Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: January Police Pistol Competition Thread AND Side Match!

Unhappy Still poorly bad

Sorry to let the gang down but i'm still under the weather.
    Thought I was over it Wed/Thurs then thursday evening it hit again like a ton of bricks. Seems to be the pattern everyone else here is experiencing.
    I backed a rake of targets this morning but have spent the rest of the day laid out. Was quite looking forward to the side shoot too.
    Well you'll have to mark me down a 'bye' for this month Cap'n!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei Gizmo View Post
    so jim when do we find out how well we didont do

All will be revealed tomorrow, Sensei.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    have recently put a 2/32 pistol scope on my new HW40 well back on the rail,
    with air rifle twin screw mounts to spread the load, it works a treat and is now deadly out to 15 yards,
    If I do keep my Beeman, it will be with a scope added.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbet View Post
    Sorry to let the gang down but i'm still under the weather.
    Thought I was over it Wed/Thurs then thursday evening it hit again like a ton of bricks. Seems to be the pattern everyone else here is experiencing.
    I backed a rake of targets this morning but have spent the rest of the day laid out. Was quite looking forward to the side shoot too.
    Well you'll have to mark me down a 'bye' for this month Cap'n!

Don't you wory, Crabbet: just concentrate on getting well. This comp will be around for a long time to come: we're all going to miss months.

Jim

January scores, here they are!

OK, mates, 'tis midnight everywere in the world, the competition is closed, the results are in and tallied, and HERE are the results:

This month we had 12 entrants in the Main Shoot, which I consider really good, considering the weather most of our competitors have been living with. Only 4 Side Shooters, though: I guess having braved the cold long enough for the main shoot, everyone had enough sense to head back inside and stay there!

For the Main match: winner of the coveted Wooden Spoon was PHANTOM SNIPER / TONY, with a score of 214, which I consider great: as sick as Tony's been, he deserves a big round of applause just for having the pluck to take pistol in hand and go outside and shoot.

Tony used his Crosman .357-6, iron sights, and D&N Geco pellets.

Next came JAN McARTHUR, with a 230. Jan also used a Crosman .357-6, with iron sights, and Daisy Precision Max pellets.

Then we have SENSEI GIZMO, shooting a 245, using a CP 88 and PPP 1 pellets. Gizmo didn't mention his sights, so I'm going to assume iron: GIZMO, if this is not so, please let me know.

SWIFTNBOLD got off a 249 with his S&W - 6 - love that pistol! - with iron sights, and using RWS Hobby pellets.

Then comes HYSCORE, with a high score of 264. Hyscore's pistol of choice was one of those notorious Brocock's: an Orion .22 TAC, iron sights. Hyscore's another RWS Hobby pellet man.

TIED with Hyscore at 264 is MIKE145, who was the first shooter to report in this month. Mike used Reck Police, iron sights, and Bisley Practice pellets.

Moving up a notch, we find GAVINMOGGY at 266: Beretta 92 FS, iron sights, Hobby pellets.

Closer still to that place where the air is rare is 38THFOOT/TONY, firing a score of 271. Tony also used a Beretta 92 F, Hobby pellets, and iron sights: so that must be a pretty good combination, yes?

AND NOW: we're getting up there to the TOP 3! Funny thing, though, this month the top 3 really are top 4.

SHARING the Bronze position: MICHEALB, with a score 272. Mike used a Walther Nighthawk, and Mike's an optical sight man: Walther red dot, and those RWS Hobby pellets once again.

Don't ask me how I pulled this off: but somehow JIM MCARTHUR managed to tie for the Bronze! Jim used his tried and true Smith - 6, iron sights, but this month switched to the cheaper Daisy Precision Max pellets.

SILVER overall goes to PHILG! Phil shot a 276 with his Smith - 8, with optical sights (Quick-Point red dot) and Crosman Match pellets. Phil managed such a great score despite some initial mechanical problems with his pistol.

AND, since Phil didn't win this month, you can probably figure out who did! Yep! None other than our illustrious founder, fearless leader, and all-around resident good guy, COOKIEDUDE/JASON! Cookie used his CP 99 with laser sights and H&N Match pellets to rack up the winning score this month of 278.

Now.....breaking all this down to categories...I'll go with OPTICAL first, since it (as always) has fewer participants - but, mates, note how 3 of the top 4 scores were achieved with optical sights? That's why I decided to separate categories for iron and optical.

Anyway: Da Champ in the Optical category is COOKIE, with PHILG second, and MICHAEL B third. These three were the only optical shooters this month.

In the more traditional IRON sight category: meself, JIM McARTHUR, somehow managed to take the Gold! !

38THFOOT / TONY took Silver, with

GAVINMOGGY taking Bronze.

So, that's it for the Main Match: on to the side shoot!

Yea verily, the Lord never giveth but he also taketh away: so lest me old bald head get swelled, JIM McARTHUR took the Wooden Spoon, with a score of 55. (Don't worry, Jim: gives you lots of room for improvement! )

Next up (and Bronze) comes MIKE145, with a score of 61.

Side Silver falls to SENSEIGIZMO's 62.

AND finally, I'm proud to say that January's Side Match Gold Medalist is none other than my own beloved JAN MCARTHUR: way up there all by herself with a whopping score of 69!

So there you have it for the January Police Pistol Matches, Main and Side.

Hang in there, don't get discouraged if you didn't do as well as you think you could have, nor get overconfident if you did better than usual. If we all keep shooting, we'll all keep improving. February will be here before you know it!

Congratulations to all who braved the wintry weather to compete this month. And please, talk up ALL of our great UBC postal shoots with your friends and fellow shooters!

Proud to be your Manager,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 19-01-2009 at 08:03 PM.

[COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for getting the scores together Jim, your efforts are very much appreciated by everyone.

Well done Jason for a good score, I think we all suffered from cold CO2 this month.

There's a few more cards to shoot before the end of the comp and I'm sure we'll all show improvement as the weather gets milder.

Thanks again Jim

Good luck, Phil /COLOR]

Gold Medalist is none other than my own beloved JAN MCARTHUR:

Better watch ourselves Jim, Someones racing up the outside

Well done with your score also and to all that took part. Thanks for putting the score together so quickly.

Regards

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for getting the scores together Jim, your efforts are very much appreciated by everyone.

Well done Jason for a good score, I think we all suffered from cold CO2 this month.

There's a few more cards to shoot before the end of the comp and I'm sure we'll all show improvement as the weather gets milder.

Thanks again Jim

Good luck, Phil /COLOR]
    Thanks, Phil: my pleasure!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mike145 View Post
    Gold Medalist is none other than my own beloved JAN MCARTHUR:

Better watch ourselves Jim, Someones racing up the outside

Well done with your score also and to all that took part. Thanks for putting the score together so quickly.

Regards

mike
    Yep! If Jan practiced more, there'd be no keeping her from the top.

Jim

sorry jim was my first time it was a lazer dot and open and more luck than anything

well i no for next time lol

wow i got a silver im very happy with that and cookie got gold

i must say he is my bro and all so im not just saying this but he nose his stuff

i was shooting with him at the club sat and man has he got a steady hand and a good eye

he took my cp88 took 1 shoot and told me how far out the sites were and then put 7 in the black at 10 yards

that boy can shoot . big time ok bro your little bro ant to shabby ! im a comeing

and thanks jim for your time sorting all this out

nice to no im part of such a good team

liam
    Last edited by Sensei Gizmo; 19-01-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    U.B.C Member - Beeman P3 - crosman nightstalker - walther underlever

sorry jim was my first time it was a lazer dot and open and more luck than anything

i must say he is my bro and all so im not just saying this but he nose his stuff

i was shooting with him at the club sat and man has he got a steady hand and a good eye

he took my cp88 took 1 shoot and told me how far out the sites were and then put 7 in the black at 10 yards

that boy can shoot . big time ok bro your little bro ant to shabby ! im a comeing

liam
    OK, so we move Sensei Gizmo to the Optical sights category.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    OK, mates, 'tis midnight everywere in the world, the competition is closed, the results are in and tallied, and HERE are the results:

This month we had 12 entrants in the Main Shoot, which I consider really good, considering the weather most of our competitors have been living with. Only 4 Side Shooters, though: I guess having braved the cold long enough for the main shoot, everyone had enough sense to head back inside and stay there!

For the Main match: winner of the coveted Wooden Spoon was PHANTOM SNIPER / TONY, with a score of 214, which I consider great: as sick as Tony's been, he deserves a big round of applause just for having the pluck to take pistol in hand and go outside and shoot.

Tony used his Crosman .357-6, iron sights, and D&N Geco pellets.

Next came JAN McARTHUR, with a 230. Jan also used a Crosman .357-6, with iron sights, and Daisy Precision Max pellets.

Then we have SENSEI GIZMO, shooting a 245, using a CP 88 and PPP 1 pellets. Gizmo didn't mention his sights, so I'm going to assume iron: GIZMO, if this is not so, please let me know.

SWIFTNBOLD got off a 249 with his S&W - 6 - love that pistol! - with iron sights, and using RWS Hobby pellets.

Then comes HYSCORE, with a high score of 264. Hyscore's pistol of choice was one of those notorious Brocock's: an Orion .22 TAC, iron sights. Hyscore's another RWS Hobby pellet man.

TIED with Hyscore at 264 is MIKE145, who was the first shooter to report in this month. Mike used Reck Police, iron sights, and Bisley Practice pellets.

Moving up a notch, we find GAVINMOGGY at 266: Beretta 92 FS, iron sights, Hobby pellets.

Closer still to that place where the air is rare is 38THFOOT/TONY, firing a score of 271. Tony also used a Beretta 92 F, Hobby pellets, and iron sights: so that must be a pretty good combination, yes?

AND NOW: we're getting up there to the TOP 3! Funny thing, though, this month the top 3 really are top 4.

SHARING the Bronze position: MICHEALB, with a score 272. Mike used a Walther Nighthawk, and Mike's an optical sight man: Walther red dot, and those RWS Hobby pellets once again.

Don't ask me how I pulled this off: but somehow JIM MCARTHUR managed to tie for the Bronze! Jim used his tried and true Smith - 6, iron sights, but this month switched to the cheaper Daisy Precision Max pellets.

SILVER overall goes to PHILG! Phil shot a 276 with his Smith - 8, with optical sights (Quick-Point red dot) and Crosman Match pellets. Phil managed such a great score despite some initial mechanical problems with his pistol.

AND, since Phil didn't win this month, you can probably figure out who did! Yep! None other than our illustrious founder, fearless leader, and all-around resident good guy, COOKIEDUDE/JASON! Cookie used his CP 99 with laser sights and H&N Match pellets to rack up the winning score this month of 278.

Now.....breaking all this down to categories...I'll go with OPTICAL first, since it (as always) has fewer participants - but, mates, note how 3 of the top 4 scores were achieved with optical sights? That's why I decided to separate categories for iron and optical.

Anyway: Da Champ in the Optical category is COOKIE, with PHILG second, and MICHAEL B third. These three were the only optical shooters this month.

In the more traditional IRON sight category: meself, JIM McARTHUR, somehow managed to take the Gold! !

38THFOOT / TONY took Silver, with

GAVINMOGGY taking Bronze.

So, that's it for the Main Match: on to the side shoot!

Yea verily, the Lord never giveth but he also taketh away: so lest me old bald head get swelled, JIM McARTHUR took the Wooden Spoon, with a score of 55. (Don't worry, Jim: gives you lots of room for improvement! )

Next up (and Bronze) comes MIKE145, with a score of 61.

Side Silver falls to SENSEIGIZMO's 62.

AND finally, I'm proud to say that January's Side Match Gold Medalist is none other than my own beloved JAN MCARTHUR: way up there all by herself with a whopping score of 69!

So there you have it for the January Police Pistol Matches, Main and Side.

Hang in there, don't get discouraged if you didn't do as well as you think you could have, nor get overconfident if you did better than usual. If we all keep shooting, we'll all keep improving. February will be here before you know it!

Congratulations to all who braved the wintry weather to compete this month. And please, talk up ALL of our great UBC postal shoots with your friends and fellow shooters!

Proud to be your Manager,

Jim

Sensei Gizmo moves to the Optical category, as per his message above.

Jim

liam

You're very welcome, Liam, and you surely couldn't have a better coach than Cookie.

Yes, the UBC's a great bunch, and we're glad to have you aboard.

Jim

Thanks for collating & posting the scores Jim - even if 9th out of 12 shows a lot more practise required As I said this breeds a whole new life into why I keep the Smith & Wesson - so no excuse to sling lead!!

As I'll be spending lots of time practising - what do you folks print your target onto. I used photo paper for this contest, standard copier paper is useless, really need something like 300gsm card.... now cheap printers - I know a few of them

Would it be infringing anyones copyright if I sent the target to a commercial printer?

Anyone else interested in getting some proper card targets made?

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnbold View Post
    Thanks for collating & posting the scores Jim - even if 9th out of 12 shows a lot more practise required As I said this breeds a whole new life into why I keep the Smith & Wesson - so no excuse to sling lead!!

As I'll be spending lots of time practising - what do you folks print your target onto. I used photo paper for this contest, standard copier paper is useless, really need something like 300gsm card.... now cheap printers - I know a few of them

Would it be infringing anyones copyright if I sent the target to a commercial printer?

Anyone else interested in getting some proper card targets made?
    Thanks, SNB! You have the right idea on practice: also on targets! I'd gladly chip in on getting a batch of proper targets printed, except that shipping costs to me in the States would be prohibitive.

You're right about copier paper targets being useless: I do use them, though I affix them to a stiff cardboard backing, which helps, but isn't ideal: especially since the target I affix the cardboard backing to is a spongy archery target.

Would you be violating copyright by copying them? Yes, if they're copyrighted - I don't know if they are. However, as a practical matter, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you started selling them, it wouldnt be worth the copyright holders' while to take any action, and he's not going to know who you are, anyway. However, the copyright violation would occur in the copying, NOT in the sale of the copies: that's a common misconception.

Jim