Thread: hurricane spring??help!!!!!

hurricane spring??help!!!!!

can some nice person please please tell me what spring to put in my pistol...have had 3 diff ones from people saying webley tempest/hurricane spring.only to find that they must of sent the spring out of there pen!!! usless
    and they all been round not flat like old one,,,is there a good one to get or even an upgrade,,please help!
    many thanx richard
    DAYSTATE MK4is CUSTOM - BIG NIKKO
    DAYSTATE PANTHER - MTC GENESIS

and they all been round not flat like old one

The hurricane spring is round

Not sure what is going on here but if you want an original (and I can't think of any reason to put anything else in) TW Chambers is your friend:

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...cts.asp?page=2

jerry
    spring that came out was flat sided,as is my tempest?????
    also old ones were a lot longer..about 1 1/2 inches and they were the old ones??
    now im stumped..lol
    cheers anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post

The hurricane spring is round
    Jerry is correct about the Hurricane spring, it is round, perhaps someone in the past fitted a Mk1 Spring? They were flat and roughly the same size.

springs

ok guys i believe yous..
    but what the hell have i got in my two then???
    all i can say is when i put them back in gun was shooting so much quicker than with new ones??

Tempests and Hurricanes are dead easy to strip and relube. I'm not too hot on serial numbers but if the trigger is narrow, then it's an older one, if it's broad then it's newer.

I have a couple of Tempests, I love its heritage, the fact that it's the development of a line going back to 1922. I also love the fact that there's so little to go wrong with it!

To service, use a punch to push out the pins that hold the trigger parts in and the fore-end on. Take note of the position of the trigger parts, note how the trigger spring fits behind the trigger guard. Slide off the trigger guard and the plastic fore-end, push out the pin holding the metal plug in the fore-end of the cylinder. This will free the barrel, and as the pin comes all the way out, the plug and the spring will come free as well. There shouldn't be much preload on the spring but it will push the plug out as the pin comes out. Slide the barrel linkage out of the cocking slot, and the pistol is mostly stripped.

Clean the parts as best you can. If you can't wash them with solvent, a good clean with rags should do, but do make sure the inside of the cylinder is as clean as possible.

Check the piston head for wear... If you notice a split on the plastic piston head washer, don't worry, it's supposed to have that!

Lubes: rub Moly GN paste well into all the trigger parts, the inside of the cylinder, the inside and outside of the piston too. I find motorcycle Chain Wax aerosols good for spring lube, just spray it on quite liberally and you will find that it dampens out twang quite nicely. I put a little moly grease on the ends of the spring too. All the pivot points (like the pin at the fore-end that the barrel hinges on) will benefit from Moly GN paste rubbed in. Cocking will also be a lot smoother if you apply GN paste to the cocking slot and in the small t-shaped link that goes through the slot. Also, put some GN paste on the fulcrum, this is the bump near the barrel-hinge that the cocking link slides over as you cock it.

The trigger is pretty easy to strip and reassemble and does benefit a lot from being treated with moly paste, you just need to push out the pins in the trigger guard first, then the pins that the trigger parts turn on, then all the trigger parts come out through the slot in the underside of the trigger housing, but do pay attention to their orientation and the position of the small spring that is held in place by the front of the trigger guard, maybe draw a diagram, this will help when reassembling the trigger. Put Moly paste in the holes in the trigger parts and on the pins that they pivot on. The trigger may feel tight and heavy to start with but it will return to normal with a little use and will then improve still further!

These pistols really are improved a lot by modern lubricants. I know that Webley used to recommend just plain Webley Oil, but these pistols improve so much with GN paste, Chain Wax and a little grease too, I don't know why Webley never changed their lubrication instructions. I am sure that modern lubes like these will keep a Tempest running nicely for a much longer time than oil alone, it will be more pleasant to shoot and cock as well. I love my Tempest!

One final word about the roll-pins, it should be fairly obvious which side they were inserted from, you should try to remove and replace them from the same side that the original assembler of the pistol used, if you're lucky it will be obvious as on one side the holes around the pins will be flattened slightly, or the pins will be shiny where they have been tapped into place. pushing them out and replacing them from the same side saves wear on the holes and means that you don't have to peen the edges of the holes over to keep the pins secure. It's nothing to worry about as, serviced like this it should be years before you need to strip it again, it's about four years since I serviced my Tempest like this and it's still fine despite fairly regular use.

Quote Originally Posted by richard303 View Post
    ok guys i believe yous..
    but what the hell have i got in my two then???
    all i can say is when i put them back in gun was shooting so much quicker than with new ones??
    Don't know what that spring will be then, if it is a flat-wire Mk1 spring then it will be similar power or maybe a bit less?

+1 to all Rob's advice, especially the tip about chain oil.

Are you sure the pistol was shooting quicker before? its hard to tell without a chrono. It may be it is shooting smoother now with the correct spring, so it feels "slower", but the pellet may well be coming out as fast or faster. Its surprising what a difference in feel just changing the lubricants makes, as the actress said to the bishop.

deff faster ....and straighter..aim at a target and hit no probs...new spring same position and aim and pellet drops low.and you can see the pellet too??
    i will try chambers tommo..its really buggin me now..lol

chrono

will one of them £40 cronos work ok???

Do you mean a 'Combro'? They tend not to work with pistols as they fit onto a cylindrical barrel or silencer, you won't be able to attach one onto a Hurricane.

You can if you get a spare combro mount & cut it down by about half. Fiddly & you may have to cock the pistol before fitting the mount, but it should work.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.