Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Webley's vs Turkish Webley's

Proper Webley's vs Turkish Webley's

I'm trying to figure out how to know if a Birmingham built Webley is really a Brummie one and not a Turkish produced one. Apart from alledged quality differences, which I'm sure are true, how do you tell one from the other. Is there an obvious tell tale mark like a 'made in england' vs a 'assembled in england' stamping, serial number or other kabab vs balti stain etc etc. How do you tell a Friday afternoon Brummie rifle from an exceptional Turkish rifle?
    Joking apart, is there a foolproof way to tell?
    BSA & Webley

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Birmingham Webley's have the name of the gun deeply embossed on the reciever, they have Webley & Scott stamped on the breech block and they also say Made in Birmingham. Anything else is an imitaiton.

Brummie or not

Thanks ogilkes, that's what I wanted to know before I expand my collecting to the later guns, only familar with earlier stuff
    BSA & Webley

daveyb Guest

Easy

The British made ones are good guns and the turks are turds Had a longbow se was glad to get rid what a pile

dave

I had a Hatsan 105 underlever which grouped well at 20metres, thats if one considers a 3" group acceptable!!!

It's a shame,but i'm thinking they should not be
    called webleys,
    they arn't imho.
    If you look at the trigger on a new longbow,
    it looks like a diy job out of the spares box,
    the 'real' webley has a proper box type (hw style)
    job,
    the finish on the new ones is pretty poor,
    side by side,the british one is better.

The 'Turkish' Webleys might not be an issue much longer, as apparently Webley have gone into administration again.
    Birmingham made Webleys will become even more desirable, if production stops and even a Turkish made gun becomes a thing of the past?

webley

Evening to you all, intresting thats less than a year that AGS have had Webley. Hope somebody buys them and returns to making "proper" British Webleys. atb

webley

I hope someone buys them who is passionate about the webley marque and brings them home where they belong and not on foreign soil or am i asking too much
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I'm afraid you're asking too much I fear. All the machinery/tooling/expertise that Webley used to have in the UK is gone now and would cost millions to bring back. The easiest thing for them to do in fact might be to subcontract the work to BSA or Air Arms using Webley designs (assuming they wanted to sustain the competition)!

Slug-gun, how do you know? Doesn't really surprise me though, the turkish one's just weren't upto old webley quality..
    ATB,
    yana

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Birmingham Webley's have the name of the gun deeply embossed on the reciever, they have Webley & Scott stamped on the breech block and they also say Made in Birmingham. Anything else is an imitaiton.
    The Turkish made ones also have the lettering in white on the breech block and I think the model name is also in white on the cylinder.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

turkish crap.nuff said.coddy.

Turkish Webley/British Webley

Looks from the news that we wont even be able to buy a Turkish job in future! Will they become collectible?

Mike95

Don't think so..
    Indeed the turkish one's have the model name etc on it in 'colour', silver, gold, instead of ín the action in black.
    Also, the manufacturing date is on the breech, I believe it starts with TR.
    But finish says it áll, really..
    ATB,
    yana