Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polygon barrels for airguns

Quote Originally Posted by salvin View Post
    no...could be useful for short range ratting, very short range...something like the lenght of the stock. It wear a solid Ginb stock, perfect for smashing their heads
    HAHAHA lol good one...

Don't know about the 54's "problems" whatever the issues could be would be very easily fixable. Saying so, not "defending" my gun - it really is not one of my favourites and I did a lot of work on it internally to make it acceptable to my tastes. It does around 22 ft/lbs in .22 and likes Crosman Premier a lot. I only bought it because I had had enough of the 52 and I got a good trade in deal - as long as it was for a 54

I still have a monster muzzle weight for the 52, in my desperate attempt to make it shoot more accurately. It was in .177 and with lightweight pellets, loaded for fun, I would often get some going supersonic!!
    Last edited by air-tech; 08-01-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Need to add the gun was .177 not the muzzle weight ;-)
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I seem to remember Theoben were selling spare 90 barrels presumably with breech block a while ago.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    ...I still have a monster muzzle weight for the 52, in my desperate attempt to make it shoot more accurately. It was in .177 and with lightweight pellets, loaded for fun, I would often get some going supersonic!!

I dont belive to the effect of "muzzlestuffs" of any kind...never found real advantages using such things on springers.
    The 48/52 can be accurate only using the right pellet, choosing among:
    - HN Baracuda match;
    - JSB Exact Heavy;
    - CP Heavy (if you find the right die nbr).
    Need to check if your barrel like the 4.51 0r 4.52 more, the max velocity should be in the range 870-900.
    My 52 with a JM Monolith spring and some internal works shots JSBH @ 890-900 fps and prints 1-1,5" groups @ 50yds consistently.
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

Did you chrono it Salvin to check consistancy?
    FAC HW90's, expecially with lots of grease inside, are prone to burnt pistons..
    (seals). Might also check inertia weight, wether that's loose or not. Most don't work even when new..Makes it shoot a tad better.(less piston bounce).
    What pellets did you try sofar?
    I assume you knów you have to keep the stockbolts etc tight?
    ATB,
    yana

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    What, forgive my ignorance is a Polygon barrel .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    What, forgive my ignorance is a Polygon barrel .
    It's just like a monogon barrel, but has more "gon"

The best description would be that the rifling is "wavy" rather than sharply defined lands and grooves... and usually there are fewer, so the barrel looks Polygonal in cross-section.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Did you chrono it Salvin to check consistancy?
    FAC HW90's, expecially with lots of grease inside, are prone to burnt pistons..
    (seals). Might also check inertia weight, wether that's loose or not. Most don't work even when new..Makes it shoot a tad better.(less piston bounce).
    What pellets did you try sofar?
    I assume you knów you have to keep the stockbolts etc tight?
    checked everything, consistancy is like any other gas rams, best pellets are Diana magnum domed 19,75 (same as HN FTT)...only remain barrel and pellets.

My conclusion is that .25 pellets are not as good (in terms of quality) as the smaller, same for the barrel...
    Never seen a 25 springer (or gas ram) shoting really well at FAC levels (at least as well as a good 177 or 22 same power).
    I know that twist rate are similar for all calibers (1 turn in 450 mm more o less in LW barrels), may be in .25 the rate should be different..

Anyway in a couple of weeks Chambers will have some other 25 LW barrels with choke, I'll take one e try to install on my 90......
    Roberto

www.airguns.it