Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10m targets

6yd and 10m rifle is scored inwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    (How DO you get this BBS to show graphics?
    You need to host the image somewhere else & paste the link inside IMG tags...although it seems that it doesn't work in all of the forums on here (put one in collectors last night & it appeared as a text link only, no image)

On the 6yd pistol, .177 does indeed break both inner & outer lines. The 6yd target is actually slightly smaller than the scaled 10m, but as shown the difference is tiny.

Its the 6yd & 10m air rifle that confusles me as I can see no sense in the 6yd target at all....the 6yd rifle is a little larger than a full size 10m rifle target The only part that makes sense is that a scaled down 10m rifle black bull is very similar in size to the 6yd rifle black bull - although the points values are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I think you need to check . The 9 ring on a 10m and 6yd are the same size (or as near as damn it). And i'm not so sure the outer rings are much if any different.

Yep, 6yd scores are higher than 10m. I shoot both, and have done for over a year. My PB in 10m until recently was 276 ex 300, whereas my 6yd PB was 296. My partner in crime has twice put in possibles of 300 ex 300 at 6yd, but only crossed 290 ex 300 perhaps once or twice.

The 6yd target doesn't score outside of a 5.
    I've realised that I don't know what 6yd targets you're talking about. The ones I use are NSRA Air-8 (you can see a picture here: http://www.nsra.co.uk/Shop2/Shop_html/airgun.htm). These have a approx 30mm bull vs approx 55mm for a 10m target (i.e. proportionally sized).

NSRA also sell a strange Air 6/YP which appears to be the same size as a 10m target but with the black being 8-10 instead of 7-10. I asked in the shop what competitions this was for, but they didn't know.

I don't know what targets you're talking about that don't score lower than 5.

It sounds like you are using an oversize target at 6yd - which would account for your very much higher scores at this distance. And, incidentally, if your partner in crime can score 290/300 at 10m then they should probably put themselves forward for the Olympic squad because that's comfortably above an Olympic qualifying score. (and can I have some coaching please!)

U.

Quote Originally Posted by urban winter View Post
    And, incidentally, if your partner in crime can score 290/300 at 10m then they should probably put themselves forward for the Olympic squad because that's comfortably above an Olympic qualifying score. (and can I have some coaching please!)U.
    I wish. Qualifying score to be considered for inclusion in the GB squad is 594/600

S

I think those are the NRSA Air 7 6yd air rifle (not air pistol) targets that are also on the page that you linked to. They have five targets on a card with each target only going out to the 5 ring (I think).

The ones I use are NSRA Air-8
    They are pistol targets.

NSRA also sell a strange Air 6/YP
    they are also pistol targets ... but the yp might mean youth? dunno.

Air 7's. 6yd air rifle targets

It sounds like you are using an oversize target at 6yd - which would account for your very much higher scores at this distance. And, incidentally, if your partner in crime can score 290/300 at 10m then they should probably put themselves forward for the Olympic squad because that's comfortably above an Olympic qualifying score. (and can I have some coaching please!)
    No, the Air 7's are the correct 6 yd targets for 6yd air rifle.

You can see my scores on page 5 here for 10m rifle and page 6 for the 6yd rifle. But there's a big difference between a 290 ex 300 in a paper league, and a 580 in an ISSF competition shoulder to shoulder. I was quite happily shooting around 530 ex 600 last year in the league, yet at the British champs I crumbled under my own pressure and struggled to crack 500!

The paper league is about to start for the summer season. It's open to anyone at a club, so get stuck in... the more the merrier.

Footnote: I think Chris Tucker is the best able bodied shooter in the leagues. I believe the other two shooters above him are disabled in some way.

Aha. Rifle! I keep forgetting that some people shoot those long things. My comments re. Olympic selection refer to scores of 290/300 for pistol. Likewise all my comments re relative size of 6yd and 10yd targets refer to pistol targets.

I still don't understand what Target Bunny meant in the first place about not being able to scale targets.

U.
    Last edited by urban winter; 03-02-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Aha. Rifle! I keep forgetting that some people shoot those long things.
    Sorry, i forgot some only had short ones

Sorry to cause such a fuss , the Air 7 , 6 yard air rifle target was what I was after thanks to RobF for clarifying and Tom for his targets .

6 yard/10 metres

Hi Guys
    First Thanks RobF for the inward score clarification.
    Next up, Rifleman no need to say sorry. This is exactly what the BBS is for, Exchange of views and discusion so that everyone learns things.
    tom thumb. I think the 6 yard target came about with the indoor shooting centred around the bell targets. It's not too difficult to get 6 yards inside a large room so this became the standard distance but more than that you need to use a corridor or go outside. Take a look here, http://www.targetbunny.btik.com/p_Extra_2.ikml
    for an article on Bell targets. Shooting in a pub puts restrictions on space.
    I belive there is STILL a league in N Wales.
    Regards
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Aha. Rifle! I keep forgetting that some people shoot those long things. My comments re. Olympic selection refer to scores of 290/300 for pistol. Likewise all my comments re relative size of 6yd and 10yd targets refer to pistol targets.
    U.

appologies. 290/300 is way out there for pistol, and very very impressive. (quite frankly it's way out there for air rifle, and i'd be happy if I was scoring that prone with all the bondage gear)
    S