Thread: Cheap 10m shooting

Cheap 10m shooting

I would like to have a go at 10m competitive shooting. but don't have two grand to spend on an Anschutz. What are peoples thoughts on how competitive can you be on a reasonable budget. I know you could borrow a club gun but everyone likes to own their own stuff eventually.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    i would look out on forums for secondhand 10m rifles,try Targettalk or Stirton,these are dedicated target shooting sites.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

FWB601, a jacket that fits properly (don't skimp on the jacket) and a decent glove. You should be able to get that outfit for about £700. Then with a proper training plan you will become competitive.

Rutty

My Mum took up 10m Air rifle at the age of 63 and is using a S400 MPR with the Target rifle sights, it is not going to compete with a top end target rifle on its regulation or trigger but I shot 3P for Sussex about 4years ago and to be honest when I tried it I can honestly say it was me that was not performing not the rifle.

My Mum does have Kurt Thune Jacket (having a Son in the business has gotta have some perks) but no boots or trousers and she comfortably averaging 75+ and still improving so for a sensible starting point I would seriously recommend the S400MPR or look out for a secondhand one. Don't discount single stroke pneumatics still very accurate and around at sensible money.

Hope this helps

David

There have been a number of FWB300s for sale recently around the £200 mark, and, IIRC, on this forum as well. Excellent rifles.

fwb 602

a friend at my club has a fwb wants 400 for it. Will see if I can get picks let me know if your interested. Good rifle.

Hi there.I recently paid £750 for a second hand but very tidy fwb 700 basic,this is an ambi wood stocked rifle that apparently uses the same action and sights etc as the top of the range fwb 700's,so not too bad...

10m shooting on the cheap

I have taken the club gold with an FWB 300S Junior for a few years. A tuned down AA S200 with diopter sights is also a cheap useful contender...although my FWB springer will match it! I would not spend a fortune until you find out how you take to the discipline.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Hi there.I recently paid £750 for a second hand but very tidy fwb 700 basic,this is an ambi wood stocked rifle that apparently uses the same action and sights etc as the top of the range fwb 700's,so not too bad...
    I have the very same rifle. But, TBH, my scores haven't increased since my change from a Walther LGR/FWB300 to the 700. While it's a great rifle, it is probably a little light for me. But cocking (the hammer only) is so easy!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I have the very same rifle. But, TBH, my scores haven't increased since my change from a Walther LGR/FWB300 to the 700. While it's a great rifle, it is probably a little light for me. But cocking (the hammer only) is so easy!
    Unbelievably,i too have changed from a fwb 300 and a walther lgr and guess what,my scores haven't improved either.Like you say it is a little light but i have put a barrel weight on and also some stock weights which has made it much steadier on aim...

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    which has made it much steadier on aim...
    Could do with a bit of that!!!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The best cheap start to 10 mt is with either a Walther LGR or the newer FWB 601, both go for similar money at around £300, both are cheaper and better than an MPR and are easily capable of shootings 10's all day, with the right shooter of course!
    My personal preference is the older LGR which I think is better ballanced, but we have both as club guns and they are both excelent.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    My personal preference is the older LGR which I think is better ballanced, but we have both as club guns and they are both excelent.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Robin is of course completely correct!! And the LGR that I used for a year or so was the best 10m rifle that I have ever used. Probably even better than my FWB700!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Robin is of course completely correct!! And the LGR that I used for a year or so was the best 10m rifle that I have ever used. Probably even better than my FWB700!
    My wife after a just over a year with her Walther LG300 has got close but is yet to beat her personal best of 383 ex 400 with her LGR!
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I agree,the lgr is still a very capable rifle in the right hands.I was doing some bell target practice on monday with my fwb 700 and the guy i sold my lgr to whipped me good and proper.