Thread: Gamo pistol questions.

VictorLouis Guest

Gamo pistol questions.

First of all, I'm sorry if I'm exasperating you fellows! Please let me know if I am in danger of wearing out my welcome, as I won't be offended.

Now then is the Gamo Compact,
    http://www.a-shield.ru/Catalog_oruzh...mo_Compact.htm

the same pistol as this PR-45,
    http://www.a-shield.ru/Catalog_oruzh...Gamo_PR-45.htm

merely with the addition of target grips?

Or, are there a few other features to differentiating them?

What's different about this one? I sure like the fact that it looks a bit more compact!

PR-15
    http://www.a-shield.ru/Catalog_oruzh...Gamo_PR-15.htm

I don't necessarily know if the two latter guns are available in your market, but I figured that you would be better aware of them.

DJP Guest
    Yeah, the Compact's basically the same as the PR45 but also has an adjustable trigger blade as well as the target grips. You can't adjust the weight of the trigger but you can alter the angle of the blade.

Good pistols - I sold one but missed it too much and had to buy another!

HTH.

VictorLouis Guest
    Thanks DJP, for the clarification on the PR. I've handled, though not dry-fired, the Compact. I found the grips to be just large enough to make the fit less than ideal. The PR's grip seems a great deal less bulky, possibly even to the other point of the extreme. That's a much easier fix, such as with a slip-on, then hogging down the wood to suit.

I was just leafing through an issue of AGW and saw Gamo's half-page pistol advert. I don't see the PR-15 listed. Apparently, the AF-10 was recalled in our country due to ONE report of a mechanical AD.

I'm going to phone the importer tomorrow to see if either the 45 or the 15 are even available here(and I suspect not).

VictorLouis Guest

Unhappy

Rep phoned back to say he'd never even heard of those two models. They must be for Europe only.

perhaps you ought to consider the beeman P1/P3 (Stateside versions of the HW45 and HW40 respectively) if that's the sort of pistol you're seeking, more expensive perhaps but certainly better engineered that their spanish made counterparts...

Not sure what purpose you want the Gamos for VL but you might be dissapointed if you did order one. They are very low powered, sometimes not even having enough power to cut a paper target cleanly (the pellets tend to rotate in flight) and the trigger can be harsh. The compact has a better trigger and I've heard it said that the PR45's are the rejected units from the compacts. If all you want to do is shot 10m paper then they fit the bill as a low entry match pistol but unless you are very good you won't win many prizes with one.

Sorry if the added info is not what you wanted to hear but for a similar type pistol the HW40PCA is by far a better gun.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

DJP Guest
    That's interesting and you make some good points, but I'm not sure I completely agree. I currently own a Compact and an HW40 and there's not that much between them in terms of quality or power.

My HW40 shoots Hobbys at around 390fps (which is consistent with figures I've seen from other tests) and the Compact does around 360fps with the same pellets.

Both pistols are very similar in general build quality and accuracy. Two-handed I can get cloverleaf groups at 6 yards with either, but one-handed the Compact wins every time.

As a general purpose pistol I think the HW40 is hard to beat - nice looking, powerful enough and very accurate. But where it falls down IMO is the grip: Fine for two-handed use but too slim and slippery for best accuracy one handed. (Pretty much what VL says about the PR45).

As a top plinking pistol I'd recommend the HW40, but if you're looking for an introduction to formal target shooting then I'd say get the Compact.
    Last edited by DJP; 07-07-2004 at 12:53 AM.

VictorLouis Guest

Yes, backyard paper target would be the main usage. Of course, it will be taken to a proper range from time to time when I take my firearms out. Some plinking in the desert, maybe. That sort of thing.

I find that I'm most attracted to the pistols that best resemble cartridge handguns. The Webley springers, the P3, and that Gamo. The Izzie 43 is awesome, but it is clearly a unique gun of the free-pistol persuasion.

I did have a chance to dry-fire the P3 the other evening. Someone had left it cocked, and the clerk merely put it back in the dislplay. I couldn't open the action, so I knew from reading on the net that it must be cocked. Soooo, I flipped the safety, played dumb, aimed against a suitable backstop(JUST in case), and PFFFFfft. NOW, I see what the nice comments on the trigger are all about.

DJP, would you say the Gamo is at least comparable to the P3/HW40? I'm guess-timating it was near a 1lb. release. Already, I could see a P3 in my future, but that Compact may also prove to be a worthy partner to it in the safe.

Have you considered the Weihrauch HW45? This is an excellent pistol. Spring powered, over-lever like the Webley but with qite a bit more power. Good fully adjustable open sights. I would think its just what your looking for. I think Beeman give it a different name in the States.

Cheers,
    Andy.

PS- Ok, I see someone has already suggested this- dogh!
    Last edited by Andy W; 07-07-2004 at 07:26 AM.

VictorLouis Guest
    No, the Beeman P1..as it's called.. is rather cumbersome looking, although it's obviously a nice pistol. I'd go with a cheaper Webley if I wanted a tradiontal spring pistol. The pneumatics seem to be the best bet right now.

VictorLouis Guest
    Hello chaps!

I've since had the opportunity to shoot several examples of the Marksman 2004 clone of the Beeman P3. Say what you will, they got the trigger spot-on, as it feels exactly the same. I bought one, since they only run about 20 Pounds cost over here in the discount stores! While I don't care for the cocking effort, there's no denying that it is a user-friendly pistol. I do hope you fellows can get these soon, if you haven't already.

I also happened upon a used Compact, after trying out a couple new examples. I must say, while the P3(& clone) has a better trigger...as in lighter/shorter...I like the Gamo better. It loads easier, as the chamber is just slightly easier to access to insert the pellet. The cocking effort is also much easier. This makes it nicer for longer plinking sessions. I can see where the target grips will need a bit of tweaking for MY hand, but I'd say they're at least 90+% there already. Curiously, this gun does not seem to have the adjustable rear notch they seem to advertise. Perhaps it's been dropped from the latest production pistols. (?) No matter though, as it's about perfect to my eye.

So far, I've only been shooting at around 7yds indoors. Two-handed, either pistol can do a ragged hole, and that's with cheap fodder I'm going to use up in them. I've no concern about spring stress in the pneumatic system, so no battering can occur. Once I get into a good feel for each one, then I'll work out their favored pellets.

While mods for the 2004 and P3 abound on the net, there seems to be scarce info on the Compact. I've had the innards apart, as it's pretty simple. I'm wondering if any Compact owners have developed some mods, like spring swaps or tweaks, to lighten up the pull?

PV is offline I'll get to 1000 if it kills me..

PR15 was available in the UK

I have one. It is a smooth bore 15 shot lead ball repeater. Mine is on it's 3rd pneumatic cylinder as the first two leaked air when being cocked but this latest one has lasted years. It is low powered (about 1 ftlb). Was superceded b the AF10, a rifled 10 shot lead ball or single shot pellet pistol.

Paul