke your Hornet

Pete

Darren Petts Guest
    No movement twix barrel and breech.

I was concerned though about that threat of a hacksaw at Quarry. When I told the gun about the intended assault it just went to pot.

The Golden Shot Guest
    cheer's chaps and pete AKA stumpy umpa lumpai did ask you darren where it was didn't i I'm shorty umpa lumpa pete get it rite for heavens sake lol

teco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Petts
    Until last weekend my Hornet has been extremeley accurate. I'm now getting flyers on Daystates which haven't been there before. After a thorough clean of the barrel I'm still getting them. Next weekend I'll be trying silencer on/off tests to find the cause but I've just noticed the factory adapter for the silencer can be wagged quite easily at the breech end (not much but noticeable)(equates to 2mm movement at end of Ripley FAC silencer) and there's the beginings of a mark on the silencer exit at 9 o'clock looking at the muzzle. The movement is mainly horizontal though some vertical is possible (my flyers are mainly horizontal too. This adapter (on my early model) has one grub screw to locate it. I've not noticed this free play before and would like to ask Hornet owners if they've got any movement in this piece.
    its yuor silencer mate, i had the same sort off thing.