Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
Its the sum of the parts that makes the gun. All the frames are the same. There is nothing diffrent between a medium and large frame and the frame of an LBR. The diffrence is if it was imported with the shorter barrel on. If It was in the eyes of the law it couldnt be anything other than section 5 as Taurus themselves dont do BP pistols. However if it was just a frame and was built on and registerd as a black powder pistol I see no issuse.

It has been pointed out on this forum before by RFD's that the parts themselves are not classed. If they were it would make doing repairs on LBR's nigh on impossible.

Ps Jim..... Dont I know It that federal law classes Grips as Gun parts I wanted a set of Hogue Square Butt Checkered Coco Bolo . However the limit on gunparts export without an export liscence from the state department is $100 and when I looked the grips were $108. Looks like I will have to get them when Im over later this year then

I always though the federal laws on gun parts were confusing. I never quite understood why If a ruger 10/22 reciver was registerd as a rifle you couldnt use it as a ruger charger. Then there was that whole SBR tax and a tax on Silencers. Same with Ar15 uppers for AR pistols. Is a mine field of gun laws and it seems to be diffrent in every state.

Chris, it's hard to believe that there isn't some gun parts dealer in the US who can ship these grips to you!

If not, and if can get payment to me, I'd be glad to get them and ship them to you: as a "gift", there shouldn't be any problem.

Silencers? Well, they're not just a gun part in the US, but are highly restricted, like a machine gun!

Pistol / rifle barrels here are unrestricted. However, if you put, say, a 12 inch pistol barrel on a rifle, you'd have another highly restricted weapon on your hands (literally). Rifles with barrels under 16 inches, shotguns with barrels under 18 inches, rifles or shotguns or rifle /shotgun combinations under 26 inches overall, are likewise restricted like machine guns.

A difference is that the silencer itself is restricted. The shorter barrel isn't, unless / until you stick it on the rifle.

Jim