Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35 The Collectable Weihrauch

HW35 The Collectable Weihrauch

I've always felt sorry for the old 35, had two myself, looking for a third, great rifles but I feel it never reached the top spot in its long production life.

When it first came out it was streets ahead of the stuff we were using in the late 50's/early 60's, but everyone bought then (the war you know and all that). Thanks to people like D R Hughes and Robert Law it started to take off in the late 60's early 70s and then AGW arrived in 1977 and the mainstream of airgunners put down their Airsporters/MK3 etc and flocked to buy it in their droves.

But despite its quaility, accuracy and great trigger people soon found that power wise they only got 9 to 10ftlbs. Weihrauch fought back, adding a safety and reducing the scope rails in size to a more common 11mm and got rid of that bloody click. The Export was born but just as HW were about to have their moment of glory, Disaster.

The FWB Sport appeared, shooters went nuts for this new boy, sleek action, powerful with a rakish stock, the cobby 35 was doomed. FT arrived and so did the Original 45. Then HW gave us the 80 and the 77 and numerous others since and the poor old 35 soldiers on in the range but does anyone still buy it.

Well they should, power is up to where it should have been and it looks good with the new style stock and if you prefer the Karbine barrel.

But its the old ones we should be interested in, plus a couple of the latest, just look at the variety stock wise, Std (old rounded pistol grip and the new Monte Carlo), Luxus, Export, Thumbhole, Safari, laminated on the KLS and finally I've even seen a Tyrolean one on an American site. And of course there is the Vixen... If I've missed any let me know.

Do you agree?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

Do you agree?
    ... Yep, right with you on this one (pics of a few HW35 stock types in my signature slide show if interested ) ... Viva La HW35 .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Yep, right with you on this one (pics of a few HW35 stock types in my signature slide show if interested ) ... Viva La HW35 .
    Gareth,

Were there different variants of the thumbhole stock? One of my mates has one stored at another mates (his current girlfriend doesnt like guns in the house) and I swear the butt of his is straighter and the comb is raised.

He has had his HW35 since I have known him, around 1981.

Cheers

E

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by engin View Post
    Gareth,

Were there different variants of the thumbhole stock? One of my mates has one stored at another mates (his current girlfriend doesnt like guns in the house) and I swear the butt of his is straighter and the comb is raised.
    Hi engin, not that I am aware but (a) anything is possible, and (b) I am not enough of an expert to give a definitive yes or no (for that we need the input of King Anorak -- our very own I.J. ). Mine is factory Kosher however, that I know so if your friend's example is as well, then the answer has to be yes me thinks. Interesting thread this -- God I love these collector section school lessons (every day is a school day ). Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-01-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: to ad my usual "every day is a school day" quip :-D

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I've always felt sorry for the old 35, had two myself, looking for a third, great rifles but I feel it never reached the top spot in its long production life.

When it first came out it was streets ahead of the stuff we were using in the late 50's/early 60's, but everyone bought then (the war you know and all that). Thanks to people like D R Hughes and Robert Law it started to take off in the late 60's early 70s and then AGW arrived in 1977 and the mainstream of airgunners put down their Airsporters/MK3 etc and flocked to buy it in their droves.

But despite its quaility, accuracy and great trigger people soon found that power wise they only got 9 to 10ftlbs. Weihrauch fought back, adding a safety and reducing the scope rails in size to a more common 11mm and got rid of that bloody click. The Export was born but just as HW were about to have their moment of glory, Disaster.

The FWB Sport appeared, shooters went nuts for this new boy, sleek action, powerful with a rakish stock, the cobby 35 was doomed. FT arrived and so did the Original 45. Then HW gave us the 80 and the 77 and numerous others since and the poor old 35 soldiers on in the range but does anyone still buy it.

Well they should, power is up to where it should have been and it looks good with the new style stock and if you prefer the Karbine barrel.

But its the old ones we should be interested in, plus a couple of the latest, just look at the variety stock wise, Std (old rounded pistol grip and the new Monte Carlo), Luxus, Export, Thumbhole, Safari, laminated on the KLS and finally I've even seen a Tyrolean one on an American site. And of course there is the Vixen... If I've missed any let me know.

Do you agree?

Ooooh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi engin, not that I am aware but (a) anything is possible, and (b) I am not enough of an expert to give a definitive yes or no (for that we need the input of King Anorak -- our very own I.J. ). Mine is factory Kosher however, that I know so if your friend's example is as well, then the answer has to be yes me thinks. Interesting thread this -- God I love these collector section school lessons (every day is a school day ). Atb: G.
    Ive only ever seen the Lochschaft (thumb hole) factory stock but that doesn't mean there isn't others. Perhaps some after market t/h stocks were produced. Maybe someone on here knows.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

HW 35 models

These are just to show how many different models there are. :-)

Remember,this doesn't include more recent versions. :-(

-------------------------
    Frank

THIS shows some of the more recent models. Ive never been interested in the Safari (green stocked, dull action) version myself.

ATB
    Ian

HW35

Thanks for the links fellows especially Alkmar for that lovely group of 35's. Ok so some variations are not to everyones taste (Safari my least favourite) but they are all great examples of the 35.

I just love the 35T especially with a HW Dioptre.

I am also pleased to note on HW's website that the 35 Export is still available.

I am also pleased to note on HW's website that the 35 Export is still available.
    Is this the short barrelled Export? If your going to have an Export you may as well have the classic long barrel version otherwise its like eating a toffee with the paper on - you loose something!

ATB
    Ian

HW 35

OPPORTUNISM ! I have a very early 35 DELUXE --- Im told that they werent called the EXPORT when this beauty was made. It has the 22 inch barrel wanut stock ( with the quaint checkered diamond up to the front of trigger guard), no safety probably made mid 50s condition is- all parts original ( inc sights) 90% finish to stock/action and I would sell this hoping it would compliment a 35 collection that you are so justifiably proud of ----- FOR £250 OH YES ITS A .22
    Last edited by camcoll; 13-01-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: to add calibre.

HW35

Thank for the offer Camcoll you dont know how tempted I am but I am really after a .177 Export with 11mm scope rails. (You don't mention calibre). I'd stick on here on the open forum I am sure that will get snapped up ASAP.

I.J I know what you mean about the shorter barrel, but the good news is I have limited length in my gun cabinet (no jokes please) so the shorter barrel makes sense. Its still got a bloody good looking stock on it, the best on any current HW. In fact the Export stock with the K barrel would be my ideal. I toyed with the idea of a 35KLS but all my local dealers have the model with the silencer. I know one dealer who had them with open sights (I want to fit a dioptre rear you see) but they only had .22 left and its a 140 mile drive to where they are.

The only downside of a new 35 or any new HW for that matter is that bloody awful legal stuff stamped by the safety about refering to the owners handbook etc.

HW35

BOUGHT A NEW ONE YESTERDAY - I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON IT. I HAD QUITE A LOOK AROUND BEFORE I DECIDED ON HW35 - I LOVE THE LONG BARRELL.
    I ALSO BOUGHT ONE OF THE NEW AIMX PISTOLS IN 177 - GOT IT FROM THE NICE MAN WHO RUNS THE GUN SHOP AT FORD, NEAR ARUNDEL.
    EXCELLELNT SERVICE.

Do you agree?

The only downside of a new 35 or any new HW for that matter is that bloody awful legal stuff stamped by the safety about refering to the owners handbook etc.
    The 'NO PART OF THIS AIRGUN IS EDIBLE' bit.

ATB
    Ian

i bought a new HW35 KLS about three weeks ago must say im very happy with it. i was shooting ten mm reducers @25 yards down the club and knocking em down. i won the recoiling section at the southern hunters last year with HW98 next year im using the 35 im that impressed
    H.R.P.C.....and proud of it

HW35

Nick out of interest what is the ME of your 35?.

I am suprised more people don't use the 35 as an alternative to the 95 or similar in the recoiling class in HFT because the breech lock must make it a more accurate break barrel than any of the others. And it runs pretty well at sub 12ftlb.

I suppose because its an "old" gun it lacks any Kudos or is the 98 just that that much better suited to FT.