Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BEST PLACE TO SHOOT RABBITS!!!!!!

hi all thanks for some of your replys some of you on here have got a good sence of humour lol...

right i would like to answer some questions now..so here goes

i have been shooting since i was 6 years old first gun i shot was a 4/10 shot gun then moved up to 12 bores when i was 12 so my aiming is really good i can get my grouping 15-25mm apart from 35yards and if i say shoot 5 pellets at least three of them will go through the same hole

i also have permission of a few land owners who i know through family so i got no worrys there the reason i ask about best places habitats etc. is because i dont normally shoot rabbits i go more for pheseant pigeons squirrels and stuff like that but want to start rabbit hunting as i have never tasted rabbit before so thought i would give it a try

In that case my answer stands, in the head dawn & dusk and a good place to start is any warren. These are easily spotted as they usually have small fluffy things bouncing round outside them
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

ok well as somone has said before check edges of the feilds hedges were the woods start etc but yet again ive been out and seen them in the middle of a reild so i supose reli its just pot luck as to were they are.

Quote Originally Posted by craigy View Post
    ok well as somone has said before check edges of the feilds hedges were the woods start etc but yet again ive been out and seen them in the middle of a reild so i supose reli its just pot luck as to were they are.
    You sure the ones in the field are bunnies and not Hare?
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

ok thanks guys the only reason i asked was i have been around a few of the feilds and not seen a soul i am off out tonite lamping with my cousin so hopefully we should see and get some

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    You sure the ones in the field are bunnies and not Hare?
    nope they were bunnies definatly

Quote Originally Posted by craig7582 View Post
    hi all thanks for some of your replys some of you on here have got a good sence of humour lol...

right i would like to answer some questions now..so here goes

i have been shooting since i was 6 years old first gun i shot was a 4/10 shot gun then moved up to 12 bores when i was 12 so my aiming is really good i can get my grouping 15-25mm apart from 35yards and if i say shoot 5 pellets at least three of them will go through the same hole

i also have permission of a few land owners who i know through family so i got no worrys there the reason i ask about best places habitats etc. is because i dont normally shoot rabbits i go more for pheseant pigeons squirrels and stuff like that but want to start rabbit hunting as i have never tasted rabbit before so thought i would give it a try
    Ah now thats all sounding a lot better

edbear2

hi mate,the answer to your question is no,it,s nothing to do with tame black rabbits being released,it,s genetic,to do with inbreeding and what it does is throw up black gene once in ablue moon,hence the black rabbits.And if you think about it,black is by far not the only colour of domestic rabbits,so where are the multi coloured wild rabbits?....hope this explains it .....all the best

Quote Originally Posted by minkstone View Post
    hi mate,the answer to your question is no,it,s nothing to do with tame black rabbits being released,it,s genetic,to do with inbreeding and what it does is throw up black gene once in ablue moon,hence the black rabbits.And if you think about it,black is by far not the only colour of domestic rabbits,so where are the multi coloured wild rabbits?....hope this explains it .....all the best
    On one of my shoots

Quote Originally Posted by minkstone View Post
    I looked into this ages ago, someone told me it was black rabbits they used to introduce mixi, so it could be monitored. Someone else had the tame rabbit theory.

I like to think it is a melanistic rabbit, it is the opposite of albino but more common as the black offers better camoflage (so better life expectancy for the gene to pass on). It is really common in some animals, like leopards / panthers.
    :: Freelance Designer ::

Today, I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.

I used to see a few melanistic pheasants when I was a game keeper years ago.

I also have a movie I shot out the New Forest where a White stag crosses a ride then a few other dear cross then a Black (melanistic) on crosses!!

Its not the best quality but its ok, does anyone know where I could sell the footage a bit like Harry Hills you been framed but for wildlife?

I thought it was a goat at first!!

Bump !! I know its more used to being posted in the for sale section but I would like to know if anyone could help me with where to try and send my video ?

Born Again Guest
    Assuming that you're a competent shooter looking for a shoot, try to find a farm with a copse in the middle, rabbits love to dig in woodlands and raid the surrounding fields every night. Woodlands are often slightly higher than the surrounding land, the trees stop soil erosion, and rabbits love well drained soil. Who wants to sleep in a puddle ?

Also, fields near dykes and raised railway lines will be full of bunnies for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Whats the story on the black bunnies around here (ledbury/hereford/west side of the malverns)....is this a normal strain, or have they bred from escaped pets?......have seen loads in the last 5-6 years
    have black bunnies on a few of my shoots,,,i asked the landowners about them and they said they released them to see if they had people poaching,,,,,ie if the black ones were to suddenly dissapear and generally less rabbits around they would have a reason to think someonetaking them,,
    i got told not to shoot them for this reason,,so i would check with landowners beforehand if i were you,,,you dont want to loose your hard earned permision