Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get my sons onto springers.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!

Trying to get my sons onto springers.

My youngest son has owned his own rifle for at least 4 years now a Crossman 990 dual power. I bought him this particular model due to its light weight/plastic stock and recoiless action. He is 11 now and wants something a wee bit bigger . Looking through the mags and interweb yesterday he liked the look of a chinese made springer the QB57/AR10 which is a takedown bullpub rifle supposedly pushing about 7/8 ft lbs again eventhough he is now older weight is still a big factor. My standard S410K is still a bit on the heavy and long side. I fully intend to eventually get him a BSA Ultra or Scorpion but would like him to have a springer for a year or two first. Have any members on here tried any various smaller air rifles for their pre teen sons. My chum from Brum Pad E did not seem to keen on the above Chinese made bullpup so any dads/members who have tried their sons on other makes could you let me know. The reviews I have managed to find on this little bullpup were mostly positive, but these were on American forums. The YouTube review video's were again all positive but going back to a phone conversation with Pad E, he reckons the build quality leaves alot to be desired. Is Pads example a one off or are they all similar and POOOOOO.
    My 18 year old has surprised and delighted me by showing real interest for the 1st time recently, eventhough he's had a BSA Meteor in .177 I restored for 10 years now. I'll try him on my springers as well although he obviously is more comfortable with PCP's he likes my S410K equally like MallyAlly's Scorpion but I'll try him on the breakbarrel Venom 80 this coming week.

Thanks to MallyAlly for bringing his Scorpion to the club last week for the lads to use and the other members of Sandhall ARC for making them so welcome. I didn't manage much shooting spending most of the time loading magazines , but lets face it what more can a dad ask for then spending any quality time with his kids let alone a shared hobby . Both lads want to get out on another plinking session ASAP.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

I think a good gun for them would be the BSA Meteor MK6, BAR are doing a deal with a slip, scope and pellets quite cheap. They will be even cheaper soon because the MK7 is coming out.
    A.V Marochinni O/U 12 Gauge
    Baikal S/B 12 Gauge
    Air Arms S200 MK2 .177

If your boys have the chance to shoot PCPs, why not let them? So much easier than springers. The latest so-called "Meteors" are nothing like the real BSAs, just remamed Gamos, and not even full power. For the price of even a half decent new springer, you can get a good S/H PCP. I love springers, but PCPs are so much easier to shoot.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

The recent model Meteor Mk6 and the Mk7 (which has been out for over 12 months now) are both rebadged Gamo's.
    I had a MK7 for a short time and it was very close to 12ft/lb whereas the MK 6 is not full power.
    The triggers are very heavy and recoil is harsh but Im sure a strip and relube would work wonders.

Ive recently bought my daughter a Norica Sport in .177, its quite light and puts out about 7 ft/lb. The trigger is a bit heavy but not too bad.

An excellent springer for the younger shooters is a Weihrauch HW30, even better is the HW30S if you can get one as they have the Rekord trigger fitted. They are fantastic and shoot at 7 ft/lb but are very, very accurate.

I would personally stay away from Chinese stuff due to the build quality and quality of parts.
    I can highly recommend the Scorpion, had it for 2 years now, but it is a tad long but light. Also used to have an Ultra, which I regret selling. The only problem with the Ultra is the cocking system which might be a tad difficult for a youngster, though Im sure he would get used to it with practise.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobasmith View Post
    I think a good gun for them would be the BSA Meteor MK6, BAR are doing a deal with a slip, scope and pellets quite cheap. They will be even cheaper soon because the MK7 is coming out.

Just checked out the MK6 Meteteor its 6lb minus scope. I'll try my youngest on the earlier Meteor we already have. Thats more a less a full size rifle so would be great if he could handle it. Cheers for that .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    If your boys have the chance to shoot PCPs, why not let them? So much easier than springers. The latest so-called "Meteors" are nothing like the real BSAs, just remamed Gamos, and not even full power. For the price of even a half decent new springer, you can get a good S/H PCP. I love springers, but PCPs are so much easier to shoot.

Gus
    I fully intent to eventually get them PCP's but would like both to master shooting a springer first. I feel learning to shoot springers will give them a better start in the hobby than going straight onto a PCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Richards View Post
    The recent model Meteor Mk6 and the Mk7 (which has been out for over 12 months now) are both rebadged Gamo's.
    I had a MK7 for a short time and it was very close to 12ft/lb whereas the MK 6 is not full power.
    The triggers are very heavy and recoil is harsh but Im sure a strip and relube would work wonders.

Ive recently bought my daughter a Norica Sport in .177, its quite light and puts out about 7 ft/lb. The trigger is a bit heavy but not too bad.

An excellent springer for the younger shooters is a Weihrauch HW30, even better is the HW30S if you can get one as they have the Rekord trigger fitted. They are fantastic and shoot at 7 ft/lb but are very, very accurate.

I would personally stay away from Chinese stuff due to the build quality and quality of parts.
    I can highly recommend the Scorpion, had it for 2 years now, but it is a tad long but light. Also used to have an Ultra, which I regret selling. The only problem with the Ultra is the cocking system which might be a tad difficult for a youngster, though Im sure he would get used to it with practise.
    Good idea on the Norica and HW30 I'll do a search for the weights now. These will not be used for hunting more as a training rifle so 7 ft lbs will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Good idea on the Norica and HW30 I'll do a search for the weights now. These will not be used for hunting more as a training rifle so 7 ft lbs will be fine.
    No problem. The Norica sells for about £90 and teh HW about £120, a little more for the Rekord trigger version.

Andrew

Hi Gary it Les From Shandhall have look at thle HW 25 its half power looks ok. PS your suggestion to John and Keith from Mally about you know what was ok just let them know when.

Hi Gary.

I was just trying to be honest on the phone about the AR10, as you say I might have a duff one.

However when you see it in Feb 1st, you'll know what I mean, then if you like you can borrow it for aslong as you want.

I've done a Picture with some pointers >>HERE<<

When we used the AR10 I would cock & load it for my son as it was quite difficult for him especially with the opening breach.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi Gary.

I was just trying to be honest on the phone about the AR10, as you say I might have a duff one.

However when you see it in Feb 1st, you'll know what I mean, then if you like you can borrow it for aslong as you want.

I've done a Picture with some pointers >>HERE<<

When we used the AR10 I would cock & load it for my son as it was quite difficult for him especially with the opening breach.

Regards

Paddy.

Yo Pad cheers mate . Had some good input from other members. Looks like one of the smaller Weihrauchs sounds just the ticket. Will take scopes, have excellent Teutonic build quality, safety catches etc. The weight is not excessive and the prices new are reasonable. My son Adam being 11 liked the military look to the AR10 but as I was at pains to explain to him theres more to a decent air rifle than the looks. But he's looking foreward to trying your example buddy and really chuffed at your offer of a cammo paint job , cheers buddy.

Yo Pad cheers mate . Had some good input from other members. Looks like one of the smaller Weihrauchs sounds just the ticket. Will take scopes, have excellent Teutonic build quality, safety catches etc. The weight is not excessive and the prices new are reasonable. My son Adam being 11 liked the military look to the AR10 but as I was at pains to explain to him theres more to a decent air rifle than the looks. But he's looking foreward to trying your example buddy and really chuffed at your offer of a cammo paint job , cheers buddy.
    Gary you're welcome mate.

My offer still stands, whatever airgun you get your lad & if he wants it camo. I'll do it.

I know what you mean about looks goes along way, if you do get him a traditional style air-rifle & he likes the military looks Show >>THIS<< or >>THIS<<
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Gary you're welcome mate.

My offer still stands, whatever airgun you get your lad & if he wants it camo. I'll do it.

I know what you mean about looks goes along way, if you do get him a traditional style air-rifle & he likes the military looks Show >>THIS<< or >>THIS<<

I've already shown him all your paintjobs that you have links to mate, funny thing is those two were amongst his favourites .

Wow Pad.E what sort of moderator is that on the second cammo'd rifle, looks like some centre fire mods.

atvb

Bobs
    HW 100KT .22 Hawke Varmint II 4-16x44WEI
    HW 97K .22 Nikko Stirling Nighteater 6-24x44 HRA
    HW97K HW100K____________________________UCH ______AAS200 Ginb No.9

I've already shown him all your paintjobs that you have links to mate, funny thing is those two were amongst his favourites .
    Well I can do either for him, then

Quote Originally Posted by treboR View Post
    Wow Pad.E what sort of moderator is that on the second cammo'd rifle, looks like some centre fire mods.

atvb

Bobs
    Hi Bob.

It is actually a nylon cylinder that I got from my old work place. I bored it out to it could fit the barrel. So it would 'look' like a centre fie mod

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK