Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polygon barrels for airguns

Polygon barrels for airguns

has anyone opinions on these barrels?
    I know that polygon barrels has lead up problems with soft lead bullets in some handguns, but see some barrel blanks of this kind on sale (Chambers) and would like to test one on my FAC HW90 .25 cal.
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

That's what I'm wondering as well. Bút I thínk it's ok to use for airguns since their speed is far lower?
    The new Tau 8 pcp pistol has a polygone barrel.
    ATB,
    yana

Question

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    That's what I'm wondering as well. Bút I thínk it's ok to use for airguns since their speed is far lower?
    The new Tau 8 pcp pistol has a polygone barrel.

so, still a mistery...
    I'm wondering if the Tau use the polygon barrel for better performance o reducing the cost....
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

With the lower energies at work in even the most powerful air rifles it just isn't necessary to incur the extra expense.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    With the lower energies at work in even the most powerful air rifles it just isn't necessary to incur the extra expense.

what do you mean for extra expences? Usually production of polygon barrels are less expensive than traditional
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

Quote Originally Posted by salvin View Post
    what do you mean for extra expences? Usually production of polygon barrels are less expensive than traditional
    Really? Are you sure?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Really? Are you sure?
    Yes, industral production of polygon barrels is generally cheaper than traditional land & groove profile.
    Anyway, just received a mail from L. Walther and they suggest using traditional barrels for "target shoting"....

So, ....I have to keep my 25 cal HW 900 as it is (2" @ 30 yds) till Ben Taylor wonder barrels will be available....
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

Hey Roberto, would not blame the barrel for those groups. Can be difficult to shoot a gas ram accurately - even though 2" at 30 sounds terrible.

Scope OK? Maybe it's moving about inside.

Also removing the barrel may be less than easy, although having taken a look at your site, it seems that you know your stuff quite well.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by salvin View Post
    Yes, industral production of polygon barrels is generally cheaper than traditional land & groove profile.
    Anyway, just received a mail from L. Walther and they suggest using traditional barrels for "target shoting"....

So, ....I have to keep my 25 cal HW 900 as it is (2" @ 30 yds) till Ben Taylor wonder barrels will be available....
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Hey Roberto, would not blame the barrel for those groups. Can be difficult to shoot a gas ram accurately - even though 2" at 30 sounds terrible.

Scope OK? Maybe it's moving about inside.

Also removing the barrel may be less than easy, although having taken a look at your site, it seems that you know your stuff quite well.

Belive me, I tried everything possible to make this rifle shooting better...but no way. For this reason I'm thinking to swap the barrel, it's a sort of last chance.

Probably part of the problem is the pellet choice; in this caliber the market is quite poor, only the Diana dome 19.75 give acceptable groups. Other brands/models are simply useless.

Anyway .25 barrels on springers/gas ram are particularly pellet-fussy, especiallly if you go up with the power (I own also a terrible W&S Patriot same caliber).
    On pcp irguns things goes different, I shooted a Rapid 12/250 @ 50FP and it makes beautifull groups with 30 grains Baracuda (up to 100 yds or so...).
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

Is yr HW90 FAC or 12Ftp?
    In FACtrim they usually shoot terrible unless you let off some pressure!
    They're over pressurized from factory!
    They should shoot well with either baracuda or FTT.
    If you stíll wish to change the barrel, buy another HW one. About 72 euro's in germany..
    ATB,
    yana

My take on this, Roberto, is that the barrel has nothing to do with it.

A smoothbore barrel can get better groups than that.

The gun's recoil on the other hand probably has a lot to do with it. As hytyger is suggesting, try de-tuning a bit.

If the velocity drops too much because it's a .25, you may consider buying a used, complete with breechblock, HW barrel off here, in .22. Not sure whether it would have to be a 90 barrel or if other HW break barrel guns barrels c/w breechblock will fit - you'll have to find that out for yourself.

Personally except in PCPs at 40-50 ft/lbs+, I am not a fan of the .25 - too much commitment needed!!

One other thing to check - the lockup of the barrel. *Possibly* the recoil may be causing the barrel to "open" which of course would be no good. However I would expect vertical groups in such case.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

My take on this, Roberto, is that the barrel has nothing to do with it.

A smoothbore barrel can get better groups than that.

The gun's recoil on the other hand probably has a lot to do with it. As hytyger is suggesting, try de-tuning a bit.

If the velocity drops too much because it's a .25, you may consider buying a used, complete with breechblock, HW barrel off here, in .22. Not sure whether it would have to be a 90 barrel or if other HW break barrel guns barrels c/w breechblock will fit - you'll have to find that out for yourself.

Personally except in PCPs at 40-50 ft/lbs+, I am not a fan of the .25 - too much commitment needed!!

One other thing to check - the lockup of the barrel. *Possibly* the recoil may be causing the barrel to "open" which of course would be no good. However I would expect vertical groups in such case.

My 90 is FAC, actually runs @19FP, but have tested it from 15 up to 21..same story. Completely inconsistent.
    Sometimes there are some good spots, but nothing special, average groups are always 1,5-2" (with the best pellets..).

Belive me when I say I've tried everithing: seals, gas ram seals, schrader valve, muzzle recrowning, barrel joining new washers, lapping the barrel and so on. Also tried a new barrel of same caliber...
    Tested also a couple of different 90 same caliber but no difference.
    I know about the recoil management, ma dont think this is the issue (I've a bit of experience, owning many other FAC airguns: Eliminator, Patriot, HW80, Diana 52...).

Really I think there are no other things to do..., except to test a new barrel, meaning a different kind of barrel. For this reason I was thinking on polygon, or may be at the Taylor's smooth-twist...

In my experience, the only springer in 25 that is capable to shot good groups at FAc levels (18-21FP) is the Diana 48/52; with a good tuning kit prints 1,5-2" at 50 yards...

So, make this rifle shooting better groups is becaming a real challenge for me.

every suggestion is well accepted
    Roberto

www.airguns.it

Sell it Roberto!!

My 52, was frustrating for me, shooting the same groups as you shoot with yours, at 50M - under 2". I sold it... actually I did a deal on a 54.

I can get true sub-1" groups at 50M with the 54 (plenty of shots, not just a 3 shot "group").

Anything that shoots 2" at 30yd should be launched in a catapult, the group may be better that way...

Sell it Roberto!!
    no...could be useful for short range ratting, very short range...something like the lenght of the stock. It wear a solid Ginb stock, perfect for smashing their heads

Sell it Roberto!!

My 52, was frustrating for me, shooting the same groups as you shoot with yours, at 50M - under 2". I sold it... actually I did a deal on a 54.
    I can get true sub-1" groups at 50M with the 54 (plenty of shots, not just a 3 shot "group").
    Anything that shoots 2" at 30yd should be launched in a catapult, the group may be better that way...
    Yes, 48/52 can be a bit frustrating, but if well tuned are quite good springers.
    I own an highy tuned 52 in 177 running 18-19FP quite well, able to print 1-1,5"@50yds. It's heavy and hard to shot but I like it anyway.
    I dont like 54, lots have recoil absorption system issue...
    Roberto

www.airguns.it