Aye, mates, that time is comin' around again when you can take out that trusty repeater and shoot out that bad bloke's black heart!

I'm talkin', of course, about the UBC's monthly Police Pistol Competition. The January round starts this coming Saturday, the 10th, and ends on midnight Sunday (as Sunday becomes Monday: your midnight or mine, whichever comes later), January 18.

Since we started this with an "open" competition - which is to say, iron and optical sights shooting in the same category - for October and November, and then switched to separate Iron and Optical categories begining in December, I'm going to leave the first two months as they are: then start the Leader Board commencing with the December scores.

######## AND ######## Starting in January, we're going to have Side Matches also!

The first one is going to involve the "Mozambique Drill", using our standard Bad Guy target.

You see, the Bad Guy this month is wearing body armour!

Your pistol is very powerful - if it looks like a revolver, it's a .357: if it looks like an autoloader, it's a .45 - so it has a lot of impact, but it will only stun him: it won't penetrate the body armour.

BUT, you'll first have to hit him with 2 quick body shots - "doubletaps" - to learn that. You see that he's stunned but that he doesn't go down, so you need to follow up with a quick shot to the head.

Because of his body armour, your body hits to the 10, 9, or 8 zone will count as the scoring circle shows (10, 9, or 8), but your 7's or less count as zero.

And for the head shot, a hit to the 10 ring in the head counts as such, but a hit anywhere else counts as zero.

So, your maximum score on the Bad Guy (hereinafter, BG) is 30.

But wait, he's not alone! There are 2 other BG's, and they both need to be taken out the same way.

So, the maximum total score is 90.

Because this is a Side Shoot and these will vary every time they're shot, there will be no Leader Board.

Also, this is an optional shoot, separate from the repetitive, regular monthly Police competition, and will require you to use separate targets and score them separately.

All pistols / sights etc. shoot in the same category.

Any questions?

Jim